Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH MY GAWD!! I wish I had known all this stuff. I just sent an order to Forrest today. What can I do? Someone help, please.......

You are too funny. If you think it's not such a big deal, then why don't you offer to cover the losses the customers of AHS and their banks have incurred?

OH MY GAWD!! I wish I had known all this stuff. I just sent an order to Forrest today. What can I do? Someone help, please.......

You need to find out if the badguys have your credit card number. Post it here and I'll check for you.

Ugh. I ordered AHS them a fortnight ago, and did get a call from Chase asking if a hotel room in Mexico was an authorized charge (it was, we're headed there on vacation next week). I think I'll just call the credit card company tho, and cancel the card preemptively, since there seems to be WAY too many occurrences of fraudulent charges from them of late.

I do think it's somewhat bad form for AHS to have not reached out to customers about this by now. Something similar happened with another online company I use recently, and they immediately emailled everyone on their mailing list alerting them that there was a chance card numbers could have been compromised, and asked everyone to watch their cards over the coming weeks.

Spoken like a man who hasn't considered what it might be like to be in the shoes of those who were affected... If it was 'you' whose life and business were disrupted, you might have just a 'wee' bit more interest and compassion...

Your comments are definitely 'drive by' in nature with an intent to 'agitate'... called "stirring the shyt".. and not helpful to the situation...

Credit card fraud is a serious issue. I'm amazed that someone can come here, as you seem to be doing, to mock those who have had their financial information so blatantly mishandled/misused.

If you have something constructive to contribute then please do so. Otherwise, please have the decency and maturity to get your kicks elsewhere.

Spoken like a man who hasn't considered what it might be like to be in the shoes of those who were affected... If it was 'you' whose life and business were disrupted, you might have just a 'wee' bit more interest and compassion...

Your comments are definitely 'drive by' in nature with an intent to 'agitate'... called "stirring the shyt".. and not helpful to the situation...

DWRHAHB, I'm sure Sudbuster was just trying to lighten the situation, I got my new card and my AHS order in the mail today! I'm looking forward to brewing beer, drinking beer, and ordering more ingredients form AHS!

Given my previous impressions and experiences of AHS, I'm kinda surprised there's no official response to the thread's "obviously they store info" topic that's been going on for pages and pages... even a simple "we're changing things so that payment info goes thru a secure portal and the store never sees the #s" post would do a lot for us customers.

Given my previous impressions and experiences of AHS, I'm kinda surprised there's no official response to the thread's "obviously they store info" topic that's been going on for pages and pages... even a simple "we're changing things so that payment info goes thru a secure portal and the store never sees the #s" post would do a lot for us customers.

I sort of agree...

But I also hope that Forrest and the rest of the AHS staff are working more towards the problem, rather than sitting here monitoring this thread. I mean; no offense to HBT, but what % of AHS' customers are members of this forum? Not that we should be "ignored" - but I'm sure as owner of one of the (or the?) largest homebrew stores in the nation; they are working on it.

I also find it laughable that many are so critical of AHS yet blindly hand over their CC to some pimply 19-year old at a restaraunt without thought of what said kid may be doing with your CC# and security code....

And before anyone starts the "don't cry for me Argentina" comments towards me that sudbuster is receiving; I was hacked from an on-line brew store before (not AHS); as well as many other CC fraud issues - so I know the problems. And if you're truly getting stuck with bad charges, I would highly recommend changing CC companies rather than bitching at other members on here...

Remember the post TxBrew made and olllllllo re-quoted a couple days ago.....

TxBrew said:
I know this is hard topic to talk about without getting angry, missing money is not an easy thing to be OK with.

I'm asking that everyone refrain from personal attacks, bypassing the censor, and generally being disrespectful.

I appreciate you all, and do not want comments left in off topic to cause issues.

Bank refunded my money day after the fraudulent transaction posted. I've already made another purchase from AHS using a different card.

DWRHAHB, I'm sure Sudbuster was just trying to lighten the situation, I got my new card and my AHS order in the mail today! I'm looking forward to brewing beer, drinking beer, and ordering more ingredients form AHS!

I'm as smart assed as they come.. but even I am old enough to know there's an appropriate time and a place.. He's 'definitely' old enough...

But I was more or less just making an observation on his mockery.. I'm not taking it personal... That would be petty...

I just wanted to throw this out there...

Although this deal is a 'Major' PITA for me for a couple weeks, I 'did' get a great deal on some shiny new perlicks, that I would not have been otherwise able to afford at this time...

And while they don't make the PITA from this deal go away, they do make it easier to deal with... And down the road sometime, this event will be water under the bridge, but I will still have this wonderful new hat for my girlfriend, Miss Keggy.....

Three is better than one.. and although this isn't the fanciest hat at the church picnic, it beats the hell out of that stupid chrome pole with the single sticky grindy faucet!

And it's totally true what they say.. These things don't stick!
:mug:

faucet_box_21.jpg

Since this thread has slightly turned off topic - maybe Forrest should hire this guy to get to the bottom of it.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my card information was stolen two weeks ago they have tried to spent over $5K on my card. The only one that got through was at a Pizza Hut in the UK. They keep trying to use it at the same Pizza Hut everyday, including two $62.00 charges yesterday. How can they not catch these people if they keep trying at the SAME PLACE EVERY DAY!

Of course, I use a bank from a small town(~1300 people) in Oklahoma. Frankly, I was shocked they caught it in the first place!

meangreen83 - have you cancelled that card and had a new one re-issued? It doesn't sound like it, if you're still able to track what the crooks are trying to do with the card. The bank will block most of them, but sooner or later one or two is bound to get by...

And I've gotten some clarification from a couple folks on what Walker and riverfrontbrewer have been posting about. Seeing that, I'm leaning more and more towards avoiding AHS outright until and unless AHS starts providing some transparency into what's going on here. It sounds as if Forrest is trying to reassure people on this thread, where everyone can see it, that he's handling information correctly and that his security and procedures are sufficient to protect that info, but then in private messages to at least some concerned parties he's being a little more forthright that his policies were not at all sufficiently secure before this mess started.

In that light, I'm no longer confident he's been upfront with us regarding his new policies. Considering that, though an awful lot of his kits look mighty tasty to try out, I think I'll be shopping elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

I don't really care if his 'previous' policy was risky.. I mean, by now, we're all pretty well aware that there was a problem, so he might as well put it all out there... At this point it will do more good than harm..

What I want to see is:

1) Total Honesty and transparency (describe exactly what happened)

2) A change in the way he does things...

I think that's all the vast majority here want to see...

You can't even begin to fix a problem until you first admit you have one...

I don't really care if his 'previous' policy was risky.. I mean, by now, we're all pretty well aware that there was a problem, so he might as well put it all out there... At this point it will do more good than harm..

What I want to see is:

1) Total Honesty and transparency (describe exactly what happened)

2) A change in the way he does things...

I think that's all the vast majority here want to see...

You can't even begin to fix a problem until you first admit you have one...

Exactly...

The repeated statements of I have looked into this and the problem is not with AHS are not reassuring at all. Nothing against Forrest, but what are his qualifications to conduct a investigation? Much less a computer forensic investigation if the leak is related to the handling of information on computer systems? It comes across as empty sentiments to ensure that we continue to order.

I know that the majority of people who have been effected by this are not out actual money, although there are a few who had their debit card stolen which is much more serious. The point is that nobody should have to go through this because of sloppy handling by a retailer. And while they have not lost any money in the process their time and inconvenience does have a very real value.

I ordered from AHS on 1/15. I got something in the mail today saying there was fraudulent activity from Bank of America. Called them and they said somebody overseas had called them trying to get info about my account but were unsuccessful. They're mailing me a new card with a different account number.

Grr.

My friend and I recently had cards compromised. He had two and I had one. The only place that we had both used these cards recently was Austin Home Brew.

Your inbox is full......please clear

meangreen83 - have you cancelled that card and had a new one re-issued? It doesn't sound like it, if you're still able to track what the crooks are trying to do with the card. The bank will block most of them, but sooner or later one or two is bound to get by...

And I've gotten some clarification from a couple folks on what Walker and riverfrontbrewer have been posting about. Seeing that, I'm leaning more and more towards avoiding AHS outright until and unless AHS starts providing some transparency into what's going on here. It sounds as if Forrest is trying to reassure people on this thread, where everyone can see it, that he's handling information correctly and that his security and procedures are sufficient to protect that info, but then in private messages to at least some concerned parties he's being a little more forthright that his policies were not at all sufficiently secure before this mess started.

In that light, I'm no longer confident he's been upfront with us regarding his new policies. Considering that, though an awful lot of his kits look mighty tasty to try out, I think I'll be shopping elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

Cleared... 5 messages in in/out box is more restrictive than I expected. Maybe I oughtta upgrade at some point soon. ;)

I'm typically only a lurker but feel the need to throw my hat in the ring. I'm by no means pointing fingers but last week I placed my first order with AHS after all the good reviews on here. Just got a call from Chase, $6k in fraudulent charges=account closed. I have nothing bad to say about the product or service, but at this point its beyond coincidence. Until I hear of some sort of resolution, I'm going back to Midwest based on years of problem free ordering. I hope they can resolve this issue.

This eternal thread has done several things for me. I ordered hops rizomes from AHS on 2/9 using a debit card. Hopefully that was two days after they were aware of a problem. I ordered on 2/9 but my card wasn't run until 2/11. Where was my card info for two days? I called them after reading the OP and was assured that I would be OK.

Not sure I will continue to use AHS. It "appears" that they are denying any culpability in this. Yet dozens of posters here have been victims. All with one thing in common. Time for AHS to make a definitive statement about what may have happened and what steps have been taken to prevent another occurrence. That or face a probable exodus of customers. Keep in mind that we are only hearing about HBT members. How many total customers have been effected?

I have used my debit card for years for countless online purchases. So far I have never had a problem. I will change that practice.

I have added the first person to my ignore list. Can't stand whiners or post queens.

So now I check my bank balance several times a day. Waiting for all this to clear.

This eternal thread has done several things for me. I ordered hops rizomes from AHS on 2/9 using a debit card. Hopefully that was two days after they were aware of a problem. I ordered on 2/9 but my card wasn't run until 2/11. Where was my card info for two days? I called them after reading the OP and was assured that I would be OK.

Not sure I will continue to use AHS. It "appears" that they are denying any culpability in this. Yet dozens of posters here have been victims. All with one thing in common. Time for AHS to make a definitive statement about what may have happened and what steps have been taken to prevent another occurrence. That or face a probable exodus of customers. Keep in mind that we are only hearing about HBT members. How many total customers have been effected?

I have used my debit card for years for countless online purchases. So far I have never had a problem. I will change that practice.

I have added the first person to my ignore list. Can't stand whiners or post queens.

So now I check my bank balance several times a day. Waiting for all this to clear.

Maybe wouldn't hurt to call the card company and have them flag the card as 'possibly' compromised just to be safe.

Hermit said:
Maybe wouldn't hurt to call the card company and have them flag the card as 'possibly' compromised just to be safe.

I don't know if you can do that. As soon as you say it's "possibly" been compromised they will cancel and reissue to protect themselves. It's probably a good idea for anyone that's dealt with AHS in the past month or so to get a new number just to be safe. It's surely a pain but would give a little peace of mind.

I don't know if you can do that. As soon as you say it's "possibly" been compromised they will cancel and reissue to protect themselves. It's probably a good idea for anyone that's dealt with AHS in the past month or so to get a new number just to be safe. It's surely a pain but would give a little peace of mind.
Well, since the card is a debit card I would tend to take the proactive route instead of just hope nothing hits it. According to things in this thread a debit card is at greater risk of not being reimbursed.

people. rather than go through the effort and time of checking your balance daily to see if something is amis, just go to your bank and get a new card. its really not that difficult... cards are compriomised all the time, and it happens to national retailers as well.. remeber TJMAXX a few years ago? stop&shop has had it happen as well. ive shopped at both over the years, so just to be safe, when i heard the news, i just went to the bank and requested a new card, no cost, no worry, no inconvenience. some banks will even give you a temporary card to use until the new one is issued.

if your bank wont do this, switch banks.

i cannot believe what a big deal people are making of this.

dont assume its "possibly" compromised, if you have any concern at all just get a new card issued. problem 100% solved. anyone who's shopped at AHS in the past few months should just get new cards issued, then they wont have to react when and if their bank account is drained or their CC is dinged for whatever and we wont have the daily drama of victim stories be posted. stop being victims, be proactive and make a call or visit and cancel/reissue whatever cards you used.

easy. done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back