Quantcast

Ever Dumped a Brew? Regrets?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

walker111

Reaction score
On brew number 82 and had to dump brew 78 a few months ago. Was a 3 crop creme ale and love that beer. When I was kegging I noticed a film layer on the top of the surface in the fermenter. I do 10 gallon batches and had to dump the first one. Taste was soso but smell was there. The second one was kegged a few weeks later and had some hints but not near as bad and is in my keezer now.
Not sure of what went wrong to this day. Must have picked up an infection in fermonster is my best guess.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm about to dump 5 gallons of cider. I just can not get past the sulphur smell and taste :( I had such high hopes for this batch, to...

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i haven't read all the posts and haven't gotten to the second page......but my god their are alcohlics that would gladly take these dumpers from you, just need to figure out shipping.... a keg weighs ~40-50lb's...flat rate is $35 or so.....i need to try more of your dumpers....call me crazy, i'm curious what you call a dumper?

OzGolfPro

Reaction score
My first attempt at a marzen. After a series of glorious blonde ales, my confidence was brimming. I’ve never had a marzen/Oktoberfest style beer, I don’t think we have even a good example here in Australia.
I researched the perfect grain bill, ordered some fresh German hops, as well as some authentic fresh Oktoberfest liquid yeast.
Unfortunately living in rural Australia several days transit away from the source I think the liquid yeast was a bit tainted by the time it got here. Also at the time I was naive enough to not really understand pitch rates.
The marzen has since been referred to as the “fart beer”, due to the outrageous amount of sulphurous esters picked up during fermentation. I chalk it up to a learning experience and I definitely learned much from it, however the pain of watching as most of a keg absorbed itself into the front lawn is a constant reminder to not be overconfident and do my due diligence before trekking into untraveled waters.

Beermeister32

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 5 gallon batch of sour I did with Roeselare. Waited 2 years, it never improved, or maybe it was me, just didn't taste like something I wanted to suffer through 5 gallons of. Not even sure I wanted to dump it on the lawn, emptied it behind the building at work...

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I will confess I poured out the last third of my one and only keg of barley wine after a year of it lingering along in my 6 tap keezer. Finally just got tired of it, tbh...

Cheers!
This happens to me on occasion with big beers. I end up bottling the left over beer and stick it in the fridge or basement and taste latter in life. I had a Kate The Great Imperial stout that I drank 4 years later, tasted damn fine too. Nowadays I only brew 3 gallons of Imperial beer, leave the 11 gallon batches for the IPAs, Pales, Amber ales. These get consumed quickly.

Cellar_Dweller

Reaction score
I always give a beer a fighting chance first but I have no problem dumping a batch if it takes a turn for the worse. I like to brew frequently so there is always more coming online behind it. I try to learn at least something from the experience and then move on.

MagicRat

Reaction score
I dumped my third batch, an all-grain hefe. It was also the last batch for which I did not take OG/FG readings.
I don’t know what went wrong to this day. My process has changed very little except obviously I can tell that fermentation has actually occurred without relying on simply the passage of two weeks.😆
Every bottle gushed like a volcano.
I’ve made 3 or 4 that I wasn’t exactly pleased with but still drank them. One was an ESB. Another was a red IPA. Nothing wrong exactly, just chalked up to poorly conceived recipes that looked good on paper but not in practice.

Latest posts