Quantcast

Evaulate my crush

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wlssox524

Reaction score
I recently bought a Cereal Killer mill and would love some input on my crush. I set the mill to ~.38 thousandths of an inch using a feeler gauge and this is the result on a few ounces of 2-row. I realize consistency is what really matters but trying to get a feel for whether this looks like a reasonable starting point. I'm hoping for ~75% efficiency

As a side note, the rollers now have a bunch of grain particle stuck to them. Do people clean these off or just leave them?

Thanks!

crush 1.jpg

crush 2.jpg

Reaction score
I'd brew with it! It looks like a 75% or better crush to me. As for the rollers, a lot of people just leave them. I blow mine off with compressed air just because that's my preference.

finsfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good to me! I dont clean my mill out, which was bought used, and I havent had any troubles yet (fingers crossed)

jro238

Reaction score
I usually brush mine down with a paintbrush after I finish using it (I do like the idea of compressed air though...I think I might start doing that instead).

Doed

Belching Dog Brewery
Reaction score
I'd say your crush looks pretty good. If you BIAB run it through again.

I also use compressed air to blow out my Barley Crusher...wear some sort of eye protection. ;)

one-L

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure the compressed air works great. Not having a compressor at home, and while using my MM one day on the back porch, I noticed the leaf blower was sitting there from an earlier job. I will just say that in addition to blowing leaves, it makes a pretty good mill cleaner as well. You just don't want to be the person downwind :rockin: