Ethanol, Dry Ice, and Wort. Need the critics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Ive read through a few threads on here from people wanting to simply drop dry ice in their wort. I have a slightly different idea and need some constructive criticism.

Mix 2 gallons of ethanol with 2 lbs of dry ice. That mixture would rest in a ss kettle that would then be used like a HERMS system almost. You would submerse a copper chiller and then circulate the wort until pitching temp is reached.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Cost isn't a concern too much. Dry ice isn't that expensive and I would imagine that the ethanol could be reused.

Thanks in advance!

Would it work? Absolutely. But I would be concerned about wort freezing in the coil. Maybe there's a magic ethanol / dry ice ratio.

For science!

So Ive read through a few threads on here from people wanting to simply drop dry ice in their wort. I have a slightly different idea and need some constructive criticism.

Mix 2 gallons of ethanol with 2 lbs of dry ice. That mixture would rest in a ss kettle that would then be used like a HERMS system almost. You would submerse a copper chiller and then circulate the wort until pitching temp is reached.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Cost isn't a concern too much. Dry ice isn't that expensive and I would imagine that the ethanol could be reused.

Thanks in advance!

Ethanol is highly flammable. And where would you get it. At the gas station or distill it yourself which is illegal?

We flash-freeze stuff using this method in the lab. But I'd have to echo the above comments - your risk of freezing the lines is high, as is the cost, and you do get ethanol vapour formed when you do this, which is a fire risk.

A simpler/safer/cheaper method would be to setup the same rig, but use a water-ice/salt bath. (or just water & ice; although the salt bath will be colder)

B

Latest posts

Back