Estimated efficiency for higher gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphagolf

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am attempting my first higher gravity mash tomorrow, shooting for around 1.087-1.090 OG. I batch sparge and usually have overall efficiency of 75-80%. I calculate my grain bill using 75% and usually hit my target OG or overshoot by one or two points. These beers have been in the mid to low 1.050's.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for lower efficiency at higher gravity? Should I try for 70% or even 65%? Any advice is appreciated.

alpha

I would say try what you think and adjust. I usually get 70-75% but I just did a 1.090 and I got 86% hmmmn.

Good luck!

I would stick to what you are currently gauging your efficiency on and maybe drop a few points if you think you might not achieve it. We are not typically that much lower in efficiency on higher gravity beers if they are light beers but if we are doing higher gravity dark beers then we will adjust more. If your process is the same then you will know what you need to do next time. Go lower if you are concerned. You can always adjust if you are too high.

Thanks for the help. Ended up getting 65% efficiency with a 1.084 OG, planned for 70%. Close enough for me on first try.

Back