Essential non brewing equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KIMG2069~2.JPG

This for the heavy lifting, I do like the hydraulic carts pictured above and will most likely get one as there are many uses for such a device, just cannot see how to maneuver the fermentation vessels into and out of the chest freezer fermentation chamber.

I've always used string tags for kegs, but like the plant tags, still have a bunch of string tags, but will consider the plant tags, when these run out.
White-Merchandise-Tag-T451-6-S-WH.gif

it may be a while, you can use them on a bottle or growler as well

Love the plant tag idea. I have been trying to find a better way to label my kegs and this is brilliant and cheap! Thanks
Just ordered mine. Only 3 left on Amazon!

Last edited:

An episode dedicated to what we are discussing here.
When I saw this I immediately ordered the butterfly hose clamps. I had no idea these things existed. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit how many times I’ve jabbed my hand w a screwdriver trying to tighten hose clamps.
Another thing she mentions is microfiber cloths- I use the same ones. They have a million uses and are easy to clean.

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I’m heading out now to my local hardware store for butterfly hose clamps and those plastic tubes for rubber bands!

I bought some chalk pens a few months back so I could write/draw on the kegerator (freezer front is painted chalkboard black). The pens came with some chalkboard labels that are the SHIZNIT for labelling kegs; easy to clean off, and unless they get too wet, easy to read. Chalk pens are also great for writing on glass, so I can label my yeast slurry jars to know what's in them, when I remember to do so; today brewed up an American Strong ale that needed some Notty slurry. Had two jars in the fridge that I did not label (don't drink and keg, kids), fortunately the notty was slightly green from the hops in the last beer it was on.

I bought some chalk pens a few months back so I could write/draw on the kegerator (freezer front is painted chalkboard black). The pens came with some chalkboard labels that are the SHIZNIT for labelling kegs; easy to clean off, and unless they get too wet, easy to read. Chalk pens are also great for writing on glass, so I can label my yeast slurry jars to know what's in them, when I remember to do so; today brewed up an American Strong ale that needed some Notty slurry. Had two jars in the fridge that I did not label (don't drink and keg, kids), fortunately the notty was slightly green from the hops in the last beer it was on.
Might have to try that for the yeast jars. "Surely I won't forget what I put in you buddy - Plenty of time to come back and label you later and I really should get back to drinking this pint..."

Might have to try that for the yeast jars. "Surely I won't forget what I put in you buddy - Plenty of time to come back and label you later and I really should get back to drinking this pint..."

I use mason jars for storing yeast, I would write on a postit note put that on the top of the lid, screw down the band, and it would hold the note and the lid in place.

I also use mason jars, and write the strain and "born on" date with a black Sharpie on the lid. When it's time to recycle the jar, if the lid hasn't aged out (some of them are over a decade old now :)) I wipe the ink off with a bit of acetone on a scrap of paper towel...

Cheers!

Latest pick up for wife who requires carbonated water on draft. Struggled with removing the Sankey retaining ring (I keg 15 gallons of water at a time and not aware of a 15 gallon corny keg) and almost purchased a tool designed for it's removal. It was $2 vice the $30 for the specialized tool.

63697_W3.jpg
Torpedo 15 Gallon Ball Lock Keg

MoreBeer has 15 gallon ball lock kegs, but they're definitely not cost-effective when you can get a new 1/2bbl Sanke for about half the price.

View attachment 721460
Maybe not essential but still pretty important. I mainly use it for hops but I’ve heard of people storing their grains in vac seal pouches.
Even if the grains aren’t in vac seal pacs I still push the air out and use the sealing function to keep them securely closed and keep spills at bay.

^ me too. Every fall I drive to the Columbia Gorge and buy salmon and steelhead from the native groups. That’s enough fish to last the year. I process the meat and it all goes in vac seal bags. I can take it out of freezer a year later and not notice any difference.
I sometimes think about buying a fancy chamber vacuum sealer but will suffice with what I have now.

I have a 15l bucket that is the perfect size for the grainfather malt pipe to sit on. Also have a small dolly for wheeling the grainfather around on.

Back