ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogaloo

Reaction score
Got a starter of WYEAST 1028 going yesterday for an ESB I plan to brew Sunday. Im going to pick up my ingredients on brew day. how does this look for a recipe?

5.5 gallon batch:

Target OG 1.056, IBU 40

10 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz Special Roast Mash at 152
6 oz Crystal 20
4 oz Crystal 120

2oz EKG 4.9%AA @ 60
1 oz EKG 4.9AA @ knockout

Looks darn good to me. Looks a lot like one I did a while back, and it was awesome.

Oh, and hang on to that 1028. I have found it to be awesome and incredibly versatile. At warmer temps, it's typically English. At cooler temps (60-62ish) it's really clean. I've been using it in IPAs, pale ales, lawnmower beers, all sorts of stuff.

Help a noob out here on this though--EKG and Fuggles hops are always mentioned for English styles. I notice no Fuggles are mentioned for the recipe. Would you say EKG is more floral while Fuggles is more earthy? And second question: why the Special Roast? What does that add?

Some people don't like Fuggles, just like some people don't like cilantro.

Looks darn good to me. Looks a lot like one I did a while back, and it was awesome.

Oh, and hang on to that 1028. I have found it to be awesome and incredibly versatile. At warmer temps, it's typically English. At cooler temps (60-62ish) it's really clean. I've been using it in IPAs, pale ales, lawnmower beers, all sorts of stuff.

Good to know about the 1028, as I plan on doing the same thing. I think that's what I used in the ESB I have fermenting now (London ESB??). The starter was pretty vigorous and fermentation for me took off quicker than expected. I plan on harvesting this for another English beer.

I prefer US Goldings to EKG. After a time in the bottle, I pick up a terrible "metallic" taste in my beer from EKG. I am a big fan of London ESB 1968 for making everything other than stouts, and for those I use Irish Ale 1024.

I'd use a hop addition around the 15-20m mark to get some clean hop 'background' flavour. Simplest would be to reduce the 60 and add an oz of EKG.

I prefer US Goldings to EKG. After a time in the bottle, I pick up a terrible "metallic" taste in my beer from EKG. I am a big fan of London ESB 1968 for making everything other than stouts, and for those I use Irish Ale 1024.

How do you like the Irish Ale strain? i've wanted to try it out, but have been hesitant since a lot of people claim to get overwhelming diacetyl flavors.

How do you like the Irish Ale strain? i've wanted to try it out, but have been hesitant since a lot of people claim to get overwhelming diacetyl flavors.

Personally, I have never encountered high levels of diacetly in beers fermented with the Irish Ale 1084. Just be sure to pitch the proper amount, oxygenate your wort and do your best to maintain a constant temperature during active fermentation. I like to keep this strain right about 65 to 68, or a little cooler if you want a slightly cleaner fermentation.

boogaloo, I really like the Irish Ale 1084 yeast. I ferment all my ales at the lower end of the fermentation range (60-62*F), that way I still get the desired malty character w/o worrying about esters. In some stouts a little bit of the "fruity" character is desired to be style correct, so I will ferment a bit warmer. I was given a bottle of Guinness last week as a gift, and when I tasted it, there was a fruitiness to it I have never noticed when on tap.

007 dry English Ale @ 60 to 65* has never disappointed... I totally agree with the 15min hop addition

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Back