ESB recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris A

Reaction score
Hello-

I would like to make the attached recipe but need a little help. Instead of 5 gal I’m making 2 1/2. My question is do I just halve all the ingredients? Do I need more than 1/2 lb DME for the boil? How much steeping water? Boiling water? Recipe calls for late malt addition, is that appropriate for 2 1/2 gal. Generally I do a full boil. If I do full boil, do I adjust amount of hops?

Thanks for any assistance.
Chris

Attachments

• FD260C9A-2828-441B-86C4-B56A6AB9A0D9.jpeg
    FD260C9A-2828-441B-86C4-B56A6AB9A0D9.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 23
My question is do I just halve all the ingredients?
Halving all the ingredients (other than water) is a good starting point. With water, one needs to account for boil off rate to get to the target batch size.

Do I need more than 1/2 lb DME for the boil?
No. A low gravity wort, during the boil, will help with hop utilization. Adding the LME at the end of the boil is intended to minimize the color impact of a longer boil.

How much steeping water? Boiling water?
For a 2 1/2 gal batch, it would be reasonable to steep/boil with the "full volume" - 2 1/2 gal + what you boil off in an hour.

Recipe calls for late malt addition, is that appropriate for 2 1/2 gal.
Yes. Adding the LME at the start of the boil is another valid option.

Generally I do a full boil. If I do full boil, do I adjust amount of hops?
I will suggest double-checking the hop additions with your favorite recipe software.

Don't know what your source of water is. I use tap wap treated with campden tablet because we have chloramines in the water. I always have some bottled spring water to top up. Hint always have 1 more gallon on hand than you think you'll need.
Fact spring water generally has been RO treated, so it really isn't spring water

Thanks. I have RO faucet at home.

Hops is what I’m most concerned with. Appears this recipe uses same amount of hops as the all grain version which is a full volume boil. Guess I will just add hops as per recipe and know that it may be too much bettering. Trial & error. Onward.

if you can get a copy of clone brews all the recipes are for extract, partial mash and full grain. I have lent my copy out or I could let you know what they say.

Latest posts

Back