Erlenmeyer Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea how much shipping is for these?

Ordered 1, thanks OP! We'll see what the shipping cost ends up being.

I might have to look into these. I went looking for an Erlenmeyer flask a couple months ago and found out you can't buy one in the state of Texas. Apparently people use them to make meth so you can't buy one without applying for a permit. I looked into getting a permit out of curiousity and you basically have to sign a waver that gives a narcotics agent access to search your home and interrogate you. I decided it wasn't worth it and found a glass jug to use instead. Who knows what kind of "contraband" a narcotics agent might find while going through my homebrew equipment. :(

"Say, what is this thing you call a "hygrometer" and what do you use it for? And please explain this copper coil that suspiciously looks like something off a moonshine rig I saw on the Dukes of Hazzard."

It is true that the invoice does not show shipping cost... But at $52 for four 5000ml flasks they could charge me UP TO $120 and it would still be cheaper than other places. In reality it won't be anywhere close to $120 - as soon as I know I will pass along the info (my four are backordered for 2 weeks which at that price is ok with me)! And the 1000ml ones showing $20 must be because they are more popular.... Don't really know - but I can assure you the price for the 5000ml ones will go UP once they realize the sweet deal...

I got a certificate warning when I went to the site. Sorry but not putting a CC# into a site that I can't verify

I don't know much about it but my Firefox is saying the cert is verified by VeriSign, Inc, and it gives a serial number for the cert as well as an issue/expiration date.

I Googled the company. They've been around since the 70s. They have an OK BBB rating and I don't see any major complaints anywhere.

The same flasks are sold by other scientific sites, so it must be an OK product.

Assuming the site is legit (which it sounds like it is) I'm willing to order a few. My only concern is the shipping. I don't like surprises.

Shipping is typically $15-$20 for a single item...

Source of your info?

Even if it was $20 that would be $34 per 5000 ml flask - Midwest wants $40 plus shipping...

Just got the "are you a meth lab because we only sell to reputable people" email from them.... Responding - we shall see if they consider Homebrewing to be on the same level as criminal activity...

I might have to look into these. I went looking for an Erlenmeyer flask a couple months ago and found out you can't buy one in the state of Texas. Apparently people use them to make meth so you can't buy one without applying for a permit. I looked into getting a permit out of curiousity and you basically have to sign a waver that gives a narcotics agent access to search your home and interrogate you. I decided it wasn't worth it and found a glass jug to use instead. Who knows what kind of "contraband" a narcotics agent might find while going through my homebrew equipment. :(

"Say, what is this thing you call a "hygrometer" and what do you use it for? And please explain this copper coil that suspiciously looks like something off a moonshine rig I saw on the Dukes of Hazzard."

I believe this is an outdated legal issue. Austin Homebrew sells them everyday with no problem.

Are these borosilicate? The site doesn't say and the part number they list is not included in the MSDS sheet provided. Also, the manufacture's website they list doesn't list the 5000ml flask.

I believe this is an outdated legal issue. Austin Homebrew sells them everyday with no problem.

I explained they are for Homebrewin' and it wasn't an issue. The GM said he'd get them shipped out!

they are boro - see below description:

Borosilicate glass flasks are designed to give the best combination of thermal shock resistance, physical strength and resistance to chemical attack. The flasks with interchangeable joints are particularly suitable for all glass apparatus assemblies.

The product description on that other website linked to by b-boy indicates that it is borosilicate.

I gave up looking for a big erlenmeyer flask to use for starters due to the high prices (I use a gallon bottle instead, paid $1 for it). I don't usually make a purchase without knowing up front how much shipping will be but I pulled the trigger in this case. Too good a deal to pass up.

How did you guys know I was looking for the 5000ml...
Awesome!
Thanks for the heads up

i work in dallas and it's more convenient for me to hit up a LHBS here & fly home with supplies then trek to the store "closest" to my house. the shop here doesn't carry flasks b/c of the meth association - wasn't clear if they don't want to, or aren't allowed to, but they don't sell 'em.

sweetcell said:
i work in dallas and it's more convenient for me to hit up a LHBS here & fly home with supplies then trek to the store "closest" to my house. the shop here doesn't carry flasks b/c of the meth association - wasn't clear if they don't want to, or aren't allowed to, but they don't sell 'em.

May need to get one myself.

Rundownhouse said:
I don't know much about it but my Firefox is saying the cert is verified by VeriSign, Inc, and it gives a serial number for the cert as well as an issue/expiration date.

Hum not getting the warning now. Maybe the updated since earlier today

Well, just ordered two 3K flasks for ~$15.00. Now, I'm just hoping shipping doesn't turn around and bite my azz.

wow....it must be a typo. better buy em up before they figure it out.

It is not clear from the website that it is made of borosilicate. If it isn't made of borosilicate, it may not be able to handle the thermal shock of going from boiling to an ice bath.

Phyrst said:

Austin Homebrew Supply in Austin, Texas sells flasks with no effort. I've bought 3 from them with no waiver. In fact, first time I've ever heard of this.... Do you have a link to a state website or something to confirm?

just placed an order for 2 - $28.62 total; plus shipping, I guess. they state "Freight will be determined at time of invoicing", but after placing the order they did not let me know what shipping will be. Should still be a heck of a deal.

I got an e-mail response back, they said it should be $10-15 for shipping. I ordered two, not sure if the shipping was for both or each. Either way it's a good deal.

They also inquire as to why one would need these : )

I picked up 2 5L flasks and a cleaning brush for the flasks.
$28.62 for the 2 flasks, and $6.42 for the cleaning brush...... $35.04 total ! yeaaa

PLUS SHIPPING?????????????????????

THANK You for this find!

:mug:

great find Fred! I ordered 2, 3L flasks for $15.30. Even if shipping is $15 it'll still be less than I paid for a 2L locally.

P.S. just got my order acknowledgement, $15 shipping as well. So they cost me $5 more than my 2L!

Mine was 15 BUCKS in shipping for four 5000 ml flasks!!!! 67 total! Midwest wants 190 for the same! SWEET deal!

Just ordered a 5L -- thanks for the heads up Fred! According to the invoice it's back ordered; hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later!

EDIT: According to their response, the 5L flasks are backordered approximately 2 weeks. Shipping to Ontario was $18, putting my total in at just over 30 bucks. That's still nearly $20 cheaper than my LHBS. Not bad!

Back