Equipment questions when going partial mash and all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrupled

Reaction score
I am planning on going AG in the next year, but would like to ease into it by first brewing a few by partial mash. I have been really impressed with DeathBrewer's sticky (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/) about going partial mash, but still have a few questions.

My mash kettle is 22 quarts and I have a second 8 quart pot that I would like to use for my sparge water. Northern Brewer's site indicates that an 8 quart pot is sufficient, but that it is the minimum volume required. I realize that the amount of sparge water is completely dependent on the amount of grain being mashed, but provided that I am only mashing a few pounds of grain, will 8 quart pot be sufficient?

Also, would it be a wise idea to measure your gravity after mashing the grain (partial mash) and would it be easier to obtain a gravity on-the-fly using a refractometer as opposed to pulling a full hydrometer test jar of hot wort? I have not read that anybody adjusts the amount of extract that needs to be added, but I would think that if you are attempting to achieve a specific OG that you may want to add additional DME if your gravity is too low.

Lastly, what grain milling device is recommended? It seems that the monster mill is rather popular, but there are still a number of people using other popular, and less expensive, mills like the Barley Crusher and Revvy's "Ugly Junk" Corona Mill is really impressive as well.

Thanks for the input.

Large 10+ gallon pot or get a keg and cut the top off. Barley crusher is great for me. Especially handy if you have group grain buys. Also a immersion chiller ia key. Make one yourself to save some $. I do biab so not much more equipment needed.

Back