Equipment needed for Belgian bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I keg and also do some natural carbonation in 22oz bottles. But what do I need to but so I can bottle with corks and wires in Belgian bottles. I have a hand held capper but I'm sure that won't work.

I'm brewing a Saison next and want to put all of it in Belgian bottles with corks.

I guess I'm basically just asking what type of capping device do I need for corks?

I'm sure this has already been discussed somewhere but can't really find the answer I need.

THX,

A standard bench capper will get the job done. You can usually rent them from your LHBS. Mine was a $100 deposit and $5 a day. Make sure you get the right corks though. There's specific corks for belgian bottles.

I used to use the hand capper, and without a doubt, I'd break at least one bottle per batch. Then I switched to the floor capper and the process is easier and I have yet to lose one bottle. So, forget about renting one, just go by one and save yourself time and bottles.

If you want the easiest way with the least amount of tinkering order a Ferrari champagne corker either bench or floor (I have floor model). Then I think morebeer.com has the cheapest prices on cages and corks (other than st pats for corks). The other homebrew sites rip you off BIGTIME on corks AHB is like $4 or $5 for 12. If you plan on using 375ml bottles you can either use a brick as a spacer or build yourself something that fits on the spring loaded base. I use a brick because I'm too lazy so far to build something to hold up the 375s. They're just a **** hair too short for proper pressure to cork.

Back