Equipment crossroads/induction...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
How many of you have come to a point where you need to re asses your equipment and goals?

I feel like I am at a crossroads here.
I have an 8 gallon kettle for stovetop BIAB, a keggle for propane burner action BIAB, a pot for 1 gallon test batches and miscellaneous other items from wort chillers to pumps, blah blah blah.

My issue is I really want to settle into a zone instead of being all over the map.
I am strongly considering creating an induction brew space in my basement.
3 gallon BIAB seems to be my go to lately but I do mix in 5 gallon batches this time of year, just not as much as I used to. I know what induction unit I will purchase but I want to build the space first as well as asses other variables. Water, cooling etc.

Who has gone the induction route and not looked back or regretted it? I am specifically looking into 120V only which should serve my 3 gallon BIAB needs just fine.

I just don't want to purge everything else just yet.

Cost, control box, and dedicated pot I suppose.

I guess if there was a control box on the market for the same price as an induction element I could swing either way though and use one of my current pots.

Induction is the way to go as long as you have a pot that is induction ready.
I cant comment on using 120V as I do 220V with the Avantco IC 3500 (3500watts). I think the highest you can do on 120 is 1800watts which may be enough for 3 gallons, but 5 gallons batches would take forever to heat up.

Induction is the way to go as long as you have a pot that is induction ready.
I cant comment on using 120V as I do 220V with the Avantco IC 3500 (3500watts). I think the highest you can do on 120 is 1800watts which may be enough for 3 gallons, but 5 gallons batches would take forever to heat up.

You can do 2000W on a 20A 120V

How many of you have come to a point where you need to re asses your equipment and goals?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Literally Everyone.

In 12 months I rebuilt my system three times going from extract to full volume boil and then to eBIAB. I could have saved some cash by skipping the first two steps, but honestly I learned quite a bit doing it this way.

Look at your brew day, decide the two or three biggest pains, and then fix those. Then brew on your new system for a while and see how it goes. Re-evaluate like this as often as you want and as your budget allows.

Valid points.

I am 100% set on biab. I also agree that this is a method I wish I started out with to avoid some headaches along the way. But experience is half the battle.

If I run the cook top, pump for recirc and pump to recirc ice water in the chiller I may be pushing the limit of a circuit for sure.

I may have to re-asses some stuff. I can probably get a dedicated 220V run no problem. The box is literally 5 feet from where I want to set this up in the basement. Id rather 100% have the ability to brew 5 gallons on this then struggle to brew 5 gallons.

Im just at a point where I want the simplest and most efficient brew method possible.
Adding a sink for cleanup down there would be the icing on the cake but that is a horse of a different color right now.

If you have the option, go 220, you will have the capability to expand if you decide to later. Also you will be able to use a stronger element, I.e. faster ramp times and probably better boil

Im just at a point where I want the simplest and most efficient brew method possible.
Adding a sink for cleanup down there would be the icing on the cake but that is a horse of a different color right now.

The biggest cost and complication in getting 220/240 installed is the difficulty running the power lines. If you're in your basement and the breaker is right there, it is VERY EASY to install a 30A 240 breaker and run the short section of 10/3+1 to a Spa Panel.

If the thought of that makes you nervous, you can also just use 120v with extension cords to get more than one circuit, even if that means you have three separate extension cords out :)

Latest posts

Back