Equipment and Process Required to Test for DMS & Precursor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
I'm curious what equipment is required and what the process looks like to test for the presence of DMS in wort / finished beer.

So much of the professional literature focuses on macro brewery conditions that it's really hard to get good data that can be appropriately applied to home brewing-scale systems.

We know that the DMS precursor S-Methyl Methionine exists in malt and generally increases in quantity as the protein content of the malt increases, we know that SMM content is decreased as the kilning stage of malting continues and therefore the lightest color, least linked malts have the highest quantities of SMM and therefore the highest risk of DMS in finished wort / beer.

We certainly know that they keys to controlling DMS are having a rapid, uncovered boil to evolve off DMS as it forms and to rapidly chill below 160F after boiling to prevent additional amounts of SMM from forming into DMS and then being unable to escape. We also know that vigorous fermentations also help to evolve off DMS through CO2 evolution.

BUT, most of the estimates on the rate of DMS evolution during the boil are certainly based upon commercial mega lager brewery production and involve surface area to volume ratios that are many, MANY times smaller than the typical home brew-sized boil kettle.

We also know from these mega breweries and other studies that comercial calendria-based and "merlin" boil systems can evolve off DMS much, much faster than the typical rate in a "normal" large commercial brewery. -There's plenty of reasons to believe that because of the much higher surface area to volume ratio of a home brew 5 or 10 gallon batch that we should be evolving off much more DMS much faster than a typical commercial brewery. My hypothesis is that 90 minute boils for home brewers, for the purpose of DMS evolution, even when using 100% light lager / pilsner malt is an unnecessary practice and 60 minute boils at home brew scales will result in at least a 79% evolution of DMS. (The same as a 90 minute boil for the big guy.)

I'm considering filling for an AHA Research Fund scholarship to test my theory, so I'd like to know what type of equipment and test procedure I would need to measure DMS.

My plan would be to measure the DMS in wort in a typical keggle for a 10 gallon batch. I'd like to test a number of variables between batches and retest including: boil vigor (I have an electric brewery and can manually set the heat output for the boil), covered vs. uncovered boil, rapid chilling vs. slow / "no chill" brewing, 100% Continental Pilsner vs. 2 Row Pale vs. Lager Malt, DMS in wort vs. finished beer: split batch fermentation between vigorous 68F ale fermentation and 50F lager fermentation, and using CO2 to forcibly reduce DMS in finished beer (aeration stone in keg hooked up to CO2 bottle)- does it work?

Adam

Additional question: Does anyone have a link to the source that Dr. Brad Smith is referring to in his article on DMS when he mentions that during the boil the "half-life" for DMS is 40 minutes and that 64.7% of DMS evolves off in a 60 minute boil and 79% during a 90 minute boil?

I'd like to track down the source to see what system was used to achieve these results? I'm betting a 10BBL+ steam-fired boil kettle...

Adam

Alternative question: Does anyone know of a brew lab that offers a reasonably priced DMS test by mail?

I know a brew lab in Yakima, Washington but they only list hop-related tests, I think because of their close association with Hop Union...

Adam

The ASBC has an MOA (Method of Analysis) for DMS using head space gas chromatography with chemiluminescense detection. Not the sort of thing we'd expect a home brewer to be doing.

Thanks, AJ!

Now I just need to locate a lab that could do the testing for me via submitted samples and I can get a cost estimate to submit with my proposal.

Unless I can find a place that will rent GC lab equipment for a month...

Adam

Thanks again, AJ!

I reached out to the Alpha Analytics folks in Yakima to see if they would be willing to perform DMS testing and what they'd charge per sample. (Because honestly I don't even want to mess with the testing and calibration of the equipment even if I could get free equipment rental and I'm definitely not going to pay for the ASBC MOA just for one test; I'd rather outsource that part to professionals, anyway...)

They have many general beer testing and particularly hop-related testing services, but don't offer DMS testing as a standard offering but they're so close to me, I had to ask...

Adam

The problem with most of these tests seems to be that either you turn the sample over to a tech who has to expend considerable labor to carry it out (expensive) or he shoots it into a machine that is so expensive it runs up the depreciation bill faster the tech's labor just sitting on the bench.

The Siebel Institute provides numerous lab services related to malting, malts, hops, water and brewing.

The DMS test is $156 US and requires 2 bottles for samples.

The laboratory services appear to be carried out at (or by?) White Labs out of San Diego, CA.

Thanks for this. I'll check up with White Labs and I have another possible lab source now, too. The Yakima guys said that they definitely aren't setup to do diacetyl testing.

I'm not going to ship from Seattle to Siebel in Chicago so they can turn around and submit it back to California, I'd just send it straight to White Labs if I was going to do that. $156 per sample would probably be too cost prohibitive as this is going to require a good number of tests...

Adam

The problem with most of these tests seems to be that either you turn the sample over to a tech who has to expend considerable labor to carry it out (expensive) or he shoots it into a machine that is so expensive it runs up the depreciation bill faster the tech's labor just sitting on the bench.

Yes, BUT. Depreciation is tax deductible. (Even on assets that are actually appreciating, which makes no sense to me at all...)

Adam

Back