Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the score, Damn. Guess they forgot there was a game tonight. Anyway, still early. Lots of time for a sweet comeback..........

Let's GO RANGeRS!!!!!!

Besides, Biron been solid for us all year. Everyones entitled to a bad game now and then. Let's go, tighten up the d and score a few. Comeback of year.............

Sabers look like garbage. No guts, nothing to even attempt to make a statement. They just got hammered. Flyers scored seven straight after an awful first period.

Wait, wait...they just started trying to get frisky with 1:39 left, while on the power play. Pretty ballsy to act tough when you're up a player on the ice. Turds.

Sabers look like garbage. No guts, nothing to even attempt to make a statement. They just got hammered. Flyers scored seven straight after an awful first period.

Wait, wait...they just started trying to get frisky with 1:39 left, while on the power play. Pretty ballsy to act tough when you're up a player on the ice. Turds.

You'll still lose in the first round with that shvtty goaltending (probably to Pittsburgh).

Boleslaus said:
You'll still lose in the first round with that shvtty goaltending (probably to Pittsburgh).

Maybe. But the Buffaslugs aren't going to make the playoffs even with Ryan Miller in net. Sabres only have 3 guys with 11+ goals. Flyers have 8.

You can't win on goaltending alone, but the standings show you can win more often by out scoring your own inconsistent goaltending than not scoring at all like Buffalo. If the Flyers could win a shootout or OT, they'd be much closer to the Rags. They have 7 OT/SO losses, tied for the worst amongst the teams with 70+ points.

We'll see about the Pens on Saturday.

Northjerzyg said:
Guess ur right, our comeback of the year reamains. I beleive it was a 2 goal deficit during that game, what's it called, OH yeah, the Winter Classic..............

Definitely been bigger comebacks than 2 goals in the league this year. Flyers came back from 0-2 tonight to win 7-2.

When was the last time the Rangers went past the second round of the playoffs? Hint: it's been 15 years, and the Flyers beat them to go to the Cup Finals.

They're going to lose at some point.

I'm definitely not a Rangers fan...but it has been 35+ years since the Flyers WON the cup. That's what really matters right?

Boleslaus said:
I'm definitely not a Rangers fan...but it has been 35+ years since the Flyers WON the cup. That's what really matters right?

copyright1997 said:
And after this season is in the books, it will be 36+ years :)

It's been a minute, but the Flyers are one of the most consistent and highest performing franchises in the league. They have top 5 attendance, even a few years ago in their worst season in franchise history, they we top 10 I believe.

They had the second longest playoff streak right behind Detroit until that one miserable season after the lockout (06-07).

They're a solid franchise that just hasn't been able to finish in the Finals. Since the mid-70s.

Philly is a great hockey town. So is Buffalo, actually. NYC and Toronto? Hell yeah.

There are better things to trash talk about than the last time a team won a cup - but maybe I'm biased... Yeah, definitely.

My point is none of you should be talking bout cup droughts - you don't know suffering like Leafs fans do!

(and Canucks fans, since they haven't ever won, ever - and have been around 40+ years)

(and the LA kings, too while were at it)

That's what people trash talk Flyers fans about - the cup drought, Philly fans in general, Phillies battery incident(s), and snowballs thrown at Santa. They're the cliche things everyone likes to talk about. Otherwise, Philly wins, they're successful, they never have financial or attendance issues, and they have dedicated, loyal fans who are tough on their own team because we expect them to win every night, and even tougher on the opponents and the fans generally know the game.

Philly has become notorious over the years for some of their shortfalls - it was big, lumbering defensemen when Bob Clarke was GM and the game was changing away from that. It's been a goaltending circus for going on 20-30 years. Clarke was also notorious for going after players way past their prime. He had some good things put together. The Legion of Doom was one of the best lines in hockey. But some blunders will always be looked at with a what if approach (trade for Lindros), etc.

Philly is just one of those cities you have to see a game in, even as a fan of the visitor.

It was awesome to put a check in the box when I saw a game at the Bell Center this year, even better it was a Flyers win. The Joe and Toronto are two other places I'd like to see Flyers games. And sadly, I have not been to MSG yet, but that's in the works for next year.

And that trouncing last night was one dose of payback for all the games Buffalo crushed Philly and its road cone defensemen (Hatcher, Zhitnik, Gauthier, Randy Jones, Rathje, and 11 other d-men who played for the Flyers that season) back during the 2006-2007 season.

Of the 17 players on defense in 06-07, only three are in the NHL now -Pitkanen, Randy Jones of all players, and Brayden Coburn, the only one left with Philly.

The first two season out of the lockout were ugly for the Flyers when playing Buffalo. They went 4-7-3 including playoffs and were outscored 63-38 with a 9-1 game in there.

I would say your GM is not among the best in the league. He's not bad, but he's cut in the same mold as Clarke. Neither one of them believe in goaltending. Trying to score more goals than you'll give up is not a way to win a cup.

I would say your GM is not among the best in the league. He's not bad, but he's cut in the same mold as Clarke. Neither one of them believe in goaltending. Trying to score more goals than you'll give up is not a way to win a cup.

Don't tell the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's that, seemed to work ok for them.

I wouldn't say Homlgren is one of the best GMs in the league, though I think he is good and gets a bad rap from most fans. Some of the questionable decisions he's made have to make you wonder how much it was him and how much of it was Ed Snider pulling the strings.

That being said, I love the returns he got on Carter and Richie this summer. And getting Grossman from Dallas for a 2 and a 3 isn't bad, and it would be pretty damn good if Grossman wasn't an UFA after this year.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see this team playing out the way it has, no one here did. When they signed Jagr, he was the brunt of jokes all around town. And the production he's gotten out of the returns on the Richards and Carter trades, I'll admit have been way better than I was expecting.

dfess1 said:

Um...he signed Bryz...a guy with top 5-10 numbers consistently.

He went after Biron, who did well in Buffalo. Vezina trophy goalies aren't available left and right.

You can't fault Homer because Pronger was hurt and is out for the year or the other injuries they've had on the blue line this year. The guy is committed to winning and based on the moves this summer, obviously isn't content with just good enough or the status quo.

mpenn35 said:
I wouldn't say Homlgren is one of the best GMs in the league, though I think he is good and gets a bad rap from most fans. Some of the questionable decisions he's made have to make you wonder how much it was him and how much of it was Ed Snider pulling the strings.

That being said, I love the returns he got on Carter and Richie this summer. And getting Grossman from Dallas for a 2 and a 3 isn't bad, and it would be pretty damn good if Grossman wasn't an UFA after this year.

What questionable decisions? He brought the team out of the worst season in franchise history to the playoffs in one season.

He got an awesome deal out of the Forsberg trade and the Richards/Carter moves.

No one has retooled a roster like he has in a single season, twice, and produced the same results.

Look at how well the team has performed with the amount of turnover it saw this year and the the number or rookies (ie draft picks/trades) that are performing at a high level. Read could win the Calder trophy.

dfess1 said:
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see this team playing out the way it has, no one here did. When they signed Jagr, he was the brunt of jokes all around town. And the production he's gotten out of the returns on the Richards and Carter trades, I'll admit have been way better than I was expecting.

Yeah, Simmonds set a career high for goals as well. And if you're not a Flyers fan, you probably missed the amount of games missed by star players like Pronger, Briere, JVR is out indefinitely, etc. They've fought the injury bug this year and are still 4th in the East.

Homer has been one of the best GMs since taking over. He hasn't missed the playoffs since taking the job and have only been below 95 points for a season once, and that was the year they lost in the Finals to the Hawks.

You all are just jealous.

What questionable decisions? He brought the team out of the worst season in franchise history to the playoffs in one season.

He got an awesome deal out of the Forsberg trade and the Richards/Carter moves.

No one has retooled a roster like he has in a single season, twice, and produced the same results.

Look at how well the team has performed with the amount of turnover it saw this year and the the number or rookies (ie draft picks/trades) that are performing at a high level. Read could win the Calder trophy.

Like I said, I like him, but he's made some "bad" decisions lately:

Signing Pronger to an awful 35+ contract, which counts against the cap even if he retires.

The Kris Versteeg trade(s)

Passing on Hyka in the draft (and drafting an enforcer with that pick), inviting Hyka to camp where he was phenomenal, showcasing him in preseason games, trying to sign him then realizing that they couldn't and he would reenter the draft next year.

Bryzgalov. I love Bryz, but his contract is just plain bad. Nine years at over $5 per...

Of course, he's made some good moves too, like bringing in Jagr and Talbot, getting Mez for cheap, signing Matt Read (who should win the Calder), and while it's still waaaayyyy too early to tell, the returns on Richie and Carter are looking nice. Unfortunately, the cap could go down next season, and that will make it hard to bring back some of the upcoming FAs...

I just hope he doesn't make a big splash at the deadline and send JVR or some other good young assets packing for Suter, Schenn, or Nash...

Looking for a big regulation win by the nucks! Keep those fluttering leafs where they are So the jets can shoot past them with a couple of should be easy 2 pointers this coming week. ;)

mpenn35 said:
Like I said, I like him, but he's made some "bad" decisions lately:

Signing Pronger to an awful 35+ contract, which counts against the cap even if he retires.

The Kris Versteeg trade(s)

Passing on Hyka in the draft (and drafting an enforcer with that pick), inviting Hyka to camp where he was phenomenal, showcasing him in preseason games, trying to sign him then realizing that they couldn't and he would reenter the draft next year.

Bryzgalov. I love Bryz, but his contract is just plain bad. Nine years at over $5 per...

Of course, he's made some good moves too, like bringing in Jagr and Talbot, getting Mez for cheap, signing Matt Read (who should win the Calder), and while it's still waaaayyyy too early to tell, the returns on Richie and Carter are looking nice. Unfortunately, the cap could go down next season, and that will make it hard to bring back some of the upcoming FAs...

I just hope he doesn't make a big splash at the deadline and send JVR or some other good young assets packing for Suter, Schenn, or Nash...

How was the Verstewg trade bad, gave up a 1st and 3rd for him and traded him for a 2nd and 3rd...didn't get what they paid, but that's hardly bad...the guy didn't perform in Philly like he did at times in the past. Now he's having a solid season. Such is life.

Pronger's contract is risky, but that's te way it goes when dealing with older players who are still at the top of the league in their level of play.

How/where else are you going to get top-tier goaltending for less money? Everyone bitches because the Flyers were cheap in the crease for years, and now people ***** because they spent money on a guy. Doesn't help he's been mediocre in his first year, but I think he'll get there. He's been frustrating at times and brilliant at others.

I heard the Schenn deal was canked as soon as it went public that JVR had a concussion and that's who the Leafs wanted.

Don't know much about Hyka.

How was the Verstewg trade bad, gave up a 1st and 3rd for him and traded him for a 2nd and 3rd...didn't get what they paid, but that's hardly bad...the guy didn't perform in Philly like he did at times in the past. Now he's having a solid season. Such is life.

Pronger's contract is risky, but that's te way it goes when dealing with older players who are still at the top of the league in their level of play.

How/where else are you going to get top-tier goaltending for less money? Everyone bitches because the Flyers were cheap in the crease for years, and now people ***** because they spent money on a guy. Doesn't help he's been mediocre in his first year, but I think he'll get there. He's been frustrating at times and brilliant at others.

I heard the Schenn deal was canked as soon as it went public that JVR had a concussion and that's who the Leafs wanted.

Don't know much about Hyka.

Versteeg was just a waste of a trade. A first and third for him for 1/3 of a season in which he wasn't very good for us. It wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't good, and we didn't break even. If Versteeg had a better partial season in Philly than he did, it would be a non-issue.

I love Pronger, but his contract was just extremely risky. If he hadn't had all these injuries, it wouldn't be an issue. Of course, Homer didn't know these past two years would be so riddled with injuries, but that much money on a 35+ is just scary. Of course, without him, we wouldn't have made the Cup finals a few years back, so I'm certainly not mad about acquiring him. Just the contract.

Tomas Vokoun. After we signed Bryz, Vokoun eventually signed a $1.5 million, 1-year deal. Bryz is better, but I would have rather saved the money and had Vokoun and Bob in net together. That being said, I really like Bryz and think he gets way too much crap from Philly fans and Philly media. Most of it is because of his contract, but that's not his fault. He's had a rough start to his career here, but I'm confident he'll turn it around.

Frankly, I'm glad the Leafs lost interest in JVR. He's shown flashed of brilliance at times and looks like he could become a dominant power forward in the league for a long time. I like Luke Schenn, but not for the price Burke would want for him.

I hope you don't misunderstand some of my criticisms of Holmgren. I in no way think he's a bad GM. I think he's a very good GM, I just disagreed that he hadn't made some "bad" moves.

Regardless, we've got a penalty-filled game against the Pens going now. I was bottling a stout and forgot about the game and missed the first 15 of the first but so far it's been a physical game. Any info on how Grossman has looked?

Grossman was alright. I don't even want to talk about the game. I just watched it and the officiating was an embarrassment to the league and all of professional sports.

That 2:00 boarding call on Staal was a travesty. It should have been a match penalty, 5:00 major. And the fact they have Timonen an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play for arguing for a major was a joke. The goaltender interference call on Simmonds where he was pushed in was terrible.

Add that to the miserable goaltending by Bryz and some weird fluke bounces against Bob and it was ugly. I thought things were going to go well with how they started off with Jagr's pair. The rest was just bullsh*t.

Back