Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only Atlanta's fault they couldn't make it work in the NHL. Trust me, it's all about money. If they were making money, the league would not be moving the team.

I'm all for a new Canadian team or two though. Too many teams too far south IMO. It's ok for the snowbird states, but otherwise, meh. It just perpetuates crap teams like Dallas and Phoenix.

Missed most of the game last night. Watched a few minutes, but then got distracted by the back-to-back showing of Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer on AMC...

It's only Atlanta's fault they couldn't make it work in the NHL. Trust me, it's all about money. If they were making money, the league would not be moving the team.

I'm all for a new Canadian team or two though. Too many teams too far south IMO. It's ok for the snowbird states, but otherwise, meh. It just perpetuates crap teams like Dallas and Phoenix.

The NHL isn't relocating the team, a new owner is. If the owners had sold to a local buyer the team wouldn't be leaving. It is all about money, and that's why no one else wanted to buy the team and keep it here.

popecrisco said:
So, with the thrashers moving out of the ATL, any suggestions on how to pick a replacement team to follow. First time in my life since childhood not living in a town with an NHL Franchise. So next year im going to pick up the NHL package on directv and realign my loyalty, hopefully to someone who can put the hurt on Winnipeg in a good way.

MY picks are:
Montreal - Big fan, grew up watching the Stars, that thanks to Bob Gainey were basically a mock up Habs team for a while.
Dallas - Old home team, despite not being anything like the early Stars that I loved.
Canes, Preds, Bolts - Based on proximity.

You probably want to nix most those teams. If you want to see somebody hurt Winnipeg, stick to their conference :)

The NHL isn't relocating the team, a new owner is. If the owners had sold to a local buyer the team wouldn't be leaving. It is all about money, and that's why no one else wanted to buy the team and keep it here.

In reality, the league decides whether a team will stay or go. If they really wanted the Thrashers to stay, they would have nixed the deal. Apparently, nobody cares enough about hockey down there to risk money buying the team and keeping it in Atlanta.

I'm still upset that Minnesota still doesn't have a team!

Homercidal said:
In reality, the league decides whether a team will stay or go. If they really wanted the Thrashers to stay, they would have nixed the deal. Apparently, nobody cares enough about hockey down there to risk money buying the team and keeping it in Atlanta.

I'm still upset that Minnesota still doesn't have a team!

I agree for the most part, but not in this case, and for reasons you actually explained. If nobody wants to own the team, there's not much that can be done.

Actually this has been proven with Pheonix. For some reason the NHL will not let them move. They have had several people, good and bad, throw large amounts of money at them, and there is always a reason to keep them where they are. The league steps in, funnels money into the team, and pretends that is working. The same but opposite happened to Winnipeg and Quebec City when they left. Everything was done to get them out of there. The league didn't step it, give them a year grace, etc. They yanked them out faster than anything.

uh, The Wild don't count?

Thats exactly what I was thinking :confused:

And as far as comparing Phoenix to Atlanta...they are very similar. I think that had Atlanta gone bankrupt like Phoenix did before them, you may see Atlanta being bailed out right now. However, I don't think the NHL can afford to subsidize two franchises. Not to mention Atlanta's owners didn't actually file for bankruptcy. They are just tired of losing money and want out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they have too haha.

Well, the Wild a still a relatively young club, and being that the N Stars were yanked away from us, I was juts happy to see a team come back to the state of hockey..and yes, I am a MN native. Army relocated me to Colorado.

In 2003, the Wild came back twice in the same SC series from a 3-0 series deficit. I believe that either tied or beat the previous record.

Either way...as long as Western Conf wins, I am a happy brewer....so yeah, I guess I am a Canucks fan this year....DAMMMIT!!! :rockin::drunk::mug::ban:

In 2003, the Wild came back twice in the same SC series from a 3-0 series deficit. I believe that either tied or beat the previous record.

I was surprised to hear that, since I don't remember any team coming back from 3-0 more than once in a playoff season.

They were actually down 3-1 (games) to the Avs in round 1 and came back to win. Then went down 3-1 against the Canucks and came back to win. Then they got swept by the Ducks.

No, i hear you, money kept them floundering becuase they wouldnt invest, and as you said, will be seeing them leave.

just want to give the ATL Spirit another "F you"

merde

No, i hear you, money kept them floundering becuase they wouldnt invest, and as you said, will be seeing them leave.

just want to give the ATL Spirit another "F you"

merde

I hear ya brother. I hope nothing good comes to Philips anytime soon because the ASG won't be seeing a penny of my money.

so on wendsday our local channel nbc channel decided to cut away from the game in the middle of the first to show a potential tornado and held the coverage until half way through the second period. Where do I live you might ask, northern california, we get about 5 tornados a decade and as far as i know we have NEVER had a single casuality in the history of the state from a tornado. lot of pissed off hockey fans up here and you want to know what the final damage was: yes you do i can tell, a wooden fence fell down in the middle of rural farmlands, im sure the Insurance catastrope teams will be out soon to assess the 45$ insurance claim....

Oh, but you who philosophize disgrace and criticize all fears
Bury the rag deep in your face
For now's the time for your tears.

the local NBC channel has a sister station and played the exact same coverage on both channels effectivly blocking game one of the finals for all of northern california for a single (whatever the **** there called) level 1 tornado that touched down for appox 10 seconds in a field. yes 2 channels.... are there any canadians who would like to adoupt a 35 year old male, i'll work hard just get me out of this country

So, the NHL ruled that there wasn't enough evidence to be certain that there even WAS a bite, LOL

Guess Burrows is playing game 2

I've worn hockey gloves before, and I find it hard to believe that there was a break in the skin from this so called bite through the glove. Those things are pretty thick and fairly tough.

Anyway, I think the whole hubaloo surrounding this is silly. Maybe if you don't want your finger bit, keep it out the guys mouth?

I've worn hockey gloves before, and I find it hard to believe that there was a break in the skin from this so called bite through the glove. Those things are pretty thick and fairly tough.

Anyway, I think the whole hubaloo surrounding this is silly. Maybe if you don't want your finger bit, keep it out the guys mouth?

Yea, I've played hockey for 16 years and am still playing. No way Bergeron got "hurt". He was actually on NHL live yesterday evening. The panel asked him how his finger was and he looked kind of embarassed that it was getting so much press. Bergeron knows it didn't hurt, and he definitely doesn't want to be considered a wuss. He was just trying to draw a call.

Boleslaus said:
Yea, I've played hockey for 16 years and am still playing. No way Bergeron got "hurt". He was actually on NHL live yesterday evening. The panel asked him how his finger was and he looked kind of embarassed that it was getting so much press. Bergeron knows it didn't hurt, and he definitely doesn't want to be considered a wuss. He was just trying to draw a call.

He whined about it to an interviewer during second intermission.

But yeah, he pretty much stuck his finger in Burrows' mouth trying to just stick his glove in his face, and it was a heat of the moment type thing. Still, it's funny that Burrows so instinctively resorts to chomping lol

arturo7 said:
Please don't defame hockey by mentioning it in the same sentence as reality TV.

Like I just did.

Damn.

Wait, I'll edit out the punctuation and caps -
then it won't be a sentence!

???

I think they've sold out every one of their home games since game one of their first season 10 years ago.

The Minnesota Wild sold out the first 409 games of their existence. That ended on September 23, 2010 when they fell nearly 2,000 seats short. I looked that up because I remembered hearing that it came to end. Not sure if they have a current streak going but they fill that place nearly every time they play.

Also, the bite was a joke. I'm glad they didn't suspend him.

Bulls Beers said:
It's about god damn time!!! 2-1 mothertrucker....

It's really 1-1 though. They were legally obligated to give Lucic a goal.

Don't believe me? Check the section of the Americans with Disabilities Act that deals with accommodations for the severely mentally impaired.

It's really 1-1 though. They were legally obligated to give Lucic a goal.

Don't believe me? Check the section of the Americans with Disabilities Act that deals with accommodations for the severely mentally impaired.

Such a law would not be enforced tonight unless they moved Vancouver out of Canada.

Good try, though. ;)

LOL @ Burrows.

How embarrassing for Boston... the finger chomper beats Chara and Thomas in 11 seconds...

Back