Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wings almost had another comeback yesterday. Came up short though.:(

Good game from Fil and Huds. I like what I'm seeing from those two. Now, if only, Howard could catch a break. Some crazy goals going in the net.

Howie got 2 unlucky goals against to get started. I liked the way Ozzie played in relief. Wings seemed to respond when he got put in too. Just wasn't enough.

So glad to see Crosby lose out. Even the wife mentioned the game and she usually doesn't care unless the Wings are involved.

The only realistic option is to either have a shootout or to bring back ties and OT wins. Like you said MeatyPortion, gotta save time. You can't be playing sudden death overtime during the season.

The only realistic option is to either have a shootout or to bring back ties and OT wins. Like you said MeatyPortion, gotta save time. You can't be playing sudden death overtime during the season.

Can't we do longer than 5 minutes though? I really don't like the way it is now. Shootouts suck! It doesn't prove anything.

Can't we do longer than 5 minutes though? I really don't like the way it is now. Shootouts suck! It doesn't prove anything.

I agree, shootouts aren't a good way of deciding the best "team" on that night. I think if they went to a 10 min OT and then a tie it would work just as well as it does now, without tiring the players out too much more. Ties would earn 1 pt. a piece with a win earning 2 and the loser 1 just like now.

Maybe the only thing that pisses me off as much as the shoot out are 3 point games.

If any one game is worth 3 points, they should all be worth 3 points.

Regulation win, 3 points
OT win, 2 points
OT loss or tie, 1 point

Obviously, the shoot out adds time to the event.

Perhaps what you mean is that a shoot out likely takes less time than playing OT until someone scores.

What the hell is wrong with earning a point from a tie?

Exactly, but a full OT period in hockey still might result in a tie and a shootout takes less time and reaches a more definitive conclusion, at least according to the NHL. I'm sure that there were issues with TV networks that precipitated the NHL coming up with the shootout as a solution but they've definitely alienated a lot of fans with it.

Shootout was install just for TV and is nothing more than a skills competition. I like the idea of 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, and then an eventual Braveheart (1v1 to end the game). I think fans would dig it, I know I would. I know they tested it over the summer, but nothing came out for this year.

Would add some serious line match-ups.

With every player taken off the ice for OT, the game is further perverted.

Again, I ask...

What the hell is wrong with a tie? Each teams gets a well-earned, and often crucial point in the standings.

I wish they would go back to the tie. I think the idea of a 2v2 or possible 1v1 is almost worse than a shootout.

we all know professional sports and Tie do not compute...Remember all the confusion last year when the Eagles let time expire in OT. People were so confused.

Plus a smart many once said " If your not First, Your Last"

we all know professional sports and Tie do not compute...Remember all the confusion last year when the Eagles let time expire in OT. People were so confused.

Plus a smart many once said " If your not First, Your Last"

There will be no more quoting of Talladega Nights in this thread.

There will be no more quoting of Talladega Nights in this thread.

Well boo...(actually one RB qoute is more than enough) but you got my point. Most fans want a winner and for the NHL which has been a niche sport in the US All wise Bettmen wanted to attrach more fans, most of whom watch the big three. Tie would turn them off.

Butthe true Hockey fans like yourself, and the rest of use posting on the tread think there are better ways to end it. got to weight the happiness of the few v the Veiwership (read $$$) of the many.

NHl has built a lot of steam post lockout. Rumour is ESPN may be interested again as the Versus contract is up.

I'm actually was happy Last night Bolts/Caps game end in OT and not SO. Granted my boys lost, it's better closesure.

Man did Rolo look good.

I'd love to see the NHL get back on ESPN, as I'm sure many would, but I don't want to see them water the sport down any further. I still remember the abortion that was FOX TRAX.

I could see ESPN with a game of the week. Versus has Mon and Tues. Why not a Thursday night or hell take Sundays from NBC, Costas and Milbury are horrible. Even more than normal during the WC. Their verbal falacio of the Pittsburgh Bettmens almost mad me puke.

I was impressed with Kolzig on NHl Networks Pregamer. Caps bias aside. Man's a natural.

The mullet would definetley help bring in NASCAR fans... Hockey fight are like Car crashes a mulleted annoucer would be the icing on the cake

but I don't want to see them water the sport down any further.

Water it down further?

There isn't much worse than deciding the outcome of a team game with an individual skills competition. Ending a hockey game with a shoot out is no different than ending a basketball game with free throws or a baseball game with a home run derby. It's bullshvt.

Playoff spots in the NHL are won and lost by a single point. Anyone who doesn't see the value of gaining a valuable point in tie game either a) doesn't understand the playoff rankings, or b) can't do math.

Water it down further?

There isn't much worse than deciding the outcome of a team game with an individual skills competition. Ending a hockey game with a shoot out is no different than ending a basketball game with free throws or a baseball game with a home run derby. It's bullshvt.

Playoff spots in the NHL are won and lost by a single point. Anyone who doesn't see the value of gaining a valuable point in tie game either a) doesn't understand the playoff rankings, or b) can't do math.

Not saying that shootouts are good, I'm just saying that the NHL could probably find new, inventive ways to bless the game up even more if TV executives deemed it necessary.

I'll refrain from commenting on Roloson or the Lightning...oh wait, I already commented. Haha just having some fun.

WJC final was crazy. I caught that flipping thru. Good to see some of the future Caps prospects playing extremely well (Eakin for CAN and Kuznetsov for RUS)

Yeah, did you go to the game? I loved the Russians coming back in almost every game!

The only game I attended was USA vs. Switzerland. The Canadians that were in attandance were obnoxious cheering for Canada and they weren't even playing! I'm pleased they lost, bring em back to earth.

Back