Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arturo7 said:
Maybe people are getting tired of all the left turns?

Yeah. NBC wants them to stop half way and make right hand turns.

Anyways. It's all star weekend. I would love to see the Sedin twins finally settle who is better in the speed comp. " well I was born first" " mom liked me better" " I'm taller". " no you are not"

I can't stand all star games in any sport and I won't be watching this weekend.

On another note, has anyone noticed that no one in this thread is being obnoxious and there is little to no trash talk. So to get us back on topic I would like to reiterate what I said with the second post of this thread: BLACKHAWKS SUCK! They bought the cup last year and I'll be damned if they think they have a shot in hell of repeating. The Wings got guys coming back next week. The second half of the year will belong to Detroit!:D

I'll be interested to see how this year's game goes with the draft. I find the skills competition more interesting than the game, but I'll watch it if I don't have something else going as there won't be football and I'm not a basketball fan other than the Tournament.

Either way, go Flyers!

I can't stand all star games in any sport and I won't be watching this weekend.

On another note, has anyone noticed that no one in this thread is being obnoxious and there is little to no trash talk. So to get us back on topic I would like to reiterate what I said with the second post of this thread: BLACKHAWKS SUCK! They bought the cup last year and I'll be damned if they think they have a shot in hell of repeating. The Wings got guys coming back next week. The second half of the year will belong to Detroit!:D

say what? besides Hossa whatcha got? Blackhawks drafted extremely well for a long time. They had a window, they seized the day, signed some extra pieces and got er done. The team had to be dismantled for this year per NHL rules: the cap worked. BUT WE GOT OUR CUP! Be jealous, its cool.

+1 on reducing the goalie pads!

And yes, the Blackhawks suck. Bought the cup last year and are paying for it this year, just like the Wings have done before.

Wings have been impressive this year considering the injuries and the recent spate of STUPID passes and turnovers.

But at least we don't wear the BUTTUGLY uniforms that adorn the Minnesota Wild. Excuse me, I just threw up a bit in my mouth...

DO NOT agree with reducing the goalie pads. They did that a few years back and it did not make that much difference. There is not a lot of room left to make them any smaller. I am a goalie and trust me, if they went any smaller there would be guys injured every game. Why is it that when the skill level of goalies goes up, everyone complains. Gaolie from 15 years ago would not make a backup position in todays NHL, with a few exceptions. These guys are a real position now, they are huge, 6' plus, 220lbs, and fast. No longer do you have just a guy standing in front of shots. They are much better style wise, physically better, stronger, faster, more agile.

What needs to be done, but never will happen, is increase the ice size. The average skater in the NHL is probably not far off 6' and 200 lbs. Put 10 of those guys in an end and there is no room to move. The scoring has gone down just as much from no real good scoring chances just as much as from the better goalies.

You see some of the games barely getting into the double digits on the shot clock.

Also, there has to be a culling of the heard here. There are too many teams right now, and the game has suffered for it. More teams means more players needed, and we cam all agree that some of the teams are very under talented. NYI, Edmonton (but they have a bright future if they can keep the kids), most of the southern teams. Take out 6 teams, spread out the to 10 players from each of those teams, and that is another 60 quality players spread out between 26 teams, 2 more "stars" per team, and 2 less slugs per team. Now all the teams will have at least 2 pure scoring lines, some of them will have three. And this is coming from a guy that wants to get NHL back in his town where it belongs.

I agree with increasing the rink. Guys are too big and too fast for the smaller NHL rink.

I would disagree with decreasing the number of teams. I would like to see less than 8 teams make the playoffs. top 4 or 6 tops.

Hawks bought the cup then sold their team to thrashers. Now the Southeast Div is the toughest in the east.

I'll put on the tinfoil hat for a moment and say the NHL did to boost revenue in the weakker southern markets.

I all can say is the Hawks lost to the Wild last night......
I like the Wild but come on the Hawks had a 2-0 lead and lose 4-2. Hahahaha.
Go Wings. :)

And why can't guys ride off into the sunset anymore? Why do these old guys who are riding on their legacy continue to be picked up by teams. Sure, there is the leadership factor, but come on, these kids that are coming into the league now have been ridden hard by the coaches since they were under 10 years old, I don't think they need a leader on the team anymore to give them the pat on the ass and a go get em boys. These are professionals, they know what they are doing and how to do it.

Forsberg attempting a comeback? PLEASE GO AWAY!! You once were great, leave it at that. He hasn't played organized high level hockey in more than 2 years. And when he did, it was maybe 20 games. He is old tired, won't keep up with the younger bodies, and will get hurt. If he insists on playing, go help out the guys in the AHL, they will gain far more from your leadership than anyone on an NHL roster.
Modano fits in the same in Detroit, leave while on top. There are just as good younger kids that would have come at half the pricetag, much healthier and more durable, and would have been more help in the future.

Agreed there are the exceptions, the rest of Detroits line up, I don't get how the old men there do what they do every year, must be something in the water. Selanne in Anahiem is another, 42 years old and still putting up the numbers.

say what? besides Hossa whatcha got? Blackhawks drafted extremely well for a long time. They had a window, they seized the day, signed some extra pieces and got er done. The team had to be dismantled for this year per NHL rules: the cap worked. BUT WE GOT OUR CUP! Be jealous, its cool.

The team had to be dismantled because you bought the cup. There's your evidence. Enjoy it because it won't be happening again anytime soon. Now as far as jealousy here's a little history lesson for ya:

Stanley Cups: Detroit 11 Chicago 4
Stanley Cups since 1995 (actually since 1962): Detroit 4 Chicago 1
Consecutive Playoff Streak: Detroit 20 (a record by the way) Chicago 2
Record Since lockout: Detroit 286-114-58 Chicago 221-185-54

The record is including an 8 point lead on you currently despite the massive amount of injuries the Wings have had. Good luck making the playoffs, we'll be there waitin' for ya!:p It's time to take the cup home to hockeytown where it belongs!:D

Oh I almost forgot. You wouldn't even have that cup if it wasn't for Scotty Bowman! Where have I heard that name before? hmmmm...

Mr lurker, how can you state that there are too many teams and not enough talent in one post, then argue in another that the older superstars should stay home because there are good younger kids coming up?

Mr riwhite41, 20 consecutive playoff seasons is not the record. Not even close. Bruins went 29, Hawks 28, Blues 24.

Mr lurker, how can you state that there are too many teams and not enough talent in one post, then argue in another that the older superstars should stay home because there are good younger kids coming up?

Mr riwhite41, 20 consecutive playoff seasons is not the record. Not even close. Bruins went 29, Hawks 28, Blues 24.

Like I said about too many teams, the 60 players that would be without a team would take care of the 10 or so players that are hanging on way too long. And there are very good players that are in the AHL right now that are not getting their shot because positions are being taken up by the senior players. I am not talking about hundreds of older players, I am talking about a select handful, namely Forseberg talking about a comeback. Can you honestly say that there are not better players than that waiting for their shot in the AHL, that will be overlooked because of the Forsberg name? The older players right now are hanging on BECAUSE there are too many teams and leaves them with a place to play. Cut the league down to 26 teams and these players will be on the outside looking in.

Also, I stated that there are older players, Lidstrom and Selanne, that are contributing to their teams. These players I have no problem with, but players like Forsberg, Modano, Recchi etc are not going to be the contribution that another might be.

Hawks bought the cup then sold their team to thrashers. Now the Southeast Div is the toughest in the east.

While I agree that the SE is "tougher", it is definitely not the toughest in the east. Not to mention, currently on the Thrashers, only 3 players for the blackhawks, Ladd, Byfuglien, and Sopel, hardly top guys from last year's team. Its not like they had to dump their top scorers to Atlanta.

Washington...nothing needs to be said. Tampa has good management. Atlanta has good coaching. Carolina has always been in the mix. Florida has some talent finally starting to pay off. I don't think the NHL was boosting them all that much.

Exactly. What you are saying is the old guys shouldn't be playing so the young guys can. This means, if anything, that there aren't enough teams.

Old guys have their roll. I love that the Caps picked up Knuble. I can only imagine the slums we would be in without his presence on and off the ice.

Good for Forsberg. he had a decent olympics for an old guy. Some teams are so depleted with injuries they have two choices pick up an Old guy or bring up fresh faced young guy.

And by stadnings Of the three eastern division. the SE is the toughest...this year. Tampa and Washington will be in the playoffs. Carolina and Atlanta both have a good chance of making the playoffs. NJ, Ottawa, Islanders and Toronto all won't make it. And I would put Buffalo and Florida on the bubble.

I really liked Modano on Detroit. I think he was doing well on the 3rd line and really starting to get the feel of the team when he got injured. But yeah, seeing Forsberg working on coming back made me feel sorry for him. I predict that some will be calling him Brett before too long.

And I still think the goalie pads are too big. They were growing for years until the league finally said, "Ok, that's enough." True they need protection from the shots they face, but most of the stuff that would be made smaller would hardly affect their injury potential. Some of the stuff is so big that a good breeze would threaten to carry them off.

Best options in my mind are to make the back of the ice wider for puck handling and eliminate the trapezoid.

You're right, I apologize. Longest current streak in major professional sports but not a record (I was a little hungover this morning:drunk:). Canadiens also went 24 and 21. The Wings have gone 20 twice and there is no end in sight.

To Lurker, I don't think we can judge Modano's season just yet. He got hurt on a fluke play not because he was old. Anyone in the league who had their wrist slit by a skate would be out too. I don't think anyone is going to argue about Forsberg.

See now this thread is getting somewhere. By the way, are you drinking in the middle of the afternoon?:tank:

Nope, just updating my fantasy roster.

I guess everyone bashing the Blackhawks forgot who won the cup last season. Must really sting.

No, what must really sting is the notion that Chicago doesn't have a whole lot hope to repeat after the fire sale conducted shortly after the parade.

I'll tell you what stings.

In my fantasy league, I'm playing Kiprusoff against my beloved Blues tonight because they can't seem to find the net.

jtkratzer said:
Nope, just updating my fantasy roster.

No, what must really sting is the notion that Chicago doesn't have a whole lot hope to repeat after the fire sale conducted shortly after the parade.

Meh, they're still capable. You're putting too much stock in their cuts.

The main reason for the Chicago fire sale was a managerial bless up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it had something to do with the team missing a deadline on contract offers before last season. Those players' eligibility status changed and the team had to give them larger contracts. This put them over the cap for this season.

Had the GM not f'd up, the team might still be intact.

The main reason for the Chicago fire sale was a managerial bless up.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it had something to do with the team missing a deadline on contract offers before last season. Those players' eligibility status changed and the team had to give them larger contracts. This put them over the cap for this season.

Had the GM not f'd up, the team might still be intact.

I believe your wrong. The bless up that you are talking about was when the GM Dave Tallon, since demoted (maybe fired?), missed the deadline for contract offers to restricted free agents. Despite the NHLPA getting all up in arms, the Hawks signed all of their restricted free agents including the main one which I believe was Versteeg. I don't believe the bless up changed anything about their contracts though, including pay scale. The fire sale was a planned event for what I can tell. They signed a bunch of guys to unsustainable contracts and went for their Cup when they had the chance. I believe Toews, Kane, and Keith all got paid (and of course Hossa) and everyone else left.

Like I said, I'm not sure of the details. I just though the guys involved, I think there were 5 or 6, ended up with more dinero because of the error.

In any case, with a salary cap in place, you can't really accuse any team of buying a championship.

With all of that said, all I would like to add is bless the Blackhawks.

They indeed had to overpay for Versteeg and Keith and someone else(less so), prolly cost them 2-3 mil.They called it a clerical error. Talon was the scapegoat, anyone in uppermanagement should tow some blame IMO. The other reasons for the fire sale were Campbell's ridiculous contract(Talon), Huet was overpaid as well. He was dispatched out of the country and some money went against the cap. Winning the cup also cost them about 2 million in bonuses that went against the cap. That money literally cost us Niemi(thank you). The Kane, Toews and Hossa deals look right in line to me. Still, it wasn't a fire sale. Look at the current contracts/payroll. They had to manage themselves under the cap.

Scotty Bowman did **** for us to win a cup. Maybe they learned how to backload a contract from him. It was mostly Dale's team.

28>20 right? 2010 is more recent then 2008 right?

Scotty Bowman did **** for us to win a cup. Maybe they learned how to backload a contract from him. It was mostly Dale's team.

28>20 right? 2010 is more recent then 2008 right?

Scotty wasn't even hired to do sht. He was just a "consultant" and therefore I'd imagine that lots of the decisions were still made by other people. His kid basically got him in there and it's a great move for them and a nice gesture from the team.

Jeebus freaking christopher... when will the Caps score a goal. PowerPlay is Dry, 5v5 is Dry, losing games 2-1, 1-0 and in OT/SOs. Don't get me wrong, the defensive and goaltedning has been amazing. 2nd best PK, 3 goalies under 22 with 4 or more wins Holtby with a .96 and Varly with a .92. Defense has been playing great. The Combo of Carlson and Alzner is awseome. Offense just can't catch a break

Oh and what is will all the PK Subban love. He's got nothing on Carlson. Watched the Montreal Philly game. John Carlson > PK Subban

Caps looked meh last night.

Detroit beat the Devils but Brodeur was looking stellar in net. Too bad his defensemen were acting like Keystone Cops.

Scotty wasn't even hired to do sht. He was just a "consultant" and therefore I'd imagine that lots of the decisions were still made by other people. His kid basically got him in there and it's a great move for them and a nice gesture from the team.

I have a very hard time believing that Scotty has had nothing to do with the decisions being made. He came on before the 08-09 season. Since his arrival they added Huet, Campbell, Quenneville, Hossa, Kopecky, Madden, and Petiot. They fired a coach and promoted Quenneville and fired a GM and promoted Stan. That's an awful lot of movement in two years for a franchise that wasn't making much noise before his arrival as "consultant" (Senior Advisor of Hockey Operations I believe is the actual title). Maybe it's coincidence that all of that has happened while he was sitting around doing nothing but forgive me if I have serious doubts that a hall of famer that knows as much about the game as anyone didn't have something to do with this.

Part of the reason Chicago was over the cap for this year was playoff bonuses entitled to toews, Keith, and a few other players as well. They definitely knew the team was going to be one and done, they made the right moves after reaching the wcf the year before. But there is no way anyone can say that the Blackhawks this year are anywhere as good as the team last year.

Their chance of repeating is extremely unlikely, not considering how hard it is to repeat without losing as many key players they lost.

Still a good team no doubt, but considerably weaker depth wise....which is the only reason they won the cup in the first place.

If anyone ups for some possible humur and ASG weekend banter. I help out a friend with his hockey Blog. Myself and another blogger will be posting things all weekend from the draft, the skill comp and the came. We'll also throw in some of the AHL ASG as well.

Yes it a Caps site, but were covering it all. Stop by and check us out rockthered dot net

Back