Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have to trade quality play for sideshow to woo some ignorant, fair weather fans, no thanks. I'm not interested in this sport turning into baseball with fireworks nights and bobbleheads.... But that's just my opinion.

Well, the current state of the Wings is now determined. They aren't very good. They exposed one of their two goalies (The younger one) and he wasn't picked up in the expansion draft.

None of the current team was selected, but they did grab a young player from Grand Rapids. One of our best prospects.

Now it looks like Mrazek will be considered trade bait, and the young goalie from GR brought up to play second fiddle to Howard. (Or maybe he will get the starting job? Seems like the position flips and flops more than Brodeur the past couple of seasons!)

Just in case anyone missed it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...xpansion-draft-roster/?utm_term=.7cfb3873906b

F Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (Philadelphia)
F Connor Brickley (Carolina) + 2017 fifth-round draft pick
F William Carrier (Buffalo) + 2017 sixth-round draft pick
F Cody Eakin (Dallas)
F Erik Haula (Minnesota) + F Alex Tuch + 2017 or 2018 third-round draft pick
F William Karlsson (Columbus) + F David Clarkson + 2017 first-round draft pick (goes to Winnipeg) + 2019 second-round pick
F Brenden Leipsic (Toronto)
F Oscar Lindberg (NY Rangers)
F Jonathan Marchessault (Florida) + F Reilly Smith
F James Neal (Nashville)
F Tomas Nosek (Detroit)
F David Perron (St. Louis)
F Teemu Pulkkinen (Arizona)
F Chris Thorburn (Winnipeg) + 2017 first-round draft pick + 2019 third-round draft pick

D Alexei Emelin (Montreal)
D Deryk Engelland (Calgary)
D Jason Garrison (Tampa Bay) + F Nikita Gusev + 2017 second-round draft pick + 2018 fourth-round draft pick
D Brayden McNabb (Los Angeles)
D Jon Merrill (New Jersey)
D Marc Methot (Ottawa)
D Colin Miller (Boston)
D Griffin Reinhart (Edmonton)
D Luca Sbisa (Vancouver)
D David Schlemko (San Jose)
D Nate Schmidt (Washington)
D Clayton Stoner (Anaheim Ducks) + D Shea Theodore
D Trevor van Riemsdyk (Chicago)

G J-F Berube (NY Islanders) + F Mikhail Grabovski + D Jake Bischoff + 2017 first-round draft pick + 2019 second-round draft pick
G Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh) + 2020 second-round draft pick
G Calvin Pickard (Colorado)

You can see how some predictions stacked up to who was chosen: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/18/15826356/2017-nhl-expansion-mock-draft-vegas-golden-knights-picks

Can someone please explain to me what the heck the Panthers were thinking? Most of the teams gave Vegas deals to keep them away from certain players... who were they protecting over Marchessault?

Can someone please explain to me what the heck the Panthers were thinking? Most of the teams gave Vegas deals to keep them away from certain players... who were they protecting over Marchessault?

No idea.

Eight skaters: Jonathan Huberdeau, Aleksander Barkov, Vincent Trocheck, Nick Bjugstad, Aaron Ekblad, Keith Yandle, Alex Petrovic, Mark Pysyk
Goaltender: James Reimer

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/6...ft-2017-protection-lists-vegas-golden-knights

Florida Panthers. Jonathan Marchessault would be a HUGE loss for the Panthers. Protecting defensemen Alex Petrovic and Mark Pysyk seems silly with a 30-goal scorer on tap. C-

It's not like the Panthers are known for being an extremely well run organization but dayumn...

Blackhawks are going crazy right now.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-18-nhl-trades/c-289968698?tid=278542340

JUNE 23: Arizona Coyotes acquire defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for defenseman Connor Murphy and forward Laurent Dauhpin | Coyotes acquire defenseman Hjalmarsson from Blackhawks

And then moments ago:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news...g-from-columbus-for-panarin-motte/c-290083264

Blackhawks acquire Saad, Forsberg from Columbus for Panarin, Motte

So they've dealt Van Riemsdyk, Hjalmarsson, Panarin, Motte, and Hossa is likely done because of allergies.

For those of us still confused about why the Blackhawks traded Panarin for Saad: https://www.nhl.com/news/heavy-day-...s-looking-different/c-290111858?tid=278542340

Why did the Blackhawks prefer Saad to Panarin?

Saad and Panarin each has a $6 million cap charge, but Saad has four years remaining on his contract and Panarin has two left on his. The Blackhawks wanted the cost certainty.

Chicago also needed a player who could help make up for the absence of Marian Hossa, who will miss the 2017-18 season because of a skin disorder. Saad can do that with his skating and two-way game.

The Blackhawks feel that Panarin's role can eventually be filled by Alex Debrincat, a dynamic 5-foot-7 forward who led the OHL and set an Erie record with 65 goals in 63 games this season. He added 62 assists.

The big plus is that the Blackhawks know Saad well. Expect him to play with Jonathan Toews, but he has also played with Patrick Kane.

For those of us still confused about why the Blackhawks traded Panarin for Saad: https://www.nhl.com/news/heavy-day-...s-looking-different/c-290111858?tid=278542340

That stuff can often look good on paper, but not work out IRL. Time will tell. And paper is the only reasonable method of deciding anyway. I'm sure they factored the team chemistry into the equation too.

It's looking like Kronwall is nearing the end of his career. Hoping the Wings can get some more physical players in their system. He was much less physical on the ice the past couple of seasons, and I think that it showed.

This season is going to have plenty of unknowns for the Wings, and I think many other teams as well. It's been a few years, but I'm still not switched over to East mode. I'm still more familiar with many of the West teams. Gotta watch more games this year.

That stuff can often look good on paper, but not work out IRL. Time will tell. And paper is the only reasonable method of deciding anyway. I'm sure they factored the team chemistry into the equation too.

It's looking like Kronwall is nearing the end of his career. Hoping the Wings can get some more physical players in their system. He was much less physical on the ice the past couple of seasons, and I think that it showed.

This season is going to have plenty of unknowns for the Wings, and I think many other teams as well. It's been a few years, but I'm still not switched over to East mode. I'm still more familiar with many of the West teams. Gotta watch more games this year.

Totally agree. I mean, after this I see some sense being made but the point about Debrincat seems to be a long shot, a point they threw in to justify the trade.

Bill Daily announced there will be no NHL schedule break for the 2018 Olympics. Good. The NHL players won't be missed in the Olympics. The games will still be great.

Bill Daily announced there will be no NHL schedule break for the 2018 Olympics. Good. The NHL players won't be missed in the Olympics. The games will still be great.

I'm ambivalent about the Olympics. One one side it only happens once every 4 years, but on the other hand, it adds to player risk, gives the more skilled players less chance of rest compared to those not participating, and I don't care for the break in NHL action.

Just give me a game every night. That's all I ask.

I say eff the Olympics. It interferes with the NHL regular season and IMO is out dated and irrelevant.

Originally the Olympics were meant to show which nation had the greatest athletes. The best of the best.

But that's basically what the NHL is all season long. They are just spread out among a bunch of different teams.

Which is why I have zero interest in Olympic hockey if the NHL doesn't go.

Yeah I completely agree. I really could care less if athletes in the Olympics are amateur or professional. I want to see the best in the world. Otherwise why have the international competition?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20283705/where-things-stand-stake

What does the NHL have to say about it?

Bettman has addressed the issue several times over the past year. He said the league's owners were reluctant to take a 17-day break in February when they should be capitalizing on a dead period in other sports: the sweet spot, post-Super Bowl and pre-MLB spring training. Bettman also cited injury concerns from clubs. In essence, he said, the league doesn't get much out of it.

But wouldn't that be the case every Olympic year?

Indeed, those aren't novel concerns. That's why the crux of the issue is a power play between the NHL, NHLPA and the International Olympic Committee. The league wanted the IOC to make concessions, which it didn't. The NHLPA wanted the sides to get it done. This could be used as a bargaining chip between the union and the league when the current collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2021-22 season.

Can anyone intervene?

Four agencies have tried to hash it out: the NHL, the NHLPA, the IOC and the International Ice Hockey Federation -- with no luck. The IOC has previously funded players' travel and insurance (which, in 2014, amounted to $14 million). When the IOC took that off the table, the IIHF stepped in and offered to cover $10 million. It was a nice gesture, but it didn't resolve all of the issues, including interrupting the NHL season for three weeks. The IOC issued a statement in April saying it "feels very sorry for the athletes."

What happens if a player decides to go anyway?

I'd love the hear the story behind this.

"Maple Leafs scout steals, drives, crashes golf cart on drunken joyride."

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/2...-crashes-golf-cart-on-drunken-joyride-ny-cops
He'd better lay low for a while when he gets back to Toronto. This clown was hired from the London Knights, which means it was likely Mark Hunter who brought him aboard.

If the guy who hires me has nearly 1500 career penalty minutes in the NHL, I'm going to try my best not to embarrass him. :D

I'm going to have to read up on most of the players on the Wings team this year. I'd LOVE to go to Detroit and check out the new stadium. It's probably too expensive for me though, after travel costs. Maybe we can do a midday game.

So I was super excited for the Blues season... till you know a good half dozen of our players broke themselves during preseason.

Can we stop with preseasons already?

/queue facepalm

In your country? Probably never.

All Leaf preseason games are on some combination of TSN and SportsNet.

If I was a Habs fan, I'd be starting to get worried.

I know it's the preseason and all, but they can't buy a win.

Even worse, a good chunk of their best players got beat by a Leafs lineup consisting of the backup goalie, fourth-liners, and AHL'ers.

Caps preseason is on our normal Comcast Sports Net channel. No different than usual.

And I'm definitely worried. Looked like crap all preaseason.

Went to the final one against the Devils on Wednesday. Our penalty kill SUCKS right now.

If I was a Habs fan, I'd be starting to get worried.

I know it's the preseason and all, but they can't buy a win.

Even worse, a good chunk of their best players got beat by a Leafs lineup consisting of the backup goalie, fourth-liners, and AHL'ers.

But, the Leafs are serious contenders this season, IMO.

I got to watch a little bit of the Wings at the bar. Tried to watch at home on Sling, but I don't think Sling carries Fox Sports Plus channels and FSD had Tigers on the regular channel.

My concern is that Pistons games have a chance of forcing Wings games to FSD+ and I might not be able to watch them!

OR! They aren't available at my house, thereby forcing me to go down to the local brewery to watch there!! :mug:

At any rate, I like what I've seen from some of the younger Wings this preseason. I expect good things for the Griffins and if the Wings can get the Goalie situation evened out, maybe a chance at a playoff berth or better.

Well flyers 1 for 1. Off to a good start in San Jose hope they keep it up.

In other news I wish Winnipeg the best with Steve mason. Looks like he's doing as good there as he did here in Philly last season.
They lit him up pretty good. 5 goals on 20 shots before they gave him the hook. Looked completely lost on Nylander's goal. Had no idea where the puck was.

I guess preseason is preseason. Ovi is on fire. From what I understand first player to score hat tricks in each of the first two games in 100 years.

That was insane.

Wings are 2-0 on the young season. Expectations are running high. :D

In other news, Dish Network made me a deal I couldn't refuse when I went to cancel in favor of Sling. I'll be paying $40 a month for a package that includes Fox Sports Detroit and a bunch of other stuff I don't really care about. But it also gives me the ability to log into some streaming sites that I would otherwise have to pay separately for.

And the DVR function is better than Sling. And my wife can get CW network so she can watch her boyfriend on Supernatural without having to wait a day.

We all win!

Already excited to see the Wings play again on Tuesday. Looking for Larkin to get his game up to where it can and should be. Defense looks to be better so far, although the first half of game 1 the Wings looked atrocious. They still need to work on making smart clearing passes.

Heh.

massacre of the penguins.jpg

Latest posts

Back