Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 games ago I watched the Wings win 4-0 in the standard tv in the bedroom. Yesterday I watched Vancouver tie it up 3-3 in the HD tv in the family room right before I gave up the TV to the wife for the Oscars crap. And went to the bedroom to watch the Wings score 5 goals...

I may have to watch every game in SD now!

Butterfly effect, for sure.

I'm glad Detroit is playing on the west coast Wednesday and Thursday, I'll be able to watch at least half of each game after I get out of work. And I love watching Detroit and San Jose play, regardless of the outcome.

oldstyle69 said:
the only kind of fans they have are bandwagon fans. :)

Usually I only watch playoff hockey but the bulls are average this year so time for some hockey!!

Philly has terrible D. That is what is costing them games. Bryz is good, but the D can't clear rebounds, tie up the proper guys, or keep the shots to the outside.

Kessel can put a puck through a 3" hole, so I wouldn't worry about that first goal.

Toronto didn't play well, rather Philly played bad enough to lose. Also - I had trouble with the Philly feed - anyone else notice it was jumpy or is that just me?

Solid win for the Bruins over the Islanders tonight. Nabokov kept this game within reach (guy was haunting at times) but the Bs bottled up the NY offense for long stretches of this game, and Rask mopped up what got through.

There was one end-to-end Bruins goal scoring rush that was a thing of beauty. Catch the highlight reel if you can.

3 game home stand starts Thursday...

Cheers!

6LvfP99.gif

Philly has terrible D. That is what is costing them games. Bryz is good, but the D can't clear rebounds, tie up the proper guys, or keep the shots to the outside.

Kessel can put a puck through a 3" hole, so I wouldn't worry about that first goal.

Toronto didn't play well, rather Philly played bad enough to lose. Also - I had trouble with the Philly feed - anyone else notice it was jumpy or is that just me?

I didn't have problems with the feed, but I watched from the DVR. Philly just has to get better starts. They've gone down 0-2 or 2 goal deficits in a lot of games recently and played well enough to get wins over Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, etc, but they have to break this trend. There were a number of close plays that could have resulted in a different outcome. The goal Giroux just missed, went wide, and down the ice for one of Toronto's goals. There were a couple plays that were very close, but missed shots by the Flyers.

Toronto just capitalized where Philly failed. I think only one of the goals was on a scramble with a rebound in front and bodies all over the place. Parts of the game were controlled by Philly and if they can play more consistently throughout the game, without falling behind the way they have, they're a pretty strong team. They outshot the Leafs something like 12-1 at one point in the game, they won the special teams numbers, fewer penalties, more shots, even on faceoffs, fewer turnovers, and more hits.

Toronto capitalized on some opportunities and that was the game. Kessel's goal was one I would have liked Bryz to stop.

I didn't have problems with the feed, but I watched from the DVR. Philly just has to get better starts. They've gone down 0-2 or 2 goal deficits in a lot of games recently and played well enough to get wins over Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, etc, but they have to break this trend. There were a number of close plays that could have resulted in a different outcome. The goal Giroux just missed, went wide, and down the ice for one of Toronto's goals. There were a couple plays that were very close, but missed shots by the Flyers.

Toronto just capitalized where Philly failed. I think only one of the goals was on a scramble with a rebound in front and bodies all over the place. Parts of the game were controlled by Philly and if they can play more consistently throughout the game, without falling behind the way they have, they're a pretty strong team. They outshot the Leafs something like 12-1 at one point in the game, they won the special teams numbers, fewer penalties, more shots, even on faceoffs, fewer turnovers, and more hits.

Toronto capitalized on some opportunities and that was the game. Kessel's goal was one I would have liked Bryz to stop.

So Toronto didn't play well, rather Philly played bad enough to lose. Got it.:tank:

So Toronto didn't play well, rather Philly played bad enough to lose. Got it.:tank:

No, Toronto controlled a lot of the first period and were outshooting the Flyers badly. Then the play flipped completely and the Flyers dominated. Then it was pretty evenly matched both ways for the rest of the game. Toronto got their goals, the Flyers didn't finish.

I don't think Toronto played a bad game, it's pretty typical for them. They haven't been good or a serious threat for a long time the way going into a game with Pittsburgh, NJ, Rangers, or some of the Western Conference teams Philly has struggled with. This year, the Flyers have not played well enough on offense to really look at any game as a walk in the park.

So, no, I think it was a combination of Toronto getting enough (ie more than average play) to get the win and Philly didn't play well enough to get to OT or win. Leafs have played better games this year, but I think their play on Monday was better than their average.

CityOChampBrew said:
Thats the only way that philly can play

You mean play the way Pittsburgh did, especially Vokun. 5 Pens and 3 Flyers behind him and in the net and he's facing the wrong direction from where the puck is?

78094CCD-A353-4B21-B79E-F40E30848509-2833-0000032217315F7E_zps154c48dd.jpg

Let me caption this for you:

Goaltending and defense: You're doing it wrong. #FAIL.

Oh look, he figured out where the puck is!
crease_1.jpg

Or maybe how he hugged the post on Jake's 3rd and winning goal of the night?

And he realized where the puck is, again:
sadgoalie_1.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I wonder if he can see the replay overhead through the top shelf of the net or if he's thinking about sucking his thumb.

With the trade for Gagne complete, Flyers also seeking to get Lindros, Recchi, LeClair, Roenick, and Desjardins to come out of retirement to join Knuble, Gagne, and Fedetanko to get the band back together from years back.

Is Homer digressing into Bob Clarke in his attempt to get old players, past their prime in Orange and Black? I was always a fan of Gagne, but it seems this is the year of bringing back guys from years ago that probably aren't going to get much done for them.

With the trade for Gagne complete, Flyers also seeking to get Lindros, Recchi, LeClair, Roenick, and Desjardins to come out of retirement to join Knuble, Gagne, and Fedetanko to get the band back together from years back.

Is Homer digressing into Bob Clarke in his attempt to get old players, past their prime in Orange and Black? I was always a fan of Gagne, but it seems this is the year of bringing back guys from years ago that probably aren't going to get much done for them.

Sounds like the Red Wings with Samuelsson. He has played a whole 3 games (?) so far this year.

BS penalty shot for Grabovski... He definitely would have scored easily had he not been interfered with, as that entire side of the net had been wide open.

So cheating to prevent a goal that was pretty much a sure thing was "punished" by giving him an opportunity to score a penalty shot against one of the best goalies in the game (Price), and quite predictably failed.

Yes, I know those are the rules, but the would be goal was just so guaranteed that it hurts. Hell, if the teams had been reversed, I would very likely commend the guy that took the penalty for making such a smart play. But it still hurts.

Bah... Montreal appeared to be exacting revenge on Toronto for the 6-0 embarrassment earlier in the season. 5-2 isn't quite as big a blowout, but it's still no bueno.

Speaking of the Dead Wings, it looks like they're playing the Avalanche tonight. How many brawls will this game result in?
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

MeatyPortion said:
Flyers looking good tonight.

Bulls Beers said:
And Holtby looks pretty bad...

Flyers dominated every aspect of that game. Washington hasn't consistently played well the entire season other than their previous streak of winning 5 of 7, and the Flyers jumped all over them and actually played the entire game, like they did against the Islanders in the 7-0 win.

Grubauer made some pretty nice saves to keep it at 4 goals for the Flyers.

Thoughts on HarryZ's hit at the end where he got 5/10 for kneeing?

MeatyPortion said:
Is Ovechkin drunk?

Pretty funny when his moves were so good he couldn't even handle it.

Speaking of the Dead Wings, it looks like they're playing the Avalanche tonight. How many brawls will this game result in?
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

Hmm... They are not playing the Avalanche tonight. What are you some sort of post repeating spam botter??

;)

Did not stay up for game last night. Unless they are played on a weekend, I just cannot stay up for west coast games. I'll be happy once the Wings move to the East and we can lose some of those sandman games.

I don't think the Wings will have their player roster figured out by the time the season ends. Too many injuries and odd pairings.

Yeah the roster is a freaking mess. I'm getting a little tired of reading MLive and finding two or three articles per day which detail the injuries and players moving between Detroit and Grand Rapids. I have a hard time keeping track of all the names.

oldstyle69 said:
yeah, you cant win with out scoring. but i can say if the hit on Smith had been called, Wings would more then likely end up winning.

Penner just skated by. He did not even touch him 😃 I think the wings stole one in Detroit and we stole one last night. The wings played better but we will take the W. Need all the points we can.

Penner just skated by. He did not even touch him 😃 I think the wings stole one in Detroit and we stole one last night. The wings played better but we will take the W. Need all the points we can.

So that isn't hitting someone? I get that it wasn't an intentional headshot and wasn't the initial point of contact, but he made no attempt at missing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF was that? It was like he was going to have a concussion at that moment in time no matter what. Not Penner's fault the guy's brains were apparently going to crumble to a pile of mush the next time he got shoved. Yes, shoved, not hit, shoved. I've never seen anything liek that before.

Smith is faking!

Back