Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wish I had cable...radio just isn't the same. Was talking to SWMBO during that power play faceoff goal, and completely missed what happened. Sure I'll see a replay eventually.

We'll see how the Rangers fare on Caps ice :D

Are you worried about them playing the Flyers? :ban:

Nah...it'd probably be the toughest opponent they'll face the entire postseason and I doubt they're going to get to the Finals without going through NY.

Rangers can't win 10 straight against the Flyers, can they? :drunk:

Caps are going home tied 1-1... Not bad.

I'm content with that.

And King seemed to come out on top in his fight. Kopitar's goal was sweet. Three former Flyers score tonight in the Flyers West 5-1 lead.

After-- check the posts... I've never mentioned dirty hits. No such thing in my mind!

Then they taught you backwards. Keep your head up is rule #1. Charging is a 2 minute minor, possibly a major and game misconduct given the result, but not a 25 game suspension. People want to scream suspension for everything right now. You want to see a dirty hit watch Bertuzzi go after Steve Moore. Here's a rather long video of some of the "best" Kronwall hits. If you can count how many times he leaves his feet and targets a player's head then you're better at math than me. Remember very few of these were even called penalties and the final one is Kronwall laying out Marty Havlat 3 years ago in the playoffs. He got a game misconduct but no suspension and Havlat got a concussion. Is he a dirty player? The announcers don't think so, they glorify "Kronwallian" hits. The NHL doesn't think so, he's never been suspended. I can tell you for sure one thing everyone in that video has in common is they had their head down and Niklas Kronwall made them pay for it. There's two ways to take this out of the game call things evenly and suspend people for every hit not just the one's that cause harm or teach people to keep their fvcking heads up. Just like boarding, don't put yourself in that situation and it won't be an issue. The players are the ones making themselves defenseless.

Edit: never mind I'm too stupid to figure out how to embed the video.

Think I'm lost, are you defending Torres? Really? As much as people hated him and bitched about his hits Stevens was a very clean hitter. Torres is no Stevens.

Then they taught you backwards. Keep your head up is rule #1. Charging is a 2 minute minor, possibly a major and game misconduct given the result, but not a 25 game suspension. People want to scream suspension for everything right now. You want to see a dirty hit watch Bertuzzi go after Steve Moore. Here's a rather long video of some of the "best" Kronwall hits. If you can count how many times he leaves his feet and targets a player's head then you're better at math than me. Remember very few of these were even called penalties and the final one is Kronwall laying out Marty Havlat 3 years ago in the playoffs. He got a game misconduct but no suspension and Havlat got a concussion. Is he a dirty player? The announcers don't think so, they glorify "Kronwallian" hits. The NHL doesn't think so, he's never been suspended. I can tell you for sure one thing everyone in that video has in common is they had their head down and Niklas Kronwall made them pay for it. There's two ways to take this out of the game call things evenly and suspend people for every hit not just the one's that cause harm or teach people to keep their fvcking heads up. Just like boarding, don't put yourself in that situation and it won't be an issue. The players are the ones making themselves defenseless.

I agree, but you can't always blame the victim...it's akin to saying a woman shouldn't walk alone at night or it's her fault if she gets mugged or raped. I know that's taking it to the extreme, but there are rules for a reason and the violation of the rules, take boarding for example, is not perpetrated by the player who gets boarded because he faced the boards. However, I think we have far too many players turning toward the boards in an effort to draw a penalty because they embellish by supermaning into the boards. Arturo is exactly right that taking the bear hug or holding someone against the boards is a big part of this. A player facing the boards with the puck either gets boarded and draws a penalty or he gets freedom of movement since he can't get hit or held up. He can only get poke checked.

Goddamn I'm an idiot, I definitely need another beer. Here's the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but you can't always blame the victim...it's akin to saying a woman shouldn't walk alone at night or it's her fault if she gets mugged or raped. I know that's taking it to the extreme, but there are rules for a reason and the violation of the rules, take boarding for example, is not perpetrated by the player who gets boarded because he faced the boards. However, I think we have far too many players turning toward the boards in an effort to draw a penalty because they embellish by supermaning into the boards. Arturo is exactly right that taking the bear hug or holding someone against the boards is a big part of this. A player facing the boards with the puck either gets boarded and draws a penalty or he gets freedom of movement since he can't get hit or held up. He can only get poke checked.

A woman getting raped and a hockey player getting knocked out because he didn't keep his head up are 2 completely different things. You can't even mention them in the same sentence if you're going to try to make any reasonable point. Boarding is a penalty and charging is a penalty, but that doesn't make either one suspension worthy in my mind. That's my point. That and if you play hockey intelligently then you wouldn't be in that position to begin with.

rjwhite41 said:
A woman getting raped and a hockey player getting knocked out because he didn't keep his head up are 2 completely different things. You can't even mention them in the same sentence if you're going to try to make any reasonable point. Boarding is a penalty and charging is a penalty, but that doesn't make either one suspension worthy in my mind. That's my point. That and if you play hockey intelligently then you wouldn't be in that position to begin with.

Did you ever play the game? Then don't try to tell me you never faced the boards going for or with possession of the puck, at any time.

It's not about rape or any other heinous crime. You completely missed my point about blaming the victim for the occurrence of the of the penalty. That's what you're doing by saying you should never ever look down for anything or ever face the boards for any reason. It's the same stupid argument as blaming the goaltender for goalie interference because he was trying to get in the way of the puck when an opponent was in the crease.

The caps played a great game today. Both sides were clean, hard playing, and no dirty shat after the whistle. I don't believe a word about strategically leaving Ovi on the bench. What b*ll****!!! Either he got benched or he's hurt. Period.

Did you ever play the game? Then don't try to tell me you never faced the boards going for or with possession of the puck, at any time.

It's not about rape or any other heinous crime. You completely missed my point about blaming the victim for the occurrence of the of the penalty. That's what you're doing by saying you should never ever look down for anything or ever face the boards for any reason. It's the same stupid argument as blaming the goaltender for goalie interference because he was trying to get in the way of the puck when an opponent was in the crease.

Your point is lost when you take it to that extreme. You can protect yourself and you should be taught to. In your second failed analogy it's absolutely nothing like goalie interference other then the fact that they are both penalties. The penalty is supposed to deter you from the act. I never said you couldn't call the penalty but crying for a suspension every time someone gets hurt is ridiculous. Hand out a game misconduct for every charge and every board then and quit cheering every time a player on your team lights up someone else. It's all hypocritical, glorify the violence or don't, cheer for the violence or don't but don't walk both sides of the line.

It's about damn time Ovi earned his paycheck. He really hasn't done much this season... at least not nearly as much as he's done in previous years. Then again, I've been saying that Laich should have been made captain for a while now.

ao125 said:
It's about damn time Ovi earned his paycheck. He really hasn't done much this season... at least not nearly as much as he's done in previous years. Then again, I've been saying that Laich should have been made captain for a while now.

I was actually looking at his stats the other day because I thought the same thing. His point production has declined 4 years in a row IIRC.

If he's going to stay captain, he needs to spend less time tooling around town in his AMG Black and making Eastern Motors commercials, and more time leading his team.

rjwhite41 said:

Out of your post I'm getting that you're defending Torres, not worthy of a 25 game suspension. I brought up Scott Stevens as an example of how and when to hit. That's what the **** I'm talking about.

ao125 said:

The team scoring dropped from a league leading 3.82 goals per game down to 2.66 from 09-10 to 10-11. It stayed about the same from last year to this year. That's a huge amount of offensive scoring reduction for the whole team as they tried to transition away from the run and gun win by out scoring the opposition at the expense of defense and the goaltending.

However, I agree Ovie has seen a significant drop off. His 38 goals was only one more than that no-talent hack Scott Hartnell, who with his assist total scored 2 points more while accumulating a +27 better stat in that category while 23 of Hartnell's points were on the power play.

Ovie is a defensive liability. Can't really be a captain and not play at least a decent, sound complete game. How do you lead from the bench when your team is shorthanded and they look to a leader to guide them and be that calming presence?

I think Ovie, like Sid, was handed the C way too young, way too early, and way before showing any actual signs of leadership. Offensive capabilities don't make you a leader and Washington and Pittsburgh are figuring that out as one has been eliminated and the other's captain is on the bench more than he plays.

I think Ovie, like Sid, was handed the C way too young, way too early, and way before showing any actual signs of leadership. Offensive capabilities don't make you a leader and Washington and Pittsburgh are figuring that out as one has been eliminated and the other's captain is on the bench more than he plays.

Somehow, I knew when I started reading your post that you would just have to bring Crosby into it...can't help yourself! :mug:

Ovie is a defensive liability. Can't really be a captain and not play at least a decent, sound complete game. How do you lead from the bench when your team is shorthanded and they look to a leader to guide them and be that calming presence?

That's one of the reasons I was so happy to see Arnott last year - and so sad to see him go. Someone needs to get into the locker room and shake things up... and he did a great job of that.

copyright1997 said:
Somehow, I knew when I started reading your post that you would just have to bring Crosby into it...can't help yourself! :mug:

He's a prime example of leadership failure while providing offensive talent. I read an article with really strong points that Giroux should NOT be the next Flyers captain, let him be a star and play the game. Danny Briere is great with the media, handles the pressure, and is awesome in the playoffs. He's a mentor to a lot of the young guys, Giroux lives with him, etc.

It was about Sid specifically, just that being an elite player doesn't equate to leadership. I think Staal is guy that would make a far better Captain for the Pens.

Look at the Rags, Callahan plays all situations, he's not their top guy offensively, but he does it all. I think your Selke type forwards make better captains because they're on the ice for all situations and capable of playing a complete game.

The Nashville Predators have suspended forwards Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn for Game 3 on Wednesday night against the Phoenix Coyotes for violating team rules.

Weee! See ya Nashville! I dare you to sign that talentless ****** Radalov in the off season. This make me happy:)

wildwest450 said:
The Nashville Predators have suspended forwards Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn for Game 3 on Wednesday night against the Phoenix Coyotes for violating team rules.

Weee! See ya Nashville! I dare you to sign that talentless ****** Radalov in the off season. This make me happy:)

Saw this as well with the Kovy update. Wonder what rules they broke...

I would venture a guess that they drowned their sorrows and broke curfew. Young foreigners + hot Phoenix chicks + copious amounts of alcohol= suspension. Haha

I would venture a guess that they drowned their sorrows and broke curfew. Young foreigners + hot Phoenix chicks + copious amounts of alcohol= suspension. Haha

Typical Russians who can't hold their booze. I can't see them getting suspended for a curfew violation, maybe they were having a 3 way on Trotzie's bed.

-

If a hangover causes you to miss your plane or morning skate, a real coach has no problem dealing out suspensions.

STLExpat said:
Nice to see that there are still coaches/GM's who hold players accountable no matter what.

Not sure a player who defected to another league and came back just to finish his entry-level contract, greeted with open arms by the management who were just happy to get a star player in time for the playoffs... is the best example of your statement.

Good game last night by both teams. Not sure Ovi scores the game winner without a questionable call on Richards to go on the pp but that's the way it went. Don't see the Rangers having any prob takin 1 or
2 on the road...........

Let's Go RANgERS!!!!!!

Not sure a player who defected to another league and came back just to finish his entry-level contract, greeted with open arms by the management who were just happy to get a star player in time for the playoffs... is the best example of your statement.

Not to mention I have Radulov in my pool. :mad: I was expecting a 6 point night from him next game .

Back