Epson salt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact a mod and ask to move it.

I think this product is fine to use in beer, given the minimum amounts one needs, no more than 1/4-1/2 tsp per 5 gallons usually.

Make sure it doesn't smell moldy, mildewy, or otherwise weird from being old or in the basement.

Mind you, this stuff is really cheap in the drug or dollar store, typically sold in pound cartons.

P.S. I always add a (very) small amount of Epsom Salt to my yeast starters, as part of a nutrient dose that also contains DAP, Zinc Chloride, etc.

Last edited:
Contact a mod and ask to move it.

I think this product is fine to use in beer, given the minimum amounts one needs, no more than 1/4-1/2 tsp per 5 gallons usually.

Make sure it doesn't smell moldy, mildewy, or otherwise weird from being old or in the basement. Mind you, it's really cheap in the drug store or dollar store, typically sold in pint cartons.

P.S. I always add a (very) small amount of Epsom Salt to my yeast starters, as part of a nutrient dose that also contains DAP, Zinc Chloride, etc.

Smells fine. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Call me cautious, but I wouldn't consume something I found in a strange basement. Who knows what's really in that (apparently already opened?) package?

Call me cautious, but I wouldn't consume something I found in a strange basement. Who knows what's really in that (apparently already opened?) package?

Already opened yes, in a plastic handled container. Plastic screw off lid. Maybe I should be cautious.

I guess ultimately my question was if there is a difference on salt sold at my LHBS or Epson salt sold in bulk like the one I found in my basement. Starting to think Epson salt is Epson salt.

What he said. SO far as I know it, Epsom salt is Epsom salt, but double check all the ingredients to make sure. I'd toss that and go buy fresh. As far as how much to add to a batch, there is no standard amount to add - that depends completely on the style of brew and what's in your existing water. Download a free copy of Bru'n water, it will tell you how much of this and other minerals to use: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

I guess ultimately my question was if there is a difference on salt sold at my LHBS or Epson salt sold in bulk like the one I found in my basement. Starting to think Epson salt is Epson salt.

There is no difference. But the LHBS will charge you twice as much for a small 2 oz jar as a whole pound cost from your drug/dollar/HW store.

Epsom salt is the main ingredient in "bath salt." Epson makes printers.

Just make sure it's not scented. ;)

Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate

Seems to be pure stuff, but I also would be concerned about what it might have absorbed over time. Normal salt is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb water. Don't know if Epsom Salts are.

Back