Entitled suburban bitches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Kansas City the Boulevard Chocolate Ale release brews up a **** storm of titanic proportions. You would'nt think it, because outside of the city the beer lingers on shelves. I've been a beer retailer for both occasions it was released. My store collectivly decided to adopt a first come policy. The advantage of that is you get to avoid the butthurt that comes with not making the list. The disadvantage is 140 ****ing people swarm your store at 9am and wait 6 ****ing hours in the store for the beer truck. You're fine with it for the first couple of hours, then all these people start rubbing up against you like sandpaper. The children get dragged in with the parents to wait in line for beer, they start crying even shitting their pants. The adults at some point begin acting like children themselves, complaining of line cutting, continual queries on when the beer truck is going to come from the same people, as if I knew what or where it was. As the day drags on all the hundreds of eyes just watch you for hours, and make you self concious in an akward way. As people trickle in more you realize that some of these people had to park several blocks down the street because your parking lot has long been occupied, and the real customers that wan't to come in and just pick up a six pack? Forget it, they're not going to stop there. Its like if 140 people walked into a resteraunt sat down and ordered nothing. In my tiny store that sort of thing hurts. When the beer truck arrived there was literally no place for them to unload beer because of space limitations, forcing me to ask a number of people to move their cars wich made one woman irate. As for the phone, it was wringing nonstop. I eventually decided to just pull out the line from the phone jack ending the incessant ringing.

TL;DR
limited releases are the worst.

That and talking to my beer driver recently reflecting on the event told me that he was a followed by a car full of young men that, when stopped at the destination, said they were there for the chocolate ale and they were just going to take it off the truck. They only thing that dissuaded them was the truck driver telling them stealing alchohol off a truck was a federal crime, and gets you a hefty prison sentence.

Last edited:
As terrible as it sounds, this is why I prefer lists, especially super secret lists that you don't ask to get on, you just show up at your regular store and there are surprises waiting behind the counter. "Become a regular at the best stocked liquor store in town." should be on the list of things parents teach there kids before they go off to college along with "Either tip your waiter or don't go out" and "For god sakes, use protection."

I just had this hambeast in the shop looking for "Pinty the Elder" because she read about it somewhere and wanted to buy it for her son as a Christmas gift. People who don't drink coming in for PtE (or Abyss, Bourbon County, or whatever the hype of the day is) isn't really annoying, it's just expected at this point.

Hambeast (HB for short): "Why does this sign say Limit 1 per person?"

Me: "Well, it's an incredibly popular beer, and we want to spread our small monthly allocation out to as many of our customers as possible." (At this point I should mention that I've never seen this woman before. I don't claim to recognize all of our customers, but after 9 years I've got a pretty good sense for the people who shop here at least occasionally, and I got the impression she'd never set foot in here before)

HB: "Are you sure you won't make an exception and sell me 6 bottles? I really want to give them to my son for Christmas, and it seems silly to only get him 1 bottle."

Me: "I'm sorry Ma'am, but I can't make exceptions like that (especially when you asked in front of half a dozen other people), and on top of that I really wouldn't suggest saving this until Christmas. The brewer is very concerned about freshness, and saving this beer for 2 months wouldn't really be doing it justice."

HB (now getting red in the face): "You mean I drove 40 minutes across town and all you'll sell me is 1 bottle? DON'T YOU WANT MY BUSINESS???"

Me: "Ma'am, this beer came in on Tuesday, and we've already sold 2/3 of our allotment. If we didn't have a 1 bottle limit or if we made exceptions like you've asked me to do, we would have sold out by now and you would have driven across town for nothing. You are welcome to return tomorrow for another bottle, and you're welcome to try your luck on Sunday morning, but I'm not selling you more than one bottle today."

HB: "This is ********! I'm going to buy this bottle, and then I'm never coming back to this ****ing ******** store or dealing with your ****ing shitty customer service again!!!"

Me: "Actually ma'am, I don't appreciate being sworn at, so now I'm not not even going to sell you that bottle, and I ask that you leave the building now."

HB: "YOU CAN'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS! I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER!!!"

Me: "Sorry, the owner is out of town until Tuesday, but I'll write her name on the back of one of our cards, and you're welcome to call her next week if you'd like. That said, I've been here for 9 years, and I can almost guarantee that she'll back me on this decision once I tell her how rude and vulgar you were."

HB (stomping towards the door) "**** YOU AND **** THIS SHITTY STORE! I'M GOING TO CALL THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!"

At that point I couldn't control it any longer and I started laughing at her, and so did a couple of our regulars. That pissed her off even more, and she was so red in the face that I thought she might have an aneurysm on the way home.

tl;dr: I got to refuse service to a rude ***** of a woman, and now she has to go somewhere else for her bottles of Pint the Elder.
It would have been even better if she said, "do you know who I am?"

I know, but you beer store guys better be careful. These people might work in skyscrapers.

We had a similar ordeal last winter with the Westy gift packs. A couple weeks before they arrived, our distributor told us how many we were allocated, so to stem the flood of calls and emails we announced (via email, twitter, FB, etc) that we would start pre-selling them one week in advance and that you had to come in to the store to pay for it. Of course, this resulted in numerous “why can't I give you CC# over the phone?" calls, but that's not the worst part.

The day they arrived, we started unpacking them and found 3 that had glasses broken in transit. The owner of the shop had purchased 2 to give as gifts, so he sacrificed his sets, which left us 1 short. The last guy to come in and claim his sets had purchased 3, and when we told him that we only had 2 because of the breakage he was ****ing livid. He started screaming at everyone and doing his best angry toddler impression because "we're stupid ****s who couldn't do anything right."

In the end, the owner ended up refunding the CC charge for one box, gave him a $20 gift certificate, AND gave him 4 bottles from one of the broken sets for free, but he was still screaming about how incompetent we were. At this point, the boss had heard enough, and told him he could take the offer and leave quietly, or we could refund the whole deal, he could leave with nothing, and he would never be welcome in the shop again.

The dickbag finally took his **** and left, but for several months afterward he would try to guilt us into giving him more free or discounted **** on every visit because, "We ****ed up and ruined his Christmas plans."

I swear, dealing with highly allocated **** is almost more trouble than it's worth.
This story might be even more humorous to me because I actually stumbled across the Westy bricks on the shelf by accident across town without even trying. Not having beer ruined his Christmas plans? Damn, he must have a really sweet life.

As for the hambeast's 40 minute drive: I drive over an hour to visit your shop and appreciate the one bottle limit for rare stuff that might otherwise sellout before I get there. **** that *****.

I just had this hambeast in the shop looking for "Pinty the Elder" because she read about it somewhere and wanted to buy it for her son as a Christmas gift. People who don't drink coming in for PtE (or Abyss, Bourbon County, or whatever the hype of the day is) isn't really annoying, it's just expected at this point.

Hambeast (HB for short): "Why does this sign say Limit 1 per person?"

Me: "Well, it's an incredibly popular beer, and we want to spread our small monthly allocation out to as many of our customers as possible." (At this point I should mention that I've never seen this woman before. I don't claim to recognize all of our customers, but after 9 years I've got a pretty good sense for the people who shop here at least occasionally, and I got the impression she'd never set foot in here before)

HB: "Are you sure you won't make an exception and sell me 6 bottles? I really want to give them to my son for Christmas, and it seems silly to only get him 1 bottle."

Me: "I'm sorry Ma'am, but I can't make exceptions like that (especially when you asked in front of half a dozen other people), and on top of that I really wouldn't suggest saving this until Christmas. The brewer is very concerned about freshness, and saving this beer for 2 months wouldn't really be doing it justice."

HB (now getting red in the face): "You mean I drove 40 minutes across town and all you'll sell me is 1 bottle? DON'T YOU WANT MY BUSINESS???"

Me: "Ma'am, this beer came in on Tuesday, and we've already sold 2/3 of our allotment. If we didn't have a 1 bottle limit or if we made exceptions like you've asked me to do, we would have sold out by now and you would have driven across town for nothing. You are welcome to return tomorrow for another bottle, and you're welcome to try your luck on Sunday morning, but I'm not selling you more than one bottle today."

HB: "This is ********! I'm going to buy this bottle, and then I'm never coming back to this ****ing ******** store or dealing with your ****ing shitty customer service again!!!"

Me: "Actually ma'am, I don't appreciate being sworn at, so now I'm not not even going to sell you that bottle, and I ask that you leave the building now."

HB: "YOU CAN'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS! I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER!!!"

Me: "Sorry, the owner is out of town until Tuesday, but I'll write her name on the back of one of our cards, and you're welcome to call her next week if you'd like. That said, I've been here for 9 years, and I can almost guarantee that she'll back me on this decision once I tell her how rude and vulgar you were."

HB (stomping towards the door) "**** YOU AND **** THIS SHITTY STORE! I'M GOING TO CALL THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!"

At that point I couldn't control it any longer and I started laughing at her, and so did a couple of our regulars. That pissed her off even more, and she was so red in the face that I thought she might have an aneurysm on the way home.

tl;dr: I got to refuse service to a rude ***** of a woman, and now she has to go somewhere else for her bottles of Pint the Elder.

All of her jimmies were rustled.

Here in Kansas City the Boulevard Chocolate Ale release brews up a **** storm of titanic proportions. You would'nt think it, because outside of the city the beer lingers on shelves. I've been a beer retailer for both occasions it was released. My store collectivly decided to adopt a first come policy. The advantage of that is you get to avoid the butthurt that comes with not making the list. The disadvantage is 140 ****ing people swarm your store at 9am and wait 6 ****ing hours in the store for the beer truck. You're fine with it for the first couple of hours, then all these people start rubbing up against you like sandpaper. The children get dragged in with the parents to wait in line for beer, they start crying even shitting their pants. The adults at some point begin acting like children themselves, complaining of line cutting, continual queries on when the beer truck is going to come from the same people, as if I knew what or where it was. As the day drags on all the hundreds of eyes just watch you for hours, and make you self concious in an akward way. As people trickle in more you realize that some of these people had to park several blocks down the street because your parking lot has long been occupied, and the real customers that wan't to come in and just pick up a six pack? Forget it, they're not going to stop there. Its like if 140 people walked into a resteraunt sat down and ordered nothing. In my tiny store that sort of thing hurts. When the beer truck arrived there was literally no place for them to unload beer because of space limitations, forcing me to ask a number of people to move their cars wich made one woman irate. As for the phone, it was wringing nonstop. I eventually decided to just pull out the line from the phone jack ending the incessant ringing.

TL;DR
limited releases are the worst.

That and talking to my beer driver recently reflecting on the event told me that he was a followed by a car full of young men that, when stopped at the destination, said they were there for the chocolate ale and they were just going to take it off the truck. They only thing that dissuaded them was the truck driver telling them stealing alchohol off a truck was a federal crime, and gets you a hefty prison sentence.
Lemme guess, the people who line up are mostly not craft beer fans? Sounds like a beer that would get a large following from non-craft fans.

I work at a bike shop during the summer (going on 10 years now) and I love throwing people out for being rude (like, really rude, yelling cursewords). The best part is when they ask to talk to the owner, who happily comes out and agrees with me that they're a terrible customer and also tells them to get the **** out.

Entitled people suck and I love ****ing with their lives.

I work at a bike shop during the summer (going on 10 years now) and I love throwing people out for being rude (like, really rude, yelling cursewords). The best part is when they ask to talk to the owner, who happily comes out and agrees with me that they're a terrible customer and also tells them to get the **** out.

Entitled people suck and I love ****ing with their lives.
the hell can people be rude for at a bike shop? the only reason to get mad at someone there is if they **** up your bike and i've known a ton of people who work at shops and thats their bigest fear...

the hell can people be rude for at a bike shop? the only reason to get mad at someone there is if they **** up your bike and i've known a ton of people who work at shops and thats their bigest fear...
dude, we have people with a flat tire come back a year after buying a tube from us telling us it's faulty. I look down and say "oh, there's a thorn in it, that's what caused it" and they proceed to go nuts telling me I'm wrong. That's just an example of the kind of **** that happens day in and day out.

In general, we make very little money off of the "lifesuckers" as we call them, so we don't always adhere to the "the customer is always right" policy (and have a little fun in the process).

dude, we have people with a flat tire come back a year after buying a tube from us telling us it's faulty. I look down and say "oh, there's a thorn in it, that's what caused it" and they proceed to go nuts telling me I'm wrong. That's just an example of the kind of **** that happens day in and day out.

In general, we make very little money off of the "lifesuckers" as we call them, so we don't always adhere to the "the customer is always right" policy (and have a little fun in the process).
are you ****ing kidding me? they get mad at YOU when
a:your fixing their bike
b:they road over something?

i've hit my share of potholes but **** thats my fault for riding in the midwest/the car who road to close to me that i couldent safely dodge it.

i know the people you speak of they roll out every saturday and sunday morning in their 3 grand bikes and spandex
and me on my 400 buck fetish frecca frame and assorted parts pulls on them going up hill at a far higher gear laughing my ass off

are you ****ing kidding me? they get mad at YOU when
a:your fixing their bike
b:they road over something?

i've hit my share of potholes but **** thats my fault for riding in the midwest/the car who road to close to me that i couldent safely dodge it.

i know the people you speak of they roll out every saturday and sunday morning in their 3 grand bikes and spandex
and me on my 400 buck fetish frecca frame and assorted parts pulls on them going up hill at a far higher gear laughing my ass off
I could write a book about the **** I've heard. We had a woman drive her huband's S-Works into a parking garage and she brought it in telling us that we installed the rack wrong and it flew off the car. We said "then how come the rack is still on the car and the bolts from your factory rack are pulled out of the ****ing sheet metal"?

****ed up thing? I'm pretty sure she had actually convinced herself that's what happened. I felt a little bad for her because her Subaru was ****ED, along with her husband's $10,000 bike. She only had collision insurance...

I could write a book about the **** I've heard. We had a woman drive her huband's S-Works into a parking garage and she brought it in telling us that we installed the rack wrong and it flew off the car. We said "then how come the rack is still on the car and the bolts from your factory rack are pulled out of the ****ing sheet metal"?

****ed up thing? I'm pretty sure she had actually convinced herself that's what happened. I felt a little bad for her because her Subaru was ****ED, along with her husband's $10,000 bike. She only had collision insurance...
Wait, that WOULD be collision insurance? I am confuse. You mean she had liability only?

That reminds me of another stupid customer story from back in the days when I sold high end canoes and kayaks. A guy came in and dropped $3,000+ on an 18.5' graphite canoe and didn't want to buy any equipment to attach it to the roof of his SUV. I've never understood the logic in buying something that expensive and then not investing in a means of transporting it safely, but the guy said he was cool with his ropes and had faith in the factory-installed "luggage rack" on his vehicle, especially because he was "only going a couple miles."

We brought the boat over from the warehouse, set it in the grass next to his SUV, and informed him that we couldn't offer any assistance tying it down if he refused to at least buy a basic set of foam blocks ($30) and a couple of ratchet straps ($10/each) to secure it, and that we could not be held liable for any damage to his boat, car, or any one else's property. He said he was fine, and even signed the waiver acknowledging that he refused our equipment and expertise.

20 minutes later he comes back with 2 halves of the canoe sticking out of the back, and he's absolutely furious. Apparently he got on the highway, and the wind pulling up on the boat sheared the front crossbar off his roof, and the rear rope held just long enough for the boat to lift like a sail and then snap in half. I think he knew he had ****ed up, but he needed to vent at someone, and chose our manager on duty as his victim. In the end there was absolutely nothing he could get us to do, and the nature of those graphite canoes (sheets of graphite and resin are vacuum-formed in a mold under extreme pressure) meant that it was pretty much impossible to repair.

tl,dr; Guy managed to destroy a top of the line canoe less than 20 minutes after purchase, and we hung pictures of the damaged roof/boat on the wall next to the car rack display as a warning to others.

That reminds me of another stupid customer story from back in the days when I sold high end canoes and kayaks. A guy came in and dropped $3,000+ on an 18.5' graphite canoe and didn't want to buy any equipment to attach it to the roof of his SUV. I've never understood the logic in buying something that expensive and then not investing in a means of transporting it safely, but the guy said he was cool with his ropes and had faith in the factory-installed "luggage rack" on his vehicle, especially because he was "only going a couple miles."

We brought the boat over from the warehouse, set it in the grass next to his SUV, and informed him that we couldn't offer any assistance tying it down if he refused to at least buy a basic set of foam blocks ($30) and a couple of ratchet straps ($10/each) to secure it, and that we could not be held liable for any damage to his boat, car, or any one else's property. He said he was fine, and even signed the waiver acknowledging that he refused our equipment and expertise.

20 minutes later he comes back with 2 halves of the canoe sticking out of the back, and he's absolutely furious. Apparently he got on the highway, and the wind pulling up on the boat sheared the front crossbar off his roof, and the rear rope held just long enough for the boat to lift like a sail and then snap in half. I think he knew he had ****ed up, but he needed to vent at someone, and chose our manager on duty as his victim. In the end there was absolutely nothing he could get us to do, and the nature of those graphite canoes (sheets of graphite and resin are vacuum-formed in a mold under extreme pressure) meant that it was pretty much impossible to repair.

tl,dr; Guy managed to destroy a top of the line canoe less than 20 minutes after purchase, and we hung pictures of the damaged roof/boat on the wall next to the car rack display as a warning to others.

tumblr_m0e02xUgh81qdwmb0o1_500.gif

:eek: that guy has to be dumber than a blond with a sucker to believe that ****! i would have thrown a fit if i was him... also a little sad for the suby... even though it was probably a lesbo wagon... i mean outback:rolleyes:

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/its-on-*****-3rd-rock-from-the-sun.gif

What the serious, actual F? I want to brain those morons with an extendable baton. Show 'em where the wild goose goes.

Nothing gets me irate quicker than blatant disregard for the well being of fellow human beings. That and a proclivity to commit serious felonies. I mean I did some stuff back in my day, but damn that's even dumber than the stuff I did.

Last edited:
What the serious, actual F? I want to brain those morons with an extendable baton. Show 'em where the wild goose goes.

Nothing gets me irate quicker than blatant disregard for the well being of fellow human beings. That and a proclivity to commit serious felonies. I mean I did some stuff back in my day, but damn that's even dumber than the stuff I did.
Chocolate Ale day is seriously an overlooked event in KC most people don't hear about, but it's definently a crazy ordeal.

What's the deal with that? It's not like the beer's reviews are that good on either of the big sites. Is this just some okay beer that's picked up a hype vehicle, such as regular Sexual Chocolate?

What's the deal with that? It's not like the beer's reviews are that good on either of the big sites. Is this just some okay beer that's picked up a hype vehicle, such as regular Sexual Chocolate?

Kind of, only I would take SC over it easily. It's also distributed and has pretty high production, esp compared to SC. I've heard about the fanaticism over it before and it makes literally no sense at all. Like even less sense than the bonerjamming over Pumking.

The reason is because it's brewed in collaboration with a well known local chocolatier, and the local media hypes it up big time before the release. Its definently just an average beer IMO, Most of the people that seek it out are soccer Moms and regular people that don't even drink beer, and have no idea what to expect from the beer. They are just victims of the local hype machine.

Back