Entitled suburban bitches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopstar1

Reaction score
I just had this hambeast in the shop looking for "Pinty the Elder" because she read about it somewhere and wanted to buy it for her son as a Christmas gift. People who don't drink coming in for PtE (or Abyss, Bourbon County, or whatever the hype of the day is) isn't really annoying, it's just expected at this point.

Hambeast (HB for short): "Why does this sign say Limit 1 per person?"

Me: "Well, it's an incredibly popular beer, and we want to spread our small monthly allocation out to as many of our customers as possible." (At this point I should mention that I've never seen this woman before. I don't claim to recognize all of our customers, but after 9 years I've got a pretty good sense for the people who shop here at least occasionally, and I got the impression she'd never set foot in here before)

HB: "Are you sure you won't make an exception and sell me 6 bottles? I really want to give them to my son for Christmas, and it seems silly to only get him 1 bottle."

Me: "I'm sorry Ma'am, but I can't make exceptions like that (especially when you asked in front of half a dozen other people), and on top of that I really wouldn't suggest saving this until Christmas. The brewer is very concerned about freshness, and saving this beer for 2 months wouldn't really be doing it justice."

HB (now getting red in the face): "You mean I drove 40 minutes across town and all you'll sell me is 1 bottle? DON'T YOU WANT MY BUSINESS???"

Me: "Ma'am, this beer came in on Tuesday, and we've already sold 2/3 of our allotment. If we didn't have a 1 bottle limit or if we made exceptions like you've asked me to do, we would have sold out by now and you would have driven across town for nothing. You are welcome to return tomorrow for another bottle, and you're welcome to try your luck on Sunday morning, but I'm not selling you more than one bottle today."

HB: "This is ********! I'm going to buy this bottle, and then I'm never coming back to this ****ing ******** store or dealing with your ****ing shitty customer service again!!!"

Me: "Actually ma'am, I don't appreciate being sworn at, so now I'm not not even going to sell you that bottle, and I ask that you leave the building now."

HB: "YOU CAN'T TREAT ME LIKE THIS! I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE OWNER!!!"

Me: "Sorry, the owner is out of town until Tuesday, but I'll write her name on the back of one of our cards, and you're welcome to call her next week if you'd like. That said, I've been here for 9 years, and I can almost guarantee that she'll back me on this decision once I tell her how rude and vulgar you were."

HB (stomping towards the door) "**** YOU AND **** THIS SHITTY STORE! I'M GOING TO CALL THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!"

At that point I couldn't control it any longer and I started laughing at her, and so did a couple of our regulars. That pissed her off even more, and she was so red in the face that I thought she might have an aneurysm on the way home.

tl;dr: I got to refuse service to a rude ***** of a woman, and now she has to go somewhere else for her bottles of Pint the Elder.

Yeah I hear ya. I think anyone that deals with the general public (those few times they find a way into the inner beer circle) feel like that. Whenever something super highly allocated like Hopslam comes out and I have 75 accts that buy 0 Bell's February thru December pissed off at me I wanna vent too.

People don't get how it works.

Awesome!! I enjoy witnessing the secret question "do you have any pliny" as I see it on a regular basis at my local whole foods & bottle shops.
I wish **** got heated like the OP's story....I would open a beer and mouth breathe in amazement.

Awesome!! I enjoy witnessing the secret question "do you have any pliny" as I see it on a regular basis at my local whole foods & bottle shops.
I wish **** got heated like the OP's story....I would open a beer and mouth breathe in amazement.

That's the thing, we don't keep it in the back or have a secret handshake. It comes in, we put it in the cooler, and we send out a tweet. There are several people that will come in 3 or 4 days in a row and buy a bottle, and I'm happy to sell it to them. The thing that annoys me is the people who think the policy didn't apply to them. If we could get an unlimited number of bottles I would be happy to sell cases to everyone, but until that happens everyone hss to play by the same rules.

That's the thing, we don't keep it in the back or have a secret handshake. It comes in, we put it in the cooler, and we send out a tweet. There are several people that will come in 3 or 4 days in a row and buy a bottle, and I'm happy to sell it to them. The thing that annoys me is the people who think the policy didn't apply to them. If we could get an unlimited number of bottles I would be happy to sell cases to everyone, but until that happens everyone hss to play by the same rules.

Funny part that people (mostly women) who think the whisper wink is going to lead you down the alley to the left with the blue door and might have a bottle if you code word "Becky's boyfriend Chad" said you "might have" some Pliny is always a treat to overhear. I couldn't imagine this question being asked on a daily...however I could find a way to have some fun/creative convo with it (if she is hott).

Thank you for sharing. This was pretty funny. Lucky for you she didn't throw the one bottle she had into the display. Sounds like that kind of **** these raging bitches would do.

While I'm sorry craft beer retailers need to put up with this ******** constantly, I love hearing these kinds of stories.

The best (?) one I've heard to date was from a buddy of mine who at the time was a beer manager for a Binny's in the Chicago suburbs. The store had regularly done reservation lists for limited distro stuff. It turns out that they got half as much Vanilla BCBS as they were told, and some guy who was on the lower part of the list lost his **** at the store when he found out he didn't make the cut, throwing a wailing toddler-style temper tantrum to the point that their customer service rep was visibly shaken by the ordeal.

Google image search "Hambeast," it's awesome/terrifying/gross:

Hambeast_by_Blinded_Artist.jpg

There's no beer like Pliny around here as far as demand. But when I was back in CA for a week last year I saw two different people at bottle shops asking for Pliny without knowing what the hell it was. I wonder how many of them get drain poured by unsuspecting Blue Moon drinkers.
On that same trip I was asked if I wanted a Pliny when someone was grabbing me an Alpine bottle from the back and I said, "I think I'm good on Pliny."
He gave me a :confused: look and said, "I don't think I've ever heard that before."

Commence with the coolstorybros.

While I'm sorry craft beer retailers need to put up with this ******** constantly, I love hearing these kinds of stories.

The best (?) one I've heard to date was from a buddy of mine who at the time was a beer manager for a Binny's in the Chicago suburbs. The store had regularly done reservation lists for limited distro stuff. It turns out that they got half as much Vanilla BCBS as they were told, and some guy who was on the lower part of the list lost his **** at the store when he found out he didn't make the cut, throwing a wailing toddler-style temper tantrum to the point that their customer service rep was visibly shaken by the ordeal.

We had a similar ordeal last winter with the Westy gift packs. A couple weeks before they arrived, our distributor told us how many we were allocated, so to stem the flood of calls and emails we announced (via email, twitter, FB, etc) that we would start pre-selling them one week in advance and that you had to come in to the store to pay for it. Of course, this resulted in numerous “why can't I give you CC# over the phone?" calls, but that's not the worst part.

The day they arrived, we started unpacking them and found 3 that had glasses broken in transit. The owner of the shop had purchased 2 to give as gifts, so he sacrificed his sets, which left us 1 short. The last guy to come in and claim his sets had purchased 3, and when we told him that we only had 2 because of the breakage he was ****ing livid. He started screaming at everyone and doing his best angry toddler impression because "we're stupid ****s who couldn't do anything right."

In the end, the owner ended up refunding the CC charge for one box, gave him a $20 gift certificate, AND gave him 4 bottles from one of the broken sets for free, but he was still screaming about how incompetent we were. At this point, the boss had heard enough, and told him he could take the offer and leave quietly, or we could refund the whole deal, he could leave with nothing, and he would never be welcome in the shop again.

The dickbag finally took his **** and left, but for several months afterward he would try to guilt us into giving him more free or discounted **** on every visit because, "We ****ed up and ruined his Christmas plans."

I swear, dealing with highly allocated **** is almost more trouble than it's worth.

He started screaming at everyone and doing his best angry toddler impression because "we're stupid ****s who couldn't do anything right."

The dickbag finally took his **** and left, but for several months afterward he would try to guilt us into giving him more free or discounted **** on every visit because, "We ****ed up and ruined his Christmas plans."

Goddamn I hate people.

Back