Enough yeast for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here are two pictures of my recent yeast washing ... the jars have been sitting around for 2 weeks now. I am concerned that I don't have enough yeast for the starter. I know what I did wrong (most have been a brain fart) but that doesn't help me now :(
Thanks for your help!

CIMG0197.JPG

CIMG0198.JPG

Theoretically, one yeast cell is enough to get a starter going, it just takes longer.
Depending on the size of those jars, it looks like a decent amount of yeast to get a starter running.

Breweries and yeast growers routinely start with one cell. I know a couple homebrewers that start with almost invisible amounts. You may have to step-up the starter to get enough to pitch, so allow an extra day or two.

yea as everyone else said one cell is enough, just make sure you sterilize/sanitize everything really well. and when starting with a small amount of yeast make a small starter. for example when I start yeast from a slant I use 250ml of start wort then step up to 1 or 2 liters.

Yeah I guess it shouldn't matter. I'm just a little bit concerned since usually I have more yeast left. Well we will see how it turns out in 2-3 weeks :)
Thx guys

Back