American Pale Ale Enigma Wrapped in A Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon87

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Classic clean citrus
While not technically a single hop pale ale, I used a 3ml hopshot @60 to bitter and then exclusively Enigma hops after that. The Enigma hops came through as non-specific citrus and I would occasionally get some green pepper as well. This beer won 2nd place in the American Pale Ale (18b) category at the 2017 Virginia Beer Blitz. This was a really good, easy drinking beer. Enigma isn't my favorite hop but I would easily use this grain bill to tryout other hop(s). For a bumped up version of this grain bill and an amazing beer, check out my single hop Vic Secret IPA recipe!

Grain Bill
65.3% 2-row
24.5% Vienna
4.1% Carapils
4.1% Caramel 10
2% Acid malt

Hop Schedule
3ml hopshot @ 60min
.5oz Enigma @15min
1.5oz Enigma steep/whirlpool for 20min at 180f
3oz Enigma dry hop for the final 4 days before kegging

IBU
Beersmith2 calculated this at 62.4 but it is much lower, this was done before the update to the whirlpool IBU contribution. The most common negative was that it could have used a little bit more bitterness and I agree. It was probably much closer to 30IBU.

ABV
5.8%

I also added a whirfloc tab @15min along with my IC. Fermented with Wyeast 1056, I did not make a starter for this one.

Back