English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey61753

Reaction score
I have Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles and he has English Pale Ale listed in several recipes. I am not able to find it and was wondering what a good substitute would be.

There are a number of different varieties of barley that will have slightly different flavors. Add to that different growing conditions and the flavor combinations grow. You might not notice the difference between a variety grown in North America or one grown in Great Britain but Maris Otter is an English variety so you could start there or you could substitute an American grown variety for this batch, then get some English variety to compare.

The only current offering I can find to use where Jamil calls for English Pale Ale LME is Briess Pale Ale and feel it should do just fine without compromise. Not to be confused with their Pale.
pale_ale_canister.jpg

The only current offering I can find to use where Jamil calls for English Pale Ale LME is Briess Pale Ale and feel it should do just fine without compromise. Not to be confused with their Pale.
pale_ale_canister.jpg
Not a lot of places carry it, but Muntons has a 100% maris otter extract.

Grain or extract?

If grain, I would start with Maris Otter (or use some US Pale Ale grain with a small amount of Biscuit as a poor man's substitute).

If extract, use any Pale or Light extract, I think Muntons is English, but I would use any. Maybe steep a few ozs of Biscuit too.

Grain or extract?

If grain, I would start with Maris Otter (or use some US Pale Ale grain with a small amount of Biscuit as a poor man's substitute).

If extract, use any Pale or Light extract, I think Muntons is English, but I would use any. Maybe steep a few ozs of Biscuit too.
Muntons is 100% English. It is an authentic choice for any of the British or continental styles in Brewing Classic Styles.

Back