English Mild Looking for Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashevillain

Level 3 Potions Master
Reaction score
I was on the verge of brewing a Mild that was sort of a mix between two recipe's in Ron Pattinson's Mild! book.

The recipe so far is:

10gal
7# Marris Otter
4# Flaked Maize (this was originally supposed to be grits)
2.5# Dememera Sugar
~1.5oz Fuggles @90
~1.5oz Fuggles @30

I already have the grains milled together, so I need to stick with what I have so far, but my review of this recipe leaves me thinking there is way too much Maize in there. I wanted something extremely sessionable with that lovely mild character. I'm thinking this is going to turn out more like an English PBR though haha.

My thoughts are to mix the milled grains well, use maybe 2-3# less of this base than intended, and add some black/chocolate malt to make this into a nice dry wartime porter... I might also try to dial back the overall malts used to keep this beer in below 3.5%.

I'd love to hear some suggestions to consider! Any brainstorms are greatly appreciated.

I love mild! But mine doesn't have any maize OR simple sugars, so I'm at a total loss here.

I hope someone smarter than me has some good ideas to help.

These are some old recipes. Maize was used commonly enough as an adjunct when making milds, but normally not alone in the percentage I milled. I guess its time to experiment!

Revised Recipe:

We now have a 1920s ish porter. More complicated than I like but hey it made some good beers back in the day.

~6# Marris
~3# Flaked Maize
1.5# Dememera Sugar
1.25# Black
1.25# Brown
.5# Acid Malt
2oz Flaked Oats

I have not done many Milds but at first glance
If you already mixed in the Flaked corn...I would remove the Sugar and maybe bump up the Maris Otter by .75#
Use .5# Crystal malts (120 or 60+120) and maybe 6oz of Chocolate.
4oz of of Biscuit malt can be a nice addition as well.

adjust for your efficiency.

I see you like brewing some porters from what you have on tap Demon! That suggestion will definitely be considered i pushed by my brewday to thursday to think about it. I really would prefer a mild, I miss a nice full flavored dark mild! Ill let you know what I end up with.

I've made many of Ron's historic Mild recipes. Here's one that uses flaked maize....

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/05/lets-brew-wednesday-1913-adnams-xx-mild.html

You can easily sub the Goldings with your Fuggles and still be period accurate.

I love Ron's blog and research, and honestly had not looked much into Milds, thanks for the Link. I had always assumed that some of the milds downfall was due to the over use of caramel as coloring and that it was a recent addition.

Although here is a 1839 100% "Mild Malt" and @ 11.43%ABV
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.nl/2010/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1839-barclay.html

Ow am ya?

If you're interested in mild ales I'd suggest getting yourself a copy of Graham Wheeler's 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale'. It's basically a book of cloned British milds, bitters, porters & stouts.

The mild recipes include some 'modern' (i.e. post ww2) milds and examples of some older stronger versions that have stood the test of time.

A typical 'modern' Black Country mild is Banks's Mild (which you'll find in most pubs in Wolverhampton). OG1036 3.6%ABV. For 19 litres, pale malt, 70 g black malt, 25 ibus from fuggle, 12 g Golding at 10 mins.

An example of a traditional turn of the century stronger mild would be Sarah Hughe's Ruby Mild (also a Black Country favourite, from the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley - a bostin pint!). OG1058 5.7%ABV for 19litres, pale malt, 750g crystal. 30 ibus from 50/50 fuggle and golding, 16 g fuggle at 10 min.

Btw, if you're going to be drinking mild, get hold of (or try to make) some pork scratching and practice some of these phrases:
http://www.sedgleymanor.com/dictionaries/dialect.html

Tararabit!

An example of a traditional turn of the century stronger mild would be Sarah Hughe's Ruby Mild (also a Black Country favourite, from the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley - a bostin pint!). OG1058 5.7%ABV for 19litres, pale malt, 750g crystal. 30 ibus from 50/50 fuggle and golding, 16 g fuggle at 10 min.

Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby is uncommonly good and disappears fast at the regional beer festivals. Luckily I can still find it on draft occasionally up in Nottingham where it's brewed to a cask strength of 6.2%. I can't recommend it enough.

It's a great beer. Lots of good beer in and around the Black Country. Bathams is glorious and I always stop for a swift pint when I have to change trains at Wolverhampton

Hey all stoked to get some Mild lovers sharing in this thread, look forward to sharing my recipe/brew day tomorrow.

Ow am ya?

If you're interested in mild ales I'd suggest getting yourself a copy of Graham Wheeler's 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale'. It's basically a book of cloned British milds, bitters, porters & stouts.

The mild recipes include some 'modern' (i.e. post ww2) milds and examples of some older stronger versions that have stood the test of time.

A typical 'modern' Black Country mild is Banks's Mild (which you'll find in most pubs in Wolverhampton). OG1036 3.6%ABV. For 19 litres, pale malt, 70 g black malt, 25 ibus from fuggle, 12 g Golding at 10 mins.

Btw, if you're going to be drinking mild, get hold of (or try to make) some pork scratching and practice some of these phrases:
http://www.sedgleymanor.com/dictionaries/dialect.html

Tararabit!

Milds prior to WWI were not always low gravity low alcohol (or dark in color). Here are some figures from Truman brewery in 1850 about mild OG's...
(I chose this year and this brewery because I just happened to be transcribing this recipe into Beersmith last night but Whitbread, Barclay Perkins and many others across England were of similar gravity.)

X Ale ---- 1079.8
XX Ale --- 1093.1
XXX Ale --1108.0

And then there were the keeping versions of those mild ales ranging from 1.094 to 1.114

For reference there was an export India Pale Ale made that year too... it's OG in the log books was recorded as 1.055.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2015/12/lets-brew-wednesday-1850-truman-kxxx.html

Looking through the hundred of recipes covering a span from 1790 to 1989 I definitely agree with you! Its insane the variance we have in this style which makes you speculate into how Milds originated and evolved. I love the low gravity recipes, but am curious about some of these high gravity examples as well. Lots to explore in this "genre" of beer.

Heres what the final malt bill looked like, brewing now.

IMG_3061.jpg

Back