English IPA Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangehero

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for dry hops and schedule for an English IPA?

My plan now is to dry hop with 2 oz East Kent Golding in a 5 gallon batch.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest other complementary hops to give the aroma a little more complexity. I was thinking maybe 1.5 oz EKG and 0.5 oz Amarillo?

Maybe a second dry hop addition of 1 oz EKG?

Any comments on using First Gold and EKG together?

One of my better English IPA recipes uses EKG and Brambling Cross as late and whirlpool additions. They seem to work very well together and the Brambling Cross provides dark currant flavors.

Amarillo could work but you should probably pick something a little less intense. Obviously all the English hops will work, but for something slightly out of the way consider noble hops and any of their derivatives. Continental or US grown - just keep it in that flowery/herbal vein without getting ultra citrusy or tropical. Some of that character is okay but too much will make it seem American.

0.5-1 oz of the more floral American hops could do. Willamette, Cascade, Nugget, Liberty, Cluster, all work ok. BX is very good as noted above. First Gold can be a bit hit and miss. Saaz, Spalt and Tettnang work well too. Challenger and Target can do spicy, Northdown and Brewers' Gold can do a balanced fruitiness too.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Oginme @JKaranka
Brambling cross sounds very interesting. I think blackcurrant would play very well with the
caramel note in an EIPA.

@JKaranka
What do you mean First Gold can be hit or miss?

I figure to stick with EKG this time, from bittering to dry hop.

I've never dry hopped with EKG, any thoughts on using 4 oz total (first 2 oz for 4 days, then 2nd 2 oz for another 4 days)?

If anyone's interested this is the recipe we went with:

82.6% UK Pale Ale Malt (Mix of Golden Promise and Marris Otter)
8.7% US Caramel 60
4.3% TF Amber Malt
4.3% Flaked Wheat

27.4 IBU First Wort East Kent Golding
14.1 IBU 30 min East Kent Golding
9.1 IBU 15 min East Kent Golding
3.6 IBU 5 min East Kent Golding

1.060 OG
54.3 IBU
11.2 SRM

Wyeast 1028 ~0.75 million/mL/°Plato

Water Profile: 15 ppm Bicarbonate, 103 ppm Calcium, 176 ppm Sulfate, 61 ppm Chloride, 1 ppm Magnesium, 8 ppm Sodium

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Oginme @JKaranka
Brambling cross sounds very interesting. I think blackcurrant would play very well with UK Crystal malt.

@JKaranka
What do you mean First Gold can be hit or miss?

I figured to stick with EKG this time, from bittering to dry hop.

I've never dry hopped with EKG, any thoughts on using 4 oz total (first 2 oz for 4 days, then 2nd 2 oz for another 4 days)?

I enjoy it, but in a large quantity it can take on quite a bit of floral characteristics. I'd try the 2 oz and decide, as that may be enough. You could use some willamette for the second dry hop if you wanted more hops aroma, instead of all EKG if you really wanted to use 4 ounces of dryhops.

0.5-1 oz of the more floral American hops could do. Willamette, Cascade, Nugget, Liberty, Cluster, all work ok. BX is very good as noted above. First Gold can be a bit hit and miss. Saaz, Spalt and Tettnang work well too. Challenger and Target can do spicy, Northdown and Brewers' Gold can do a balanced fruitiness too.

I really like Challenger or Target in combination with EKG. Granted I haven't done an English IPA, but I do bitters with them all the time. To me Bramling Cross is a bit better for darker colored brews because of the currant flavors, but that's all personal taste.

Latest posts

Back