English IPA - Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
I brewed the following this weekend (5 gallon batch):

13.5# Marris Otter
1.75# Vienna
.5# Victory

Hops:

.5 oz Warrior at 75 minutes

.25 oz Target at 30 minutes

1 oz EKG at 10 minutes
.5 oz Delta at 10 minutes
.5 oz Ahtanum at 10 minutes
.25 oz Chinook at 10 minutes

1 oz EKG at FO
.5 oz Delta at FO
.5 oz Ahtanum at FO
.25 oz Chinook at FO

The FO additions was in two stages: half immediately at knock out, let sit for 20 minutes. Chilled to 170-180, added the remaining hops, let sit for 20 minutes. Finish chilling.

WYeast 1968

Now I'm torn on whether to add some dry hops. If I did, it would be with Chinook (don't want to make a run to the LHBS for an ounce of hops).

Thoughts?

Well I would dry hop it personally. The next posts are going to tell you that it's not an English IPA, but I'm not a style purist. I think it looks like a nice 'balanced' brew.

Well, I"ll be the one- that's not an English IPA. :D

So, yes, dryhop the heck out of it!

Chinook and ahtanum are both great hops, but they are so overwhelmingly US hops (and chinook is especially so) that there won't be any hint of EKG in the final beer.

Dry hopping is fine. What do you usually get from Chinook dry hopped? The only negative for English IPA is if the hop character comes out more piney/resinous. Should be floral, earthy, and fruity

Well, I"ll be the one- that's not an English IPA. :D

So, yes, dryhop the heck out of it!

Chinook and ahtanum are both great hops, but they are so overwhelmingly US hops (and chinook is especially so) that there won't be any hint of EKG in the final beer.

The recipe is based on Thornbridge Jaipur. I actually swapped the EKG for Centennial to be a bit more traditional. I think I should still get some nice floral notes from ahtanum. Mostly though, it's a more malt forward ale with a firm bitterness.

Latest posts

Back