Emergnecy starter, its brew day & my wyeast pack has a hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
Well, I forgot to set my wyeast out last night, so I did it 1st thing this morning. Now I notice a tiny pin hole at the top of the pack. I think I want to move the yeast to a sanitized bottle or something & maybe make a tiny starter. Porblem is I don't have any dme nor a flask. So what do you guys suggest I do?

I have heard that you can use Malta. I think that is what it is called. It is a malt beverage that you can find in grocery stores.

You can use a glass jar or jug to make the starter.

Check out mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on making starters and for the size you need for your recipe.

That pin hole would make me nervous. Is there another beer brewing that you could siphon some of the yeast cake from? That said, I'm pretty new, so I'm not 100% sure that's a good idea.

That pin hole would make me nervous. Is there another beer brewing that you could siphon some of the yeast cake from? That said, I'm pretty new, so I'm not 100% sure that's a good idea.

I could, but its a saison 3724 yeast, and im brewing a cream ale today. Im pretty sure that pin hole happened when I smacked the activator because its in a seam and there was no spillage in the package the yeast was shipped in. For now I've just covered it in a starsan soaked paper towel.

I know this isn't much help at the moment, but this is why I always have a pack or two of US-05 in the fridge. I wouldn't worry too much about the pinhole, if in fact you did just put it in there. You could always throw the 3724 in and see what happens......

I know this isn't much help at the moment, but this is why I always have a pack or two of US-05 in the fridge. I wouldn't worry too much about the pinhole, if in fact you did just put it in there. You could always throw the 3724 in and see what happens......

Agreed. No reason NOT to have a pack or two of S-05, maybe some Nottingham, WB-06 in case you are making a wheat beer, maybe some EC-1118 for a badly stuck ferment, cuvee for a cider . . . .

Dry yeast is cheap and works well.

Back