EMERGENCY - temp guage failed - currently mashing low HEKP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootvonRoot

Reaction score
yall
my digital thermometer failed and gave my 15F higher readings than it should - i'm curretnly mashing at 130F for about 30min - i aimed for 150F, can i just add hot water, raise temp, and mash for my 75min at 150 and be ok?

im brewing as we speaking - thinking about dumpiing it if i don' get an answer...

right on - dry rocks so i'll give it a try - hoping i have enough head room to add enough water - time will tell - thanks

I have done a psudo-decoction when I found myself in that situation.

Pull some grains and liquid, transfer to a pot and bring to a boil, add back to the mash to raise the temp. simple

now THATS something i didn't think of... i like that idea - although i did get my MT to 150F adding boiling water ... im using 100% of my MT for a 5 gallon batch - mash is thin, result of super adjusting temp twice, once before i knew my thermometer was crap and then once after .... starting my 75 min mash now at 150 ...but i'll keep the mini decoction in mind for future reference

whew ... i making it through the brew session today - albeit limpings ... trying not to worry, drinkin' a home brew :)

When this turns out to be the best flippin beer you have ever made, you will have a hell of a time reproducing it.

I take notes on every brewday, I add thoughts in there too, on possible changes to recipe, errors I made.

I have a beer entered in KingBrianI's British Bitter Brewoff, due to me being in a rush (and a tick buzzed), I undershot my mash temp. I used a decoction calculator to determine the volume needed to hit my mash temp and got to brewing. I ended up with a fantastic beer, I will deliberately do a decoction on that recipe next time I brew it because I liked the malt complexity and had the forethought to detail my mis-steps I made to get me there.

Back