Emergency help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzeQ

Reaction score
So I started my extract kit and my wort is just about finished. I went over the ingredients list again and noticed I'm missing 2lbs of pale extract. 7lbs total. My not close brew shop is closed today. Should I finish the brew or shut the pot down till tomorrow afternoon. It's a Trappist dubbel kit I bought on line if it matters. I will in the future triple check my ingredients list. Thanks for any assistance. (I did shut the pot down and pulled the bag of grains after 20.)

Personally, I'd roll with it as is.

So I started my extract kit and my wort is just about finished. I went over the ingredients list again and noticed I'm missing 2lbs of pale extract. 7lbs total. My not close brew shop is closed today. Should I finish the brew or shut the pot down till tomorrow afternoon. It's a Trappist dubbel kit I bought on line if it matters. I will in the future triple check my ingredients list. Thanks for any assistance. (I did shut the pot down and pulled the bag of grains after 20.)
Finish. You can add the extract later to the fermentor.

If you do, don't add DME to the fermentor if it's actively fermenting. It will 'splode. Believe me. Best to liquify (and sanitize) your extract before adding.

Best to liquify (and sanitize) your extract before adding.
You mean dissolve in just enough hot (or boiling) water to make it easy to pour, once it's chilled. If using hot or warm water leave at 150F for 10' or so to pasteurize? 😜

When fully dissolved, put a well fitting lid on the pot (clean and sanitized) and chill in a tub or the sink with some cold water, before adding it to your fermenter.
It's important all the extract powder is fully dissolved before adding the new wort, or you'll get a fountain...

Wanted to come back and thank you all again. I took a gravity reading this morning and its 1.050. The info states that it should be about 1.061 with a finish of 5.9. I did boil a little longer per Jaybirds suggestions and I'm very happy with it as is. I had no idea that was a thing.
Another question. Spittybug mentioned adding honey. Could dextrose be added to boost alcohol content like in wine making or would that mess with the flavors. I'm just curious. No plans to add to this batch

Could dextrose be added to boost alcohol content like in wine making or would that mess with the flavors. I'm just curious. No plans to add to this batch

You can add dextrose to boost ABV. The tradeoff is that the beer will be thinner (less body) and have less malt flavor than a beer of the same ABV that didn't get part of its ABV from dextrose.

Wanted to come back and thank you all again. I took a gravity reading this morning and its 1.050. The info states that it should be about 1.061 with a finish of 5.9. I did boil a little longer per Jaybirds suggestions and I'm very happy with it as is. I had no idea that was a thing.
Another question. Spittybug mentioned adding honey. Could dextrose be added to boost alcohol content like in wine making or would that mess with the flavors. I'm just curious. No plans to add to this batch
As vike said, adding simple sugar will thin the body. That doesn't make it a bad thing, but you might take a sample and ask yourself if "thinner" is OK. This sort of early assessment is not going to be easy for a beginner. Beers always seem thinner before they are carbonated.

If you add sugar, there is no reason not to use simple table sugar - exact same result. Almost. Table sugar is 9% more "sugar" by weight. The reason is that dextrose is more hydrophylic - it's 9% water. Table sugar is crystalline and is 0% water.

Back