Emergency! Did i ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
lol, just doughed in and missed my protein rest by 5 deg, hitting 130f instead of 125f....I think i might get a little chill haze?! what should i do? i might have a 12 year old bag of irish moss somewhere....damn it, i hope i don't have to dump it....

I've heard of folks resting at 130F. Definitely not ruined. No need for moss - you could mechanically filter heading into the primary, and/or cold crash it.

i hope i don't have to dump it....

o_O Can't tell if joking or serious. Of course it's *not* ruined and will be totally fine. It's 5 degrees different, not gonna make your beer suddenly destroyed. And honestly, unless you're shooting for a competition so what if it's a bit hazy? Plus you could always fine with gelatin.

Rev.

totally trolling....i've read the range for a protein rest is 118f-~132f...but that it's actually two different enzymes at the low to upper end of it....so i usually shoot for 125f....and the reason i have 12 year old bag of irish moss is because i gave up on clear beer about 2 years into my homebrew adventure....

it's just now with homemalt, without the protein rest. it looks like almond milk someone urinated in...but i still drink it...

it's just now with homemalt, without the protein rest. it looks like almond milk someone urinated in...but i still drink it...

Eh. I've drank worse. I'm very forgiving of my own homebrew, and others', but super critical of commercial craft beer. If this was my actual day job, you bet I'd be seeking true perfection with about $20,000 worth of gear.

Definitely should not drink it. Finish fermenting and send to me for proper disposal.

it's a 10gal batch, but the beer only cost me ~8 bucks so...you pay for shipping, i'll fill up the fermenter that has a broken handle i'm planing on replacing and send you a batch....

too continue the ****ed up brew day...i'm think after this is a total loss....i was stepping up my mash tun for a alpha rest at 162f...and i ended up adding too much boiled run off, too fast and didn't stir it in fast enough, i think the top half of the round cooler got to like 167-168f for like 30-40 seconds before i caught it and stirred it more.....i'm thinking i might only get like 80% effc instead of 85%...

what do you think, should i just drain the mash tun and make whiskey, or continue?

effin' relentless, this one ;)

speaking of which, it came time to start my sparge so i cracked my ball valve on the mash tun....nothing! i was like f'you, cracked it all the way, got flow! saved the sparge anyway...i'll still have to wait till measuring OG to see if that flop of mash temp, f's up my effec....

edit: keep in mind, i have a lot of free time...and don't relate to "users"...

speaking of which, it came time to start my sparge so i cracked my ball valve on the mash tun....nothing! i was like f'you, cracked it all the way, got flow! saved the sparge anyway...i'll still have to wait till measuring OG to see if that flop of mash temp, f's up my effec....

Troll efficiency 92.5%

Troll efficiency 92.5%

not on home malt....i do actually get 95% with 'modern' malt though.....my home malt is really inconsistent, so it varies from 78%-85%...it seems to depend on the acrospire, still trying to get it more often 85% range...

i'll update with a corrected pre-boil gravity, here in about an hour or so....usually that's 3 points higher then my final effc, according to beersmith...

if i have to add any more than a pound of table sugar to get my 1.060,.....we'll i'll be disappointed, but i GUESS, i'll still drink it....

Haha, just read this from start to finish and I knew it! I was going to be like wait a minute, you malt your own grain and are farting around with this question.
Btw, how is the home-grown tobacco I feel like I'm really missing something. Born and raised in Fort Collins Colorado I'm not too worried about funny cigarettes.

Yeah I was going to say if you didn't post this in the right Forum you probably got in trouble. A guy who is still a member here and actually is kind of funny. Posted a thread about a film on his beer. It was funny to see the comments people made. I mean nobody seems to have any trust in anyone. Or at least that was my takeaway. We all know he can brew but the comments ran the whole gamut. He carried it on a few days and then posted a picture of a film on a beer. It was a VHS tape he had put floating in the beer. It was pretty damn Epic. That said he got in a lot of trouble for screwing around. You'll get a kick out of that thread if you can find it I think it's film on beer.

Haha, just read this from start to finish and I knew it! I was going to be like wait a minute, you malt your own grain and are farting around with this question.
Btw, how is the home-grown tobacco I feel like I'm really missing something. Born and raised in Fort Collins Colorado I'm not too worried about funny cigarettes.

Yeah I was going to say if you didn't post this in the right Forum you probably got in trouble. A guy who is still a member here and actually is kind of funny. Posted a thread about a film on his beer. It was funny to see the comments people made. I mean nobody seems to have any trust in anyone. Or at least that was my takeaway. We all know he can brew but the comments ran the whole gamut. He carried it on a few days and then posted a picture of a film on a beer. It was a VHS tape he had put floating in the beer. It was pretty damn Epic. That said he got in a lot of trouble for screwing around. You'll get a kick out of that thread if you can find it I think it's film on beer.

film on beer, i'll have to look for it...and lol, that's why i said i was being a troll early, i didn't want to actually hurt anyone's feelings...

just disappointed in my strike temp, wanted to cry about it...

and i clocked in at 1.034, at probably something like 130f for a pre-boil gravity...might get my 1.060 beer after all! without any sugar! still only 80% effc though....20.2 pale malt, 1 lb crystal something, another half pound crystal something else...but they smelled like they'd make a good beer together...it looks pretty so far!

shwew(SP?)...lol, so i ended up with a OG for 10gal's of 1.060 at 82f....so 83% effc....not great but, ....allright....i tried to take a pic, but my dig camera is from 2000...

Thanks HomeBrewTown for saving my brew day! couldn't have done it without you! (seriously, the humor and all...i really wouldn't have given a damn, and known i could get beer anyway)

ugh. just finished the boil.
It was dark on the deck where I put the pot with 5.5 gallons of wort so the wort chiller could drain into the yard.
I didn't notice the out hose on the wort chiller was in the pot when i turned the cold water on.
back up to almost 7 gallons.
Boiling back down with the hop bag pulled.
Plan to put the hop bag back in when I've boiled back down to 5.5 gallons so it can sit while it cools.

this should work right?

ugh. just finished the boil.
It was dark on the deck where I put the pot with 5.5 gallons of wort so the wort chiller could drain into the yard.
I didn't notice the out hose on the wort chiller was in the pot when i turned the cold water on.
back up to almost 7 gallons.
Boiling back down with the hop bag pulled.
Plan to put the hop bag back in when I've boiled back down to 5.5 gallons so it can sit while it cools.

this should work right?

i would supose it depends on if you want good beer or 'great' beer? but g'dmn'it, it's gonna have alcohol so party at your place! :mug:

Back