Emergency blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
So after having a double brew day yesterday I came home to find my airlock filled with krausen and actively blowing off all over the place. This is the first time I've used a Carboy as a primary but wanting to watch the process thought this would be a good idea. I fashioned a blow off with 1/2 high temp tubing hooked to the inside tube of the airlock and have it going into a mason jar half filled with water. Is this acceptable considering the vigorous fermentation going on? I've heard of people using blow off tubes but thought they just went into the neck of the Carboy and were like 1" dia.

image-90388911.jpg

image-3004861688.jpg

image-3258055824.jpg

I have used that type of setup with a bucket with good results. I think that you will be OK.

I kept the tube pretty short 18". I cannot tell by the picture how the length of your 1/2" tubing.

Yeah it's like 5' long but it's my High temp tubing for my march pump and don't want to cut it. It's the only thing I had on hand that i could rig up in a hurry. Does length matter?

Mine filled up with a lot of junk, I would worry about it plugging. Make sure that you just go up from the carboy then down to the bottle. If you have a low spot stuff will accumulate there and plug.

On second thought I do not think that a 5' tube is a good idea if you are having a lot of material going up, it would take a lot of pressure to push junk up that high.

Back