Emergency! 5 gal batch boiled off to 3 gal, OG 1.090! Add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I had my beer smith boil off rate set at standard, but now my 5 gal batch is 3 gal batch is 1.090 og! i already dumped it into the fermenter, pitched yeast etc. Should I boil 2 gal and add it? or just rock an accidental IIPA?

I oxygenated with pure o2... I'd hate to introduce anything like foreign yeast... I guess I'll just settle for the iipa. Hmmm I wonder why boil off was so... Off.

If you are worried about foreign yeast just boil your two gallons of water and use an ice bath to chill it rapidly. Add once the water is close to wort temperature. Or just roll with the higher og.... Although then you need to worry about your pitch rate.

If you are worried about foreign yeast just boil your two gallons of water and use an ice bath to chill it rapidly. Add once the water is close to wort temperature. Or just roll with the higher og.... Although then you need to worry about your pitch rate.

I only pitched 830ml of starter

I used to top off with unboiled water when I did extract batches all the time (as have many people) and never had a problem. Not saying it's the best route...Another option besides those mentioned is just buy two gallons of spring water or distilled water from the store asap and add it to the fermenting vessel. Should cost less than $2 and if it's sealed there is little chance of contamination.

Did you use a stir plate? 1 pack of what yeast?

If you used a stir plate you should be fine...

Yep, stir plate. Used coopers yeast though... Had WL007... Stir plate has been in action before this fiasco...

I used to top off with unboiled water when I did extract batches all the time (as have many people) and never had a problem. Not saying it's the best route...Another option besides those mentioned is just buy two gallons of spring water or distilled water from the store asap and add it to the fermenting vessel. Should cost less than $2 and if it's sealed there is little chance of contamination.

I like this bottle water idea but I won't be able to reach an open store for 7 hours. Proceed?

I did the 2 gal of bottled water... Wishing for the best! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412260275.057755.jpg

Where should I pug in the extra added water in BeerSmith?

It's not so much about putting in added water. Boil off rate is not a fixed value. It has to do with MANY variables: pot hight and width, actual power of your burner, humidity, temp, axial positioning of the moon.... A lot of stuff.
It's as easy as when you're done and you're off by whatever amount just top off as soon as it goes into fermenter and before you take gravity. Or, measure first and see if you even need to top off of if you're Gravity is on the mark for any reason. Then you can decide which is more important, hitting the OG, hitting the volume, or both if the only issue is the volume.

It's good to keep a few extra jugs of water ready. But yeah don't worry about toping off. You need to do it sometimes when your numbers don't match up. If you do too off, just be sure to mix it in well before you take the gravity. Good luck and cheers!

- ISM NRP

I top off all the time...I purposefully have higher boil off rates in order to top off with my own sanitized ice and cold water in order to cool down really quick and no issues at all with this. You'll be fine.

Back