Eliminating the Faulty Funk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made a few extract batches that have residual off flavors. In reading HBTF and other sources, this has been caused by a number of reasons:

My impatience - pitching temps too high. - fermentation temps too high - unintentional aeration - and the big one....house water that is way off for brewing.
I've made corrections in all of these areas with noticeable improvements in each batch, but still working on graduating from a drinkable "OK" beer to a blow your shorts off brew. My next batch with be all grain. Still some confusion about OXIDATION...

1. What should be my target temp with my chiller, and what's the most effective way to use it?
Ive read anywhere from 68 to "under 80". Currently I just put the boil kettle in the laundry tub with the chiller hooked up and stir. This seems to take about 20 minutes to get down to mid 70's.
I'm thinking it would be easier to run a hose in the garage where my burner is and eliminate potential sloshing. Skip the stirring? Might take a bit longer.

2. I've been aerating by pouring twice between 2 buckets before putting in glass carboy. Is there a better method? What should my max temp be before aeration?

3. How do you get 1/2 inch space when bottling? I fill to the top with a bottle wand, but the displacement is a good inch of space when I remove it.
Any tips to prevent aeration when bottling?
I think on next batch I'll skip the hose on the bottling wand and connect directly to the bucket valve.

4. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Here is the quick and easy answer list:

1. Cool to fermentation temperatures that are listed by the yeast manufacturer before pitching. If they say (respectively) ferment at 65F, then cool to 65F, pitch and keep it there.

2. 80 degrees Fahrenheit or above will supposedly cause hot side aeration (HSA). If you are looking for optimum aeration, then buy and o2 tank with the proper adapter and diffusion stone.

3. A bottling wand leaves a perfect amount of headspace for a 12oz bottle, so stay with it, and don't bother with filling from the valve.

4. Stick with it broham and cheers! :mug:

I've made a few extract batches that have residual off flavors. In reading HBTF and other sources, this has been caused by a number of reasons:

My impatience - pitching temps too high. - fermentation temps too high - unintentional aeration - and the big one....house water that is way off for brewing.
I've made corrections in all of these areas with noticeable improvements in each batch, but still working on graduating from a drinkable "OK" beer to a blow your shorts off brew. My next batch with be all grain. Still some confusion about OXIDATION...

1. What should be my target temp with my chiller, and what's the most effective way to use it?
Ive read anywhere from 68 to "under 80". Currently I just put the boil kettle in the laundry tub with the chiller hooked up and stir. This seems to take about 20 minutes to get down to mid 70's.
I'm thinking it would be easier to run a hose in the garage where my burner is and eliminate potential sloshing. Skip the stirring? Might take a bit longer.

Under 80 is ok for pitching. Where do you ferment? Room Temp house, swamp cooler, freezer w/temp control. You want to get down to temp recommended by the yeast people as fast as can.

2. I've been aerating by pouring twice between 2 buckets before putting in glass carboy. Is there a better method? What should my max temp be before aeration?

A better methond is an air stone and a pump, but not really a needed method. What you are doing sounds fine

3. How do you get 1/2 inch space when bottling? I fill to the top with a bottle wand, but the displacement is a good inch of space when I remove it.
Any tips to prevent aeration when bottling?
I think on next batch I'll skip the hose on the bottling wand and connect directly to the bucket valve.

Don't skip the wand. Fill bottles to the very top and you have the right amount when using the wand.
4. Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Since this is your first all grain make sure you get your water volumes correct, and get control over your mash temp.

Good luck and relax

Under 80 is ok for pitching. Where do you ferment? Room Temp house, swamp cooler, freezer w/temp control. You want to get down to temp recommended by the yeast people as fast as can.

I got a cheap fridge off craigslist and bought a temp controller and a thermowell.

A better methond is an air stone and a pump, but not really a needed method. What you are doing sounds fine

I'll pick up an oxygen system this week. Looks like it's around 60 bucks plus the oxygen.

Don't skip the wand. Fill bottles to the very top and you have the right amount when using the wand.

So 1+ inches space is OK? I'll keep using it, but several people suggest 1/2" bottling space. There is a great thread here (don't remember the contributor) on attaching the wand to the bottling bucket with just a couple inches of tubing, letting the wand dangle down. Less flow travel.

Since this is your first all grain make sure you get your water volumes correct, and get control over your mash temp.

Thanks!

Back