ELF best christmas movie.....ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
This turned out to be the least painful christmas movie I have to watch each year.

Definitely funny!!

+1 on that.

Elf is an excellent X-mas movie -- Will Ferrel is the bomb.

However, I have to at least nominate Christmas Vacation. An Xmas Eve screening is an annual tradition in our family.

"Halleluja, Holy S*&t! Where's the Tylenol?!"

the best Christmas movie by far is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and its not even close

I am a huge scrooge... my GF hates it, but honestly, come on! You are going to compare those movies to White Christmas? Miracle on 34th Street? Or the GREATEST CHRISTMAS MOVIE EVER, HANDS DOWN:

A Chistmas Story?

Heresy. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is tied with A Christmas Story for number one. Anyone who says It's a Wonderful Life should probably go find another thread to post in for a while.

Heresy. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is tied with A Christmas Story for number one. Anyone who says It's a Wonderful Life should probably go find another thread to post in for a while.
*slinking out quietly*

However, I agree that A Christmas Story is way above anything but IAWL.

Dude, Jingle All The Way by far. The Govenator, superheros, Christmas and Phil Hartman all rolled into one kickass movie.

Christmas Vacation is awesome! I like watching Christmas Story every few years, but it gets tiresome.

I also thought The Santa Clause was brilliant.

Elf is good, but also tiresome in that annoying Will Ferrell kind of way.

Christmas Story

NLCV is a distant second.

WF should be taken out back and shot.

challenger-1.png

I was going to post Die Hard but someone beat me to it. :) Better Off Dead also counts in my book. But neither are as good as the best Christmas movie: Gremlins.

A Christmas story (Although I do get tired of ANY movie, so I may pass on this one this year)

NLCV is pretty good. I haven't seen it in a few years, so I think I'm due.

IAWL is just boring IMHO. I can appreciate it for what it is, but man it's long.

34th street. I have no idea. I am not sure I've seen more than 10 minutes of it.

ELF was entertaining, but just ok for me.

Bad Santa was very funny, but a bit rough at times. The backdoor scene in the changing room had me rolling.

Not a movie but I always enjoyed A Charlie Brown Christmas, a lot because of the music but a nice story too. I do get a bit tired of it though so if I miss a couple years it is more enjoyable. I also have fond memories of the old Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer with Burl Ives.

Sadly, IMO your choice of what are good Christmas movies often compares with your age. I liked ELF but to say the best of all time? Not for me. I like White Christmas (Holiday Inn) and The Bells of Saint Mary’s.

Dude, Jingle All The Way by far. The Govenator, superheros, Christmas and Phil Hartman all rolled into one kickass movie.

Tried to watch it. Arny has lost his charm.

1. Christmas Vacation
2. A Christmas Story
3. Scrooged
4. Die Hard :) - hey it was a Christmas Party.

If die hard is a christmas movie, then so is gremlins!

I was going to post Die Hard but someone beat me to it. :) Better Off Dead also counts in my book. But neither are as good as the best Christmas movie: Gremlins.

Doh!lol.

Will Ferill sucks???

Have you seen "The Producers"? and............well...everything else he has done sucks, but ELF is awesome. Watch it again.

Never saw Elf. Bad Santa was a "once is good enough for me" film. Same with NLCV, mostly b/c it has the most unfunny 'comic actor' in America, Chevy Chase. Didn't like him on SNL back in the day; tolerated him in the otherwise classic Caddyshack.

I'm more of a traditionalist. Top 6 'must see' each year for me is:

6. White Christmas
5. Christmas in Connecticut
4. Holiday Affair
3. Miracle on 34th St.
2. A Christmas Story
1. It's A Wonderful Life

If you've never seen Holiday Affair, you're missing out. Robert Mitchum was the man. And you think Donna Reed has some bazongas? Check out the missile silos holding Janet Leigh aloft in that film.

Jim Henson's Muppet Family Christmas, people. Who doesn't still crack up at literally everyone slipping on the icy patch, or the Swedish Chef attempting to cook Big Bird for Christmas Dinner? Who doesn't well up a little during the carol sing at the end?

I could do without the Fraggle Rock part, but the rest is gold.

"Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny f*c*ing Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white a** down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of a**holes this side of the nuthouse." Clark Griswold

Bad Santa wins the vote at my house. My husband can watch it over and over...it probably helps that he's Jewish...

:)

"Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny f*c*ing Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white a** down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of a**holes this side of the nuthouse." Clark Griswold

I love Christmas Vacation but that rant was waaaaay too similar to his "You're all f'ed in the head!" rant from the first movie.

Latest posts

Back