eletric element and biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello all.
im currently using biab, and use a electric heater bin to do the mash in and also the boil.

i batch sparge. when i go to pour the mash into the boiler, that i have previously collected from the first mash, which is in a fermenting bucket, i have a fair bit of sediment already settling in there.

i have always poured the whole lot into the boiler, sediment included as i thought there might be sugars and other goodness init.
however last time, after the boil my element was caked in burnt stuff. it has left a burnt smell and taste. the burnt smell has now gone after dry hopping in secondary, but the taste remains there.
it was in primary for about 11 days and in secondary for about 14 days.

my question is, will the taste clear up now its bottled??

also, the sediment i poured in, does that contain any goodness in it, or is it just fine bits of malt that i don't want in the boil??

really want the taste to clear :(

any help is very appreciated

thanks

I am not following your process... but burnt tastes do not mellow out.

I scrorched my last batch and I am getting ready to dump it all.... the burnt taste got worse after it fermented out.

thanks/sorry
Kevin

yeah sorry my explanation wasn't great, i was in bit off a rush when i typed that.

thats sad news :( such a waste. i guess i may as well let it sit in bottles for a little while and try it again in a few weeks and hope for the best

thanks for your input

I have dumped one batch in twenty some years...a scorched batch, the ashtray taste does not get better with age.
Fifteen gallons down the drain...didn't even bother kegging it. Sooner the better it was gone !!!

From my understanding, scorching is based on 3 different factors:

1)Watts per square inch of element as it is being used
all elements are rated by the number of watts per square inch. The Lower the number the better, I believe the 14' camco ripple 5500W element is 50w per square inch. If you have for example a 5' 5500w element, i would assume that the watts per square inch would be much higher and cause scorching.

2) How much wheat is in batch
I have heard that wheat has a tendancy to stick to elements and burn for some reason. Especially if you add more then 15% of grain bill.

3) Poor flow around element due to obstacles (element shields etc)
Boiling liquid does an amazingly good job of stirring itself and standardizing the temperature throughout the volume of liquid. But, If your element is shrouded by element shields, a SS grain bag, or other objects, then you will create hot zones around your element and can cause scorching.

Back