Element in kettle and rims tube at same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
I haven't seen my idea posted anywhere, or maybe I just didn't find it. Up front I only have access to 120v at the moment and that won't be changing anytime soon. I also do BIAB and only mash in a cooler for high gravity beers that would overflow my kettle.
I'm building a rims tube to control temps in my cooler mash tun. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it would be a bad idea or not to use it with the boil kettle. If I run the rims tube and kettle elements at the same time on different circuits I should be able to reach boil quicker. Right? I figure I could then turn off the rims when boiling.
Does anybody with more experience see a negative to my thinking?
Thanks in advance for any input. I'm not new to electric but I am still a bit new to electric brewing!

I don't see a problem with what you propose. But, you do need to make sure the RIMS & pump are off for boiling. Liquids at, or near, boiling temp will cavitate in the pump, which is harmful to the impeller.

Brew on :mug:

I don't see a problem with what you propose. But, you do need to make sure the RIMS & pump are off for boiling. Liquids at, or near, boiling temp will cavitate in the pump, which is harmful to the impeller.

Definitely! I just want to shorten up the time it takes to get to boil. Once I'm there the single element in the kettle should do the job by itself.

I do this when heating strike water or transferring from the MLT to the BK. Makes the brew day go faster when you can heat water/wort faster.

I do this when heating strike water or transferring from the MLT to the BK. Makes the brew day go faster when you can heat water/wort faster.
Sweet! Sounds like I'm ok then.

I thought you were supposed to circulate boiling wort through the pump/tubing to sanitize it?

I use my RIMS to get to a boil quicker all the time it works well.

I thought you were supposed to circulate boiling wort through the pump/tubing to sanitize it?
I think it works better if you circulate when the temp is about 170° - 190°F. 160° is more than hot enough to sanitize. And, make sure the pump is throttled on the output side, as throttling on the inlet side can encourage cavitation.

Back