Electrical question ... but way off topic for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
This morning I have been reading about electrical safety, specifically grounding, while I drink my morning coffee. Armed with a little knowledge, I got to thinking about the scene in the movie "Groundhog Day" where Bill Murray commits suicide by sitting upright in a bathtub and dropping a plugged in toaster into the tub with with him. Given my newly acquired knowledge about electricity and grounding, in theory (please don't try this at home kiddies) wouldn't the electricity flow directly from the toaster to the drain pipe which is grounded? I understand that it might flow through some body parts that are between those two points. And although some of those "parts" are rather special, running 120 volts through them by no means would be pleasant, but it shouldn't be fatal ... right?

It should now be obvious to everyone why I had such a hard time paying attention in school. ;)

Interesting thoughts. I think if given the right circumstances this would be the case. Although not very many metal drains or tubs for that matter anymore. They are all pvc or or vinyl. But older homes with cast iron tubs and galvanized drains, plenty of conductivity there. Maybe you should E-mail Mythbusters, wait, I think I saw that one (maybe).

Interesting thoughts. I think if given the right circumstances this would be the case. Although not very many metal drains or tubs for that matter anymore. They are all pvc or or vinyl. But older homes with cast iron tubs and galvanized drains, plenty of conductivity there. Maybe you should E-mail Mythbusters, wait, I think I saw that one (maybe).

I live in an older home with all copper and cast iron pipes. I forgot that most of the civilized world is using that new fangled PVC stuff. But given your PVC scenario, unless you touched something grounded it still shouldn't kill you.

I love eating my toast in the bathtub. I keep my toaster within reach so it's nice and hot. If I splash a little bit, I can get away without hair gel for the day.

2738613139_cb7ff354bd.jpg

Mythbusters did do an episode on this, I just finished watching it. They had their test dummy laying down in the bathtub between the location where the appliance was in the water and the drain (ground). So the current went directly through the test dummy's chest providing a lethal shock to the heart. So although it is possible to kill yourself with a toaster in a bathtub, Bill Murray's method would have probably failed to kill him.

bill-murray-toaster.jpg

Back