Electric/wiring grain mill help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
I have a mill that does a good job. It's just too slow in my opinion. It's got a direct drive motor that can go 1400 rpm (so says the sticker on the motor), but instead goes ~70 rpm. I took the electric box apart and found this little guy.

IMG_20191206_184021.jpg

No idea what all this means, but I'm sure it's what is responsible for slowing the motor. It's got two wires going in/out of it so I could easily bypass it, but that means it'll go at the full potential of 1400.

So the question is: What do I replace it with to speed it up to closer to 200 rpm?

Thanks in advance.

It is a motor start capacitor:

Start capacitors briefly increase motor starting torque and allow a motor to be cycled on and off rapidly. A start capacitor stays in the circuit long enough to rapidly bring the motor up to a predetermined speed, which is usually about 75% of the full speed, and is then taken out of the circuit,

Yeah, I found that on wikipedia too. Wasn't really asking for a definition of a capacitor more than looking for what uf to replace it with to achieve ~200 rpm or if bypassing altogether was a viable option.

Start capacitors have zero to do with how fast a motor spins.
Can you provide identifying information on the motor?

btw, are you certain there's no gearing in this motor? It's highly unlikely you're running a grain mill on a direct drive motor that's only spinning at 70 rpm...

Cheers!

Start capacitors have zero to do with how fast a motor spins.
Can you provide identifying information on the motor?

btw, are you certain there's no gearing in this motor? It's highly unlikely you're running a grain mill on a direct drive motor that's only spinning at 70 rpm...

Cheers!
I was thinking it as you were typing it. There is a gear box bolted to the motor. I separated the two and powered up the motor - spun up to 1400 rpm easy. Never noticed the spindle coming out of (what I thought was the motor) was off of center. Probably because the electric box was blocking it.

Brings us to a new question. The gear box has a label on it likely referring to the gear ratio - 4GN-40K. Looks like I need to do some research and find a gear box that'll spin me a bit faster.

Found some more info about the gear box, namely, what the numbers mean. 4 = dimension (80mm), GN = gear type (common gear box), 40 = reduction ratio, K = gear bearing ratio (ball bearing).

Now I need to math.

Look for a compatible 10:1 gear box reducer; this will put you at 140rpm which is a great speed for the overwhelming majority of homebrew grain mills

Back