Electric Vs gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1199

Reaction score
I looking into a new brew system. I have a line on a electric system but I was going to build a gas Brutus type system. Pros and cons? Any opinions would be great!

I'd go electric. In fact I'm planning on switching to electric as soon as it warms up a bit here.

1) cheaper than bottled propane
2) quieter!
3) easier to make control circuits
4) no CO danger in an enclosed space.

Of course it depend on how well the thing is put together. And it helps if you have a place with a suitable supply.

I love my electric system very responsive and no running out of gas
as long as you build it SAFELY you will not be disappointed :mug:

Refilling propane tanks every couple of brews got really expensive. Electric, you won't have to worry about running out of heat...hopefully.

Propane is loud, smelly, requires ventilation which sucks in the winter.......I think you are seeing a trend here. Good luck on your new system.

I am currently running a hybrid system (Propane BK and E-HLT)... I love my E-HLT... Flip a switch and you are good to go...

That being said, you must be EXTREMELY careful with setting up your electric setup... There was a recent post about another brewer and his unfortunate experience with a 'hot' piece of equipment... Not to say that propane can't be dangerous as well...

I'm with these guys...

When the time comes down the road...it's gonna be all electric for me.

I use both. Electric to heat my mash and strike water, and propane for the boil. I have no complaints. Cheers!!

I guess it depends on your cost of electricity in your area..

Out here in California, we pay so damn bloody much for kWh, I'm going with natural gas and saving a bundle.. from my previous posts on another site..

This means that electricity is 9X more expensive than natural gas for me. Propane (according to the HBT post) would cost $0.00004293/BTU, which is 4X more expensive than NG.

That is even after figuring efficiency losses between direct electrode heating vs. heat washing via gas.

Anyways, just saying there is a cost componant to consider... I pay $0.31/kWh for extra electric juice.

Going electric does make for some safe options like remote/timed start of HLT while you sleep, etc. :)
--LexusChris

Back