Electric System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppslover

Reaction score
What would be a good electric system that wont break the bank? I have been looking at 20 gallon systems. I like the idea of being able to do high gravity 10 gallon batches with the option for 15 gallon batches. I would also like to do 5 gallon batches from time to time. I have looked at Brew-Boss and Colorado Brew Systems. With the Brew-Boss I have been told to do 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon kettle it will need to be BIAB and not the cofi basket. Any thoughts or advice?

The ones I have been looking at are 1000 to 1400

Honestly you'd be stretching it to even DIY a 20 gallon BIAB setup for 1k...let alone buying one premade.

Between pots, valves, hoses, pumps, and a control panel your still probably up near the $700 range i'd think.

I like brew boss and Colorado. Both can be purchased for 1 to 1.4k. Don't like that the port for the high gravity is in the lid.

port on top is for recirc of mash its a spray nozzle to keep the mash from tunneling and the temp probe for mashing, once mash is done the lid comes off for boil. Check out the video on the High Gravity site.:)

Honestly you'd be stretching it to even DIY a 20 gallon BIAB setup for 1k...let alone buying one premade.

Between pots, valves, hoses, pumps, and a control panel your still probably up near the $700 range i'd think.
uh... My 15.5 gallon 3 vessel,3 pump + rims and plate chiller setup cost me about $1000-1200... a diy could easily build a stainless setup for 10 gallon brewing for under $400 with a 15 gallon kettle... if someone really needs a huge kettle for some reason and they dont want to really build it themselves they could go with this,

http://www.jaggerbushbrewing.com/BBR-10_p_63.html with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jarhill-96-...hash=item3d002f128b:m:mDt-BCpJc8SaKgPofI6GilA
and this pump with is 3 gallons per minute and food grade at boiling temps http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-6m-19ft...166746?hash=item5419be7b9a:g:jPQAAOSwqu9U1KoV (these can be found for under $20 actually since I have 6 of them and paid under 20 for each.)
throw in an extra $50-$100 for a bag, hoses chiller and fittings and power supply for the pump and your at about $500-$550... and one could shave a lot off that by building thier own panel and drilling their own kettle but that requires a lot more DIY...

You could also buy all the components that High gravity uses in thier system and pay about 1/2 the price they charge.... most of their markup is in their control panel which consists of less than $150 in hardware.

I have. Don't like that there's not port to swirl at the end of the boil on the high gravity.

I wasted a few hours trying to create my own system and it seems like you can't avoid some DIY with a single vessel system. Even some great kettles with plenty of options don't have the options geared toward a single vessel system. IMHO you have to decide how much your time is worth and how much you want exactly the features you want. I trend to value my time more than other things.

I wasted a few hours trying to create my own system and it seems like you can't avoid some DIY with a single vessel system. Even some great kettles with plenty of options don't have the options geared toward a single vessel system. IMHO you have to decide how much your time is worth and how much you want exactly the features you want. I trend to value my time more than other things.
Very true normally but a single vessel BIAB setup is a very simple system to buy components for and build... to argue the flipside of your point, I would think an hr of research when making purchases vs paying an additional $500 just to keep it simple and buy it all from one source who throws it together would be worth it to many to save that $500 or so but some here have more time than money and some have more money than time so... and there is a huge differences in complexity of these systems and their toys which dont necessarily produce any improvement in anything but may be more appealing to different users so... for example bag vs basket... niether has been show to be superior to the other... its kinda like a stainless coffee filter vs the paper ones...

To me...if you really have more money than time then by that justification it kinda makes more sense to just buy your beer instead of spending hrs brewing and cleaning up though doesnt it? building the setup often ends up being just as rewarding and fun if not more as brewing for most who have done it.. thats one of the reasons you have so many home brewers that turn into entrepreneurs selling "their systems"

in any case the OP made the comment about not wanting to break the bank so it would seem that he values his money enough to consider all options including not spending the large markups for someone to gather his components into one shopping basket for him for something as simple and minimalist as a BIAB setup.

I don't mind doing research. Actually I like being over informed before I purchase anything. That being said I don't have the knowledge to build my own controller. I've been looking at a few of the systems that are out there. Brew-Boss High Gravity and Colorado Brew Systems. All single vessel biab systems. All have things I like about them. Not sure I need a program to run my brew process for me which is what I would guess it's driving up the price of the brewboss. Don't know anything about Colorado's controller. Not sure how I feel about the plastic fittings on the high gravity.

I don't mind doing research. Actually I like being over informed before I purchase anything. That being said I don't have the knowledge to build my own controller. I've been looking at a few of the systems that are out there. Brew-Boss High Gravity and Colorado Brew Systems. All single vessel biab systems. All have things I like about them. Not sure I need a program to run my brew process for me which is what I would guess it's driving up the price of the brewboss. Don't know anything about Colorado's controller. Not sure how I feel about the plastic fittings on the high gravity.

I would suggest watching these system in action as well as a regular brew in the bag setup with a simple pid controller. There are a lot of videos on youtube and some go through the whole brew process.. there is no automated programs and such needed... some would even argue that the toys like the automatic hop feeder and such take much of the fun out of brewing the beer.. Everyone has their own take on things.

Try BrauSupply. He has full systems and controllers that aren't too expensive. I think I started with one of his controllers then went and started to shop kettles. I don't own anything from him so I can't vouch for his stuff.

Try BrauSupply. He has full systems and controllers that aren't too expensive. I think I started with one of his controllers then went and started to shop kettles. I don't own anything from him so I can't vouch for his stuff.

I can vouch for it. Top notch, good price. Got my 120v system for $650. 2x1500 watt elements, 9 gallon kettle, controller, 24v pump, all the hose and fittings. I'd definitely buy it again, but with a larger kettle.

For the kettle you can try a place like Brewers Hardware or Colorado Brewing that can do custom work. It might be one way to get exactly what you want for the kettle.

That High Gravity e-biab system is #1 on my wish list.

They are nice people I talked with them a couple of times. For $680 you could essentially build your own with stainless steel quick disconnect when that would be more luxurious system...... there I go again I never just say it, 300 for PID 100 for element and enclosure a good one stainless steel you know 100 for chugger pump 80 for quick disconnect kit including ball valve on outlet hundred for a aluminum kettle..... of course if you had the kettle and you build your own PID you could probably save 200 or so. I'll stand by what I got I got a hot rod and a plug and play PID so I'm 400 no pumps no holes no extra cleanup if it won't work I'll get a pump but probably not

Yeah good numbers here. I wish I had the extra 300 if one does it's probably better just to have it made for you unless you really enjoy building stuff and people here do they make the beautiful things.... I just don't have the go

Not a real big deal, make your own the valve is already there and you just need a hose from pump to top of kettle.

Back