electric masher and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello all,

i have done a fair few all grain brew now and recently brought a electric mashing bin and boiler.

i used it for the first time recently but didnt quite reach my target O.G.

i got the bin upto a bit above 66 C ( the mashing temp stated in the recipe i was following) and added all my grain into a nylon mashing bag, making sure there where no dough balls at all.

i noticed that as the bin automatically turned on, to keep the temperature correct, it would raise a good 5C above the waited mark. i was having to stir it alot to spread the heat about.

the thermometer was located just above the heating element.

the recipe used 4120g of pale malt, of which i actully added another 700g.

also had 360g of sugar, of which i added another 100g.

410g cystal malt
255 torrified weat

the final og should have been 1048, but it came up as about 1044.

can some direct me to where i went wrong, even with the extra sugar and malt added i still cam up low. im guessing it has somthing to do with the temperature control with the element??

sorry for the essay

any help much appreciated!

The higher mash temps could have led to a less fermentable wort. Also how fine your crush on the grains is will have major variance on your efficiency which could also result in a lower than expected OG. the 2 together could easily explain why you OG was lower than desired. But 4points is not all that low.

on the site i purchase the grain from it claims 100% maxium percentage.

i have read somewhere that they dont always tell the truth??

do you think lowering my temperture on the thermostate by a few C will help improve??

thanks

I don't think anyone ever gets 100% efficiency with all grain. I believe the average is 75-85%. Everything I've read indicates a lower mash temp of 145-150F will give you a more fermentable wort as opposed to mashing at say 155-160F which will give you more body but less fermentable wort. Which would leave you with a higher FG. Now with that being said I've never mashed a recipe at a low temp and then mashed an identical recipe at a higher temp to compare the two results, but I do believe that is the general consensus on mashing temps.

Back