Electric is in now comes decision time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The electrician left a couple of hours ago now, so only thing left is to decide what to do....
(why am I so happy over an electrical outlet?)

I have read many threads and debates in these forums over the past 9 months and still keep going back and forth on my setup.

(I put in a 240v 50a GFCI outlet)

I like the idea of a 3V Herms setup and I lean that way, but when I read some comments of easy / short brew days on a BIAB I scratch my head and ask am I over thinking this?

Last edited:
And that is just it, I have been apart of many brew days with my brother in law and they do BIAB but but mash in a cooler with the bag. My thought is I want consistency and repeatability and to be able to big beers.

With electric BIAB, repeatability is easy. To do big beers you just need to plan ahead and buy the right size rig. It’s true I can’t do a huge big beer at the full volume of my kettle though.

I do recirculate. In short it is a benefit but on my specific system it could be better and I am still tuning it. I really like being able to program in temperatures and just relax and have a homebrew while the robot runs things.

(Long version, if I could recirc faster I would see temperature steps nailed more quickly. Currently it takes 10 minutes to see a temperature change reflected deep in the grain bed. To improve this the manufacturer will modify my grain basket to use a more coarse mesh, a change they made in production after I bought my system.)

I do recirculate. In short it is a benefit but on my specific system it could be better and I am still tuning it. I really like being able to program in temperatures and just relax and have a homebrew while the robot runs things.

(Long version, if I could recirc faster I would see temperature steps nailed more quickly. Currently it takes 10 minutes to see a temperature change reflected deep in the grain bed. To improve this the manufacturer will modify my grain basket to use a more coarse mesh, a change they made in production after I bought my system.)

Can I ask what system you use?

Sure:

https://www.cobrewingsystems.com/co...er-home-electric-brew-system-20-gallon-kettle

It's a good system and I really enjoy having the little computer to program in mash steps. In retrospect, since I never use the ability to make more than 5 gallons, I should have probably gotten a smaller system... They sold this in 15 gal kettle size back when I bought it and that would have been better for me. It works out though.

In any recirculating EBIAB system I do think it is worth popping for a sight glass, since you don't to over-pump and expose the element. The sight glass makes it easy to monitor the liquid level. I also got the whirlpool fitting, which is important for both whirlpool steps and circulating during chilling.

It’s cool but there are lots of good cheaper options too. I just went whole hog and bought a bigger system than i needed. Still not sure when I’ll need to make more than a 5 gallon batch!

Check out Clawhammer and High Gravity Brewing for starters.

It’s cool but there are lots of good cheaper options too. I just went whole hog and bought a bigger system than i needed. Still not sure when I’ll need to make more than a 5 gallon batch!

Check out Clawhammer and High Gravity Brewing for starters.

The High Gravity one I was leaning towards, also read the thread about it here too. Very educational.

First, what batch sizes do you want to accomplish and what would be the maximum ABV for each batch size. With that info I can recommend the correct vessel size. Whichever it ends up being, the Blichmann Commander controller is a great value at only $375.

Hey Bobby, thanks for responding.
First, what batch sizes do you want to accomplish and what would be the maximum ABV for each batch size. With that info I can recommend the correct vessel size. Whichever it ends up being, the Blichmann Commander controller is a great value at only $375.

I would be using a 20g BK and Basket.

I plan to do 10 and 5 gallon batches. For the 5 gallon size batches is where I will most likely do 9 to 11 abv styles. The 10 gallon batches would be 6% and below I'd think.

FWIW, I have been following you on this forum and it is you who has made me rethink doing a 3 vessel system.

Last edited:
18.5 gallons is the right size. You can go up to a 20 or 22 but its more than you need.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabpackage10elec240.htm

Add the commander.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/abrewcommander-240v.htm

Recirculation is optional. It is typically way over-rationalized. An occasional stir is all you need. I have a low whirlpool return and I will pump to that during heat up, mashing and chilling simply to make temps more homogeneous between the element and temp sensor.

If you do want to pump, I really like the TD5 for compact and quiet. The Riptide is a small step up if you dont mind the extra 70 bucks.

The electrician left a couple of hours ago now, so only thing left is to decide what to do....
(why am I so happy over an electrical outlet?)

I have read many threads and debates in these forums over the past 9 months and still keep going back and forth on my setup.

(I put in a 240v 50a GFCI outlet)

I like the idea of a 3V Herms setup and I lean that way, but when I read some comments of easy / short brew days on a BIAB I scratch my head and ask am I over thinking this?
better to have more than you need and not use it than wish you had more and not have it.

18.5 gallons is the right size. You can go up to a 20 or 22 but its more than you need.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabpackage10elec240.htm

Add the commander.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/abrewcommander-240v.htm

Recirculation is optional. It is typically way over-rationalized. An occasional stir is all you need. I have a low whirlpool return and I will pump to that during heat up, mashing and chilling simply to make temps more homogeneous between the element and temp sensor.

If you do want to pump, I really like the TD5 for compact and quiet. The Riptide is a small step up if you dont mind the extra 70 bucks.

Bobby would that false bottom work on a 20G Blichmann kettle with a boil coil in it?

I wouldn't recommend it as the coil sits really high up. I've heard that you can let the bag touch the boil coil but I haven't personally confirmed that. Do you have a line on a used Blichmann kettle for a really good price? If not, I would not recommend a new one for BIAB. Tons of the cost is wrapped up in a sightglass and dial thermometer you don't need. What you're left with is an overpriced kettle with a plugged hole.

I wouldn't recommend it as the coil sits really high up. I've heard that you can let the bag touch the boil coil but I haven't personally confirmed that. Do you have a line on a used Blichmann kettle for a really good price? If not, I would not recommend a new one for BIAB. Tons of the cost is wrapped up in a sightglass and dial thermometer you don't need. What you're left with is an overpriced kettle with a plugged hole.

I was just considering the Blichmann line as my 3V system. thought being if I go BIAB first I already my BK for a larger system. Being I change my mind and don't care for BIAB if that came to be the case.

I have brewed on a Brew Built Herms pilot system at a local brewery. We brewed the beer and we tapped at my local bar. (long story but yes we did) I liked that system and wanted to replicate it, using electric. However after reading about 6-8hr brew days on a herms I was like, hmmmm. Maybe I need to rethink or be prepared to clean. Hence this thread maybe I guess.

In a perfect world would be a system I could do a standard 3v brew herms and if I feel like being lazy I could go single vessel with minor changes. OR start with single vessel, and upgrade with minor changes / add-ons.

As far as Brewbuilt, my only thing with them was the tun and it's gasket for the false bottom. Seemed to be a pain maybe vs a system that doesn't require one.

Last edited:
I was reluctant about BIAB at first. I wanted to find fault in the process. I've even done a few 3-vessel HERMS brews since to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. No. Way. will I ever go back to 3 vessel and the 6 hour brew day when I can make the same wort in less than 4.

I was reluctant about BIAB at first. I wanted to find fault in the process. I've even done a few 3-vessel HERMS brews since to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. No. Way. will I ever go back to 3 vessel and the 6 hour brew day when I can make the same wort in less than 4.

Bobby what kettle do you use and could I see a picture of your setup?

Edit: second question, is there any issues with the gasket/seal on the false bottom of the brewbuilt tun? Getting it in place and such?

Last edited:
A middle ground is 2V, which avoids the bag hoisting and allows flexibility for big beers. I can’t assail the logic of why use 3V where 2V will do... why use 2V where an appropriately size 1V will do... but for me, didn’t want to hoist 50 lb of hot wet grain (1/2 bbl) and didn’t have the space for 3V, hence 2V k-rims was the optimum.

I got my system from High Gravity and have been exceedingly happy with it.

A middle ground is 2V, which avoids the bag hoisting and allows flexibility for big beers. I can’t assail the logic of why use 3V where 2V will do... why use 2V where an appropriately size 1V will do... but for me, didn’t want to hoist 50 lb of hot wet grain (1/2 bbl) and didn’t have the space for 3V, hence 2V k-rims was the optimum.

I got my system from High Gravity and have been exceedingly happy with it.

A 2V system was my first choice and was almost ready to buy. My only issue I can't seem to overcome is batch size. I want to be able to 5 and 10 gallon batches. Most times it would be 5 for most beers, but ones i really like or for parties I want to do 10. I was going to buy a setup to do 10 gallon batches but from what I see it is real hard to 5 gallons on a system that size.

Is this true on your end?

It's all about batch size imho. If your doing 5gal batches biab is a no brainer. 10gal batches is a toss up depending on your specific setup/needs. 15gal+ I'd go with a traditional mash setup. A 3v system won't make better end product than biab imho. I brew on a 18gal 3v eherms,a 5gal propane biab and a 2.5gal electric biab fwiw. If I started over tommorow I'd build a 5gal ebiab system. Cheers

A 2V system was my first choice and was almost ready to buy. My only issue I can't seem to overcome is batch size. I want to be able to 5 and 10 gallon batches. Most times it would be 5 for most beers, but ones i really like or for parties I want to do 10. I was going to buy a setup to do 10 gallon batches but from what I see it is real hard to 5 gallons on a system that size.

Is this true on your end?

Only limit on minimum size on the 2V is covering the heating element at the bottom. For 10G max batch size, you’d be fine with a 15G/15G as your boil start would be one the order of 7G. On the mash tun, I use the auto sparge that can be set to any angle and I’ve seen longer throw arms used to enable effective control of smaller batches.

Time is my most valued asset so I max out batch size to keep a good variety in the pipeline and not run dry. I may actually do a 10G batch for the first time coming up, only since it’s a tripel and the high octane brews tend to have lower consumption rate (still working to finish the 15% ABV Cyzer made a year+ back on the old 5 G system!)

I currently use a 10 gallon bayou classic kettle with a BIAB false bottom over a 5500 watt ripple element. I use a Topsflo TD5 pump to stir the wort below the false bottom via a low mounted whirlpool return. I only do 6 gallon batches. I have an overhead eyebolt to hang a rope ratchet pulley to hold the bag over the pot. 72% efficiency, mild squeezing of the bag.

I agree with others above that scaling up to 11-12 gallons is very doable granted the overhead lift point. Without it, your opinion of the process will be very negative. When comparing a single vessel BIAB to a 2 vessel, my observations:

2 vessel requires another extra kettle with false bottom and autosparge which is an added cost and cleaning regimen. It also requires either a gravity flow setup or another pump. It doesn't require lifting a heavy bag out but it does require scooping all the grain out. In the end, I just don't see even 50% benefit for 100% more cost.

RE: mash tun...I have not had any problems, or heard of any problems with the Brewbuilt gasketed false bottom. I don't recommend installing or removing it with a fully dry kettle. I just spritz the inside of the kettle with starsan before installing. Usually I remove it right after scooping mash out so the walls are already wet. Granted I've only used the system about 4 times but I remain in contact with several local customers that have the same system.

Bobby, If I want to recirculate while doing BIAB how would that need to be set up with your setup?

Thanks, Man

Bobby, If I want to recirculate while doing BIAB how would that need to be set up with your setup?

Thanks, Man

Mash recirculation kit in the lid.
MashRecirculation-2T.jpg

Back