Electric Hot water tank with a Ranco controller as an HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promontory

Reaction score
I just came across a smaller electric hot water tank. I am double checking make and model to confirm size but it looks like 15-20 gal at least.

It also has a Ranco Controller attached to it. I can pick it up for $50, which as far as I know is at least the cost of a Ranco anyways.

I am doing Extract brewing but really want to jump into All Grain. Can I setup this Hot water tank as my HLT? Is there any cleaning or anything I should do assuming everything works as it should? I mean I only need 170' water most of the time if my reading is correct.

I am in the US so I think that means the tank is Glass lined?

Thanks so much... Thoughts?

Does it go as high as 170F? If so, you could use it but I'd be concerned with cleaning it out (sight unseen of course).

Any ideas how to clean it? I think the temp issue should be fine and the ranco is $50 anyway.

My thought was just to run a starsan/water mix through it...

thoughts?

Cool. I am picking it up next weekend. I'll post pics when I do... Electric HLT into a cooler Mashtun to retain heat.

thanks for the advice.

I just went by a super small-scale local micro-brewery the other day that does just that.
Roth Brewing? I noticed that when I was there too. I guess they must be overriding the default thermostat, because those things are only supposed to go to about 125 F.

A local Seattle guy that has random equipment at random times. It isn't very complicated though. The Ranco is wired in just like the normal controls would be.

Back