Electric HLT Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetter

Reaction score
Sorry for the newb question if this has been answered before, but I can't find anything while doing a search.
I am currently setting up a AG three tier system, 19 gal HLT pot, 10 gal cooler, 15 gal BK. I currently have a Blichman floor burner for the BK, and my plan was to transfer 150* water to the HLT with a 1 gal pitcher. I really want to avoid pumps if at all possible just for simplicity.
I have seen a few setups that use a hot plate of some sort for the HLT, does this work OK in this application? If so, what types are people using?
I have also considered a Hot stick, would this work? Or could I make a heating element setup that sit on top and inside the HLT? If so, could some one point me in the right direction on how this is done?

If so, what types are people using?
My 15 gallon HLT sits on a shelf and gravity feeds to the MLT. There's a 3000W heating element with a thermostatic control in the HLT. A sluggish part of my brewday is filling the HLT one gallon at a time. Partly because I use a small single stage water filter at the sink that has a slow flow rate. It’s not perfect, but workable. The difference between what you propose is that my water goes into the HLT at ground water temperature.

ElectricBrewery 03.jpg

My 15 gallon HLT sits on a shelf and gravity feeds to the MLT. There's a 3000W heating element with a thermostatic control in the HLT. A sluggish part of my brewday is filling the HLT one gallon at a time. Partly because I use a small single stage water filter at the sink that has a slow flow rate. It’s not perfect, but workable. The difference between what you propose is that my water goes into the HLT at ground water temperature.

Thanks AnOldUR.
Actually, I was planning on just putting the water in at ground temp too, if I could find a good electrical way to heat the water.
So your element is through the side of the pot? Do you have a build thread?

The latest issue of BYO has me intrigued about induction heating. Would that be an option for you?

Yes it would. I was wondering if the induction hot plates would be able to heat 15 gallons of water?

Actually, I boil with induction. Works great!

That would also be an option for an HLT, but the heating element is a cheaper way to just heat water. And although you can set a temperature with induction, I find using a heating element with a temperature control to be more accurate.

Sorry, no build thread, but it's not much different than the many already posted. Drill hole, insert element. The main difference with mine is that I found an element with a built in temperature control on eBay and lucked out getting it for the minimum bid of $1.

I have not seen any hotplates rated for more than 1000 watts.

A 1000 watt hot plate is going to take a very long time to heat enough mash liquor
to brew a 5 gallon batch.

I think this is part of the reason you see so many systems with large immersible heating elements.

A resistive element electric hot plate also has the handicap of not transferring heat as efficiently as a submerged heating element inside the kettle.

Thank you everyone for the replies, all great info. obviously I am a newb.:mug:
What is the best method in mounting a element through the kettle? Or would a heatstick be enough to heat the HLT to 170*? I did some searching, and did find a few home made heat stick applications.

I have not seen any hotplates rated for more than 1000 watts.

A 1000 watt hot plate is going to take a very long time to heat enough mash liquor
to brew a 5 gallon batch.

I think this is part of the reason you see so many systems with large immersible heating elements.

A resistive element electric hot plate also has the handicap of not transferring heat as efficiently as a submerged heating element inside the kettle.

Here is one at 3500W.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/will-cheap-3500-watt-induction-burner-work-301722/

OP, according to that thread, 10 gallons on that induction cooktop is fine. Not sure about 15.

Back