Electric Fermentation heater outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatchstickBrewingCo.

Reaction score
I'm looking in to buying this (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/electric-fermentation-heater.html) electric fermentation heater and was just wanted ask a question to anyone thats used one.

I was thinking about using it in my basement but realized my basement is too hot most of the time. Has anyone tried using this in a garage when its 30-50 degrees outside? Does it get hot enough to bring a glass carboy to around 65 degrees? would I have to worry about the carboy shattering?

I know that it would work great in a fridge but I won't have a fridge to use for a few more weeks and have the itch to brew very soon as I'm sure most of you can understand.

Has anyone experimented using something else as a "chamber" like an aluminum trash can or something cheap of that nature? Sorry for the dumb questions!

No experience using one outside of a ferm chamber but if the garage gets that cold I'd be afraid of thermal shock in the glass carboy

Basement gets up to high 70's when heat is on so unless I get my fridge up from PA I think the basement is out of the questions.

duboman... I was kind of worried about the thermal shock too, thats why I wanted to see if anyone had any direct experience with this.

Thanks for the input!

Put your carboy in the garage with the heater, then put a big cardboard box over the whole thing. The cardboard had 2 advantages over the trash can. It's really cheap, and it's an insulator. It should work good. Put a piece of wood under the carboy to insulate it from the garage floor.

Back