Electric Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Traveling_Brewer

Reaction score
My brewing situation isn't ideal. I'm in a third floor apartment with a weak electric stove. In the warmer months I've been brewing outdoors on my propane burner at friends houses. Now due to winter and being unable to brew at friends house for a while, I'm looking into moving indoors with electric brewing. Ideally I don't want to move down to smaller boils but will if I have to.
I'm looking for recommendations for burners to buy. I'm looking to boil at least 3 gallons and only have regular outlets in my apartment. I'm not sure if the induction burners use regular plugs or not.
It's getting a little frustrating being unable to brew and I'm staining my brain trying to come up with a good method. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do you have a washer and dryer in your apartment? is it electric? Do you have an electric cooktop in the apartment?

An induction cooktop + a heat stick or 2k watt element in a kettle should be good for a 3-5 gallon boil but you will need to make sure you are on separate circuits.

Do you have a washer and dryer in your apartment? is it electric? Do you have an electric cooktop in the apartment?

An induction cooktop + a heat stick or 2k watt element in a kettle should be good for a 3-5 gallon boil but you will need to make sure you are on separate circuits.

Unfortunately I don't have a washer and dryer. My stove is electric but it is old and won't even boil 3 gallons.

Probably the best thing to do is figure out what your electrical situation is. For you, heat sticks sound like the way to go, if you can determine you have a couple outlets near the kitchen on different circuits. First figure out if you have an accessible circuit breaker box. If so, the tool-less way to figure out circuits is to plug lamps into different outlets until you find outlets on different circuits (lamp plugged into 1 outlet turns off after flipping breaker, while second lamp plugged into different outlet stays on). If your testing turns out positive, then I would suggest a YouTube search for building heat sticks. There are plenty of videos out there. You will need two heat sticks to boil a 5 gallon batch. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tim

Most Electric stove top elements ( the big ones) are 2600 watts some are a bit bigger. If your pot is big enough, place over two of them with the lid on it should boil 5 gallons eventually.

Or a heat stick would speed it along.

If you really are daring...Your electric stove is probably 220...You could tap into that and put a spa panel/GFIC -eBrewery outlet out from there. Probably best off to find a thirsty electrician to help you with this though...

My brewing situation isn't ideal. I'm in a third floor apartment with a weak electric stove. In the warmer months I've been brewing outdoors on my propane burner at friends houses. Now due to winter and being unable to brew at friends house for a while, I'm looking into moving indoors with electric brewing. Ideally I don't want to move down to smaller boils but will if I have to.
I'm looking for recommendations for burners to buy. I'm looking to boil at least 3 gallons and only have regular outlets in my apartment. I'm not sure if the induction burners use regular plugs or not.
It's getting a little frustrating being unable to brew and I'm staining my brain trying to come up with a good method. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The smaller induction burners (1800W or less) almost certainly have a standard household plug on them.

I've read though some of the threads on induction burners and from what I gather so far, an 1800W model should do a boil on 3gal.

That said, I cannot make a guarantee because I have not personally done it.

Latest posts

Back