Electric Build - Stilldragon DIY Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I just finished wiring up a spa panel and four prong outlet off my main breaker box, and I have a few questions about wiring up my controller.

1) All of the diagrams online show the wiring diagram for the Still Dragon DIY Controller Kit with a 3 wire set up. Given that I'm working with four, how does this change things? I was also just planning on cannibalizing a dryer cord, as they're clearly 30a rated and let me skip wiring up a plug. Is there any issue with this?

2) I've looked far and wide for a 240v 30a switch (running a 5500w element) and can't seem to come up with one. Does such a beast exist? I'd really like the ability to have a quick full shut off switch, rather than just having to crank down the knob.

EDIT: Would a switch like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MPQ51O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Work?

Thanks in advance, all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree on just wirenutting the neutral capped off since you are not using any 120v accessories. If you eventually wire in a pump outlet or something like that, you'll need it. Yes, that 30a double pole switch will work for what you want to do.

I use the lighted version of that switch from HD linked above as a cheapo E Stop on my still dragon controller. Works great, simple to wire in up. Very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back